Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please help a newbie out...  (Read 8130 times)

ArcaneDreams

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please help a newbie out...
« on: July 08, 2006, 04:32:23 PM »

I haven't broke down and bought a whole x10 system yet. I have a few quesitons I need answered first, and I figured the forum would be the best place to get multiple input.

Question 1: Are there any small screw-in lamp modules out there that support dimming? It would be great if the socket rocket supported dimming, but I have read it doesn't. I know that wired lamp modules are compact and can dim..however I live in an apartment and cannot add/remove wiring without possibly running into problems with the land-lord.

Question 2: I would like to have every light in my apartment on an individual code/house setting so I can operate them independantly. There arent many..maybe 10-15 at most. My question is, If I have 3 keychain remotes, could I program them all differently to controll different lights?

Ex: Lets say I want to program remote 1's first button to turn on a light in the hallway and on the porch. (remember the hallway and porch lights are on different codes). Then I want remote 2's first button to be able to disarm a motion sensor, and turn on the lights in the hallway.

Is that possible with activehome? I'm guessing I will have to make some macros to do this...which I'm not concered about. Im confident in my programming skills.

Question 3: Does active home have any features that would allow it to call my cellphone if lets say...a motion sensor went off? I know there are x10 devices out there that can do this..however they are pricey. If not..does anyone know of a cheap device that can do this?

Question 4: I think I have a phase coupler problem. It seems the house is divided into 2 sections. It is pretty much split down the hallway. Its like the two sides of my apartment cannot communicate. However..there is one plug-in that can controll both sides (I assume becuase its close to the circut breaker), however it cannot reach to the very end of my apartment on either phase. I seen for $20 you can get a phase coupler, but my question is: Since I don't have a dryer outlet to plug it into, could I use my electric stove outlet? I am guessing it would be fine since they are basically the same thing. The only thing I'm concerned about is the fact that my stove is as far as it can possibly get away from the circut breaker.

You would think there would be a simple solution with RF transmitters/recievers. Is there a product out that simply turns x10 signals into rf frequencies, and a device that turns rf frequencies to x10 signals? If so I could simply install some RF stuff to bridge the gap that way.

If someone could please answer these questions I woudl be greatful! I have done my best to research each quesiton I have...and have came up short.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 06:30:28 PM by ArcaneDreams »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Please help a newbie out...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 07:51:14 AM »

#1 X10 use to have a screw in module model SL575 [X10Pro PLM02]. It was not as small as the LM15A Socket Rocket, but dimmed. Also was set with the House and Unit Code Dials seen on many X10 devices. X10 shows the SL575 as Sold Out, but some of the web based Automation dealers  still have them; on a quick search I made. If you want the data sheet on it. It maybe in the X10 Support area or on the X10PRO web site in the installation manuals tab for the PLM02. Note: They are bulkier and larger than the LM15A Socket Rocket. I have used a few SL575s myself.

#2 You could program remotes to different addresses and carry a pocket full of them. I believe AHP could be triggered by a received on or off code and then send the modules address with a macro. Hopefully someone that has done this will give details.

#4 Yes a stove one would work, if you find one that matches the stoves plug. I believe that some stove and dryer outlets are not the same.You are correct on the weak signal thing. If Phase A signal is weak; at the coupler;  the coupled signal back to Phase B would be just as weak to start off.
They do make plug in Coupler/Repeaters. Where the signal from one phase is resent stronger on the other phase.

You may also have to think of signal suckers and powerline noise generating devices. That could need an X10 filter so that the X10 signals on the powerline are not compromised.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:12:47 AM by Brian H »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »

...I live in an apartment and cannot add/remove wiring without possibly running into problems with the land-lord....
Yeah that can be a real pain. I use to put X10 switches in anyway and take them out when I moved. It was a hassell but I really wanted control of some of the overhead lights. Use modules as much as you can. No wiring there.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:15:28 PM »

...Question 2: I would like to have every light in my apartment on an individual code... ...could I program them all differently to controll different lights?...
..I believe AHP could be triggered by a received on or off code and then send the modules address with a macro. Hopefully someone that has done this will give details....
I don't see any reason why you couldn't pick a HC and use different unit codes for the items you wish to control. I've put most of my macros on HC "M". I then use the HR12A remote set for HC "M" to trigger the macros. There are smaller remotes that could work for you also. The credit card one comes to mind. I believe it controls 8 different codes. As Brian H said AHP macros can be triggered by an ON or an OFF so you could control 16 macros with it.

...Question 3: Does active home have any features that would allow it to call my cellphone...
Well I don't think AHP can call you but there are 3rd party programs that can. Search the forum. It's been mentioned a few times.
AHP can email you, however. The catch is any macro using the email feature must be run from the computer.
e.g. I have a pair of marcos that run when power is restored. The first does all the "work" and runs from the CM15A. Then it triggers a second macro that emails me. This way I can be pretty sure lights are turned off, coffee pot is off, garage door closed, etc even if the computer isn't running AHP to email me.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.