Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do I need for simple automation of a light?  (Read 3997 times)

hilgerdenaar

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What do I need for simple automation of a light?
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:26:17 PM »

Hi all,

I want a light that slowly brightens in the morning, to wake me up gradually.  So, e.g. at 6am it starts, and slowly gets brighter over the next 10 minutes.  I also want to be able to turn the lamp on and off, e.g. when I wake up or during the day.

So, what do I need to do this?  ActiveHome Pro seems like overkill, and costs $50 just for the PC interface.  Can I do it with the original ActiveHome?  With FireCracker?

I'm a pretty accomplished programmer, so I wouldn't mind writing some code to do this if need be.  In fact, I'd enjoy it.  But if I can do it without programming, that would probably be better just because it would be quicker.

Thanks,
Martin

x10marko

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: What do I need for simple automation of a light?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »

I can't think of another way at this moment, other than with software.

I use a MiniTimer to wake. I am a deep sleeper, so I have my lights turned on right away, stereo started and coffee ready.
(www.x10minitimer.com)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 11:20:41 PM »

...I want a light that slowly brightens in the morning, to wake me up gradually.  So, e.g. at 6am it starts, and slowly gets brighter over the next 10 minutes.  I also want to be able to turn the lamp on and off, e.g. when I wake up or during the day....
Other than a software solution as Marko mentioned, you would need a switch that had a settable ramp rate to brighten. I know there are switches that do this but am not sure if the time can be drawn out for 10 minutes. I don't believe X10 carries them. Maybe SmartHome does.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

x10 newbie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

Smarthome does have a wall switch that has an adjustable "ramp rate" which will gradually brighten the fixture.  it gives you a nice feel with local control of the light. You can combine with a mini-timer (the alarm clock would be good for your application) to achive what you want.

good luck

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:28:21 PM »

hilgerdenaar

Using a Smarthome, PCS, etc. switch with  programmable ramp rate may have disadvantages. You will need a switch that can do "scenes" and program with multiple ramp rates. Otherwise EVERYTIME you turn on (and off) the light, it will take 9 minutes.

You may want to reconsider Marko's suggestion of doing it with software.

BTW PCS can have as much as a 9 minute ramp, I do not think the smarthome switches are quite as long, but I am not sure.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:23:37 PM »

... [a] switch with  programmable ramp rate may have disadvantages.... ...EVERYTIME you turn on (and off) the light, it will take 9 minutes....
I was wondering about that. I have one switch that has a ramp ON and OFF. I don't recall if the ramp time was settable or not. It currently is about 2 sec. I also have it set to come on to a particular brightness. I can take it to full brightness pretty quickly with a 2nd flip up of the switch. Since my ramp setting is only 2 sec, I can't really say if the quick double flip up really speeds things to full brightness or not. It appears like it may though that may be just wishful observation on my part.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.