Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: activehome pro will not control my sc546a chime  (Read 9042 times)

junkymagi

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
activehome pro will not control my sc546a chime
« on: July 24, 2006, 10:56:34 PM »

get the animation on screen but no sound out of the chime.

only time it "dings" is when I plug it in

I have the cm15a interface and ms14a sensor

I'm trying to get the chime to go off when the sensor detects movement, which doesn't work if the interface can't control the dang thing to begin with

I'm plugging them into the same outlet (also tried a power strip with them next to each other) so it's not the phase problem

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: activehome pro will not control my sc546a chime
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:08:13 PM »

That's because AHP alone does not support the sc546a.  I don't know if having the add-ons to AHP add it.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

fuzz54

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 11:13:30 PM »

Just want to make sure I understand....  You have the chime plugged in and added into Activehome Pro, but when you click on it in the PC interface it won't sound?  

Have you downloaded all macros and timers to the transciever?  I think Activehome Pro will warn you about that when you quit the program though if you haven't done so before quitting.

Also, I have Activehome Pro and it was controlling the remote chime just fine.  I stopped using the chime and am switching to the Universal Module due to problems with the chime and two-way lamp module communications. So I don't think you need the add ons as was suggested.

junkymagi

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:44:37 PM »

according to what I read, if I put the sensor to B1 and the chime to B2, the chime should be sounded if something triggers the sensor, not happening

tried clicking it in the AHP program, nada

tried making a macro to activate the chime, macro seems to run but no chimes

and why wouldn't it support the chime? It's in the list of modules????

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:56:56 PM »

according to what I read, if I put the sensor to B1 and the chime to B2, the chime should be sounded if something triggers the sensor, not happening

• Set MS14A to B1
  • Set SC546A to B1
  • Leave CM15A out of the picture for now
  • If MS14A is set to B1, B2 is *AUTOMAGICALLY* set to control a lamp via the MS14A photocell (unless you disable it - I started out with the MS12, so I don't remember WHERE, in the product line, the option to disable was added though...)

...tried making a macro to activate the chime, macro seems to run but no chimes

I only have CM11A experience, but, IMO, unless a module needs extended codes or dimming, ON and OFF shouldn't matter (i.e. you can tell the CM15A it's an Appliance Module or a Universal Module - as long as you set the SC546A to the SAME ADDRESS, it should work).

P.S. Buy yourself (at least) ONE WIRED TRANSMITTER - it's always nice to know UPFRONT that a module actually works before you start troubleshooting everything else around it! ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:46:51 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

junkymagi

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 01:07:52 AM »

I have the CM15A, it plugs into the wall and has usb to program by computer.

isn't that a "wired controller"?

junkymagi

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »

• Set MS14A to B1
  • Set SC546A to B1
  • Leave CM15A out of the picture for now
  • If MS14A is set to B1, B2 is *AUTOMAGICALLY* set to control a lamp via the MS14A photocell (unless you disable it - I started out with the MS12, so I don't remember WHERE, in the product line, the option to disable was added though...)

...tried making a macro to activate the chime, macro seems to run but no chimes

I only have CM11A experience, but, IMO, unless a module needs extended codes or dimming, ON and OFF shouldn't matter (i.e. you can tell the CM15A it's an Appliance Module or a Universal Module - as long as you set the SC546A to the SAME ADDRESS, it should work).

P.S. Buy yourself (at least) ONE WIRED TRANSMITTER - it's always nice to know UPFRONT that a module actually works before you start troubleshooting everything else around it! ;)

I've ordered several things from x10 and sorry to say, I'm extremely disapointed so far. Never got rebates from previous orders applied to new orders (though I was emailed by support for the rebate codes, which I sent 2 weeks ago, never got another peep from support or credits on account). I build and work on computers all day but I can't get this stupid thing to work. I've got 2 wired cameras, macros would only record a clip on my computer the first time the motion sensors detected movement, would never fire off again. I've got 2 of the CM15As but can't get them to transceive any house code to the chime.

This page  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Remote_Chime
says that if I set the chime and sensor to the same codes (ie B2) and set the CM15A to transceive house code B, I don't need macros to do anything, it says it WILL transceive between the two modules.

I can't get it to control the chime at all, no matter what I try.

fdf

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:58:36 PM »

I have the CM15A, it plugs into the wall and has usb to program by computer.

isn't that a "wired controller"?

For troubleshooting purposes, I'd say no.

You want to follow the K.I.S.S. methodology - PUSH BUTTON -> MODULE RESPONDS.

There are settings in the CM15A that you could have incorrect - if you set the correct Housecode on a WIRED controller, well, it doesn't leave too much more room for error... ;)

...I've ordered several things from x10 and sorry to say, I'm extremely disapointed so far. Never got rebates from previous orders applied to new orders (though I was emailed by support for the rebate codes, which I sent 2 weeks ago, never got another peep from support or credits on account)...

As difficult as it may be for an X-10 Newbie to do, please TRY to keep X-10 Research & Development separate from the rest (Sales, Marketing, Web Design, Tech Support, Shipping, etc...). R&D has been creating Neat Stuff and they make it available to us "Geeks" at LOW prices (when you *WAIT* for the SALES!). IMO, you'll find a lot of "Old-Timers" in R&D and upper Management, but hardly any anywhere else (minimum wage -> high turnover, etc...). I've been reading here about a LOT of X-10 "problems" in Customer Service, Sales, Marketing, Web Design, Shipping the past few weeks and I certainly can empathize with you.

But, stick with it, remain polite, and escalate as necessary - if you're any kind of "Tinkerer", you'll enjoy it in the long run. :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:06:28 PM by TakeTheActive »

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »

Set both the chime and motion sensor to B1 as TakeTheActive said in a previous post but also make sure that you have B set in AHP to be a transceived house code. You will find this setting under the configuration menu in AHP..
_ _ ...  ..._ _

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 03:34:40 PM »

This page  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Remote_Chime
says that if I set the chime and sensor to the same codes (ie B2) and set the CM15A to transceive house code B, I don't need macros to do anything, it says it WILL transceive between the two modules.

I can't get it to control the chime at all, no matter what I try.

[NOTE to Self: Don't answer technical questions either late at night or when you have a bad sinus headache.  :-[ ]

Last night, I completely missed the fact that your CM15A is your *ONLY* RF Receiver, PLC Transmitter!  :-[ Today, it JUMPS out at me. :o

What I'm attempting to convey to you is the idea that you cannot assume that everything will work either because it's Brand New or because you "assume / believe / think" that you've set it up correctly.

Yes, if you do what the Wiki says, it "should" work fine! It doesn't - so what's broken?

• Do you own ANY other modules that you can set to B2 and see if the MS14A and CM15A work?
  • Do you have ANY other transmitters that you can set to B2 and see if the SC546A works?
  • Do you have ANY other RF receivers that you can set to Housecode B and see if the MS14A works?

Do you see where I'm heading?  Break it down into the SMALLEST logical pieces, get them working independently, and THEN attempt to combine them.

...I build and work on computers all day but I can't get this stupid thing to work.

Have you read my X-10 FAQ in my SIG LINK and the X-10 Checklist that I posted here?

No matter what your qualifications, get some background as to the "Ins-and-Outs" of X-10 before you get yourself even more frustrated.

It REALLY DOES WORK! :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:44:17 PM by TakeTheActive »

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »

...but also make sure that you have B set in AHP to be a transceived house code. You will find this setting under the configuration menu in AHP..

He says that he already did:

...This page  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Setting_Up_the_Remote_Chime

That's why I'm asking him to break everything down into the smallest pieces possible and verify that the individual components work. Having a Mini-Controller, a RR501, a PalmPad and a Universal Module (and, OF COURSE, an ELK Signal Meter! ;) ) available in your "Junkbox" would be IDEAL for this testing phase... :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 04:08:34 PM by TakeTheActive »

junkymagi

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:25:54 PM »

let me list what I've got and tell you, I've spent over 5 hours putting them in different pairs, trying to get a chime to make a sound but nada.

I have
2  CM15A usb transceivers
2 SC546A chimes
2 MS14A sensors
2 wired, color/sound bullet cams (left out of testing because I'm trying to get a motion activated chime going)

I have a power strip for putting the CM15As on with the chimes directly above them so they are as close as they can get, not a surge protector, no way it's blocking signals  (wish the chimes were wireless, the CM15A doesn't have a problem getting signals from the motion sensors when they are triggered). I've tried setting the CM15A to different house codes (both monitored and transceived) and putting the chimes to the same house code (tried them ALL).

I just ordered

Qty Part Description
1 TM751 Small Wireless Transceiver
1 UM506 Universal Module

I hope these work, if not, I'll be asking for refunds on the whole kit-n-kaboodle. These things are marketed to the end user, not professional installers, and they said nothing about juryrigging them to get them to work (though, if there was a way, I'd open the CM15A and the SC546A up and wire them directly together since the CM has no problems getting signals from the motion sensor, I just want the damn thing to activate the chimes).

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 03:21:46 AM »

There are a couple of things you've told us or haven't told us which confused the issue.  The first is when you said you had the motion detector on B1 and the chime on B2.  The second is that you didn't tell us you had two chimes and two CM15As and neither  combo worked.

Now assuming you've tried using only one CM15A at a time with one chime at a time and have configured the CM15A to transceive on the housecode of the chime and motion detector and neither chime works with either CM15A, then the most likely problem is noise (or a signal sucker) on the power line, possibly from your PC pwer supply or UPS, possibly from some other appliance in your house with a switching power supply, like a TV or VCR.

The first thing I'd try is to _unplug from the wall_ all possible noisy/signal-sucking appliances like PC, TV and VCR - merely turning them off won't necessarily help.  If the chime then works, plug in one appliance at a time until it stops working.  If you find an offending appliance, then you'll have to purchase an X10-compatible noise filter for it.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

Junkymagi

Although you ordered a TM751 RF tranceiver, I do not see a RF remote to actually "push a botton" on,  to send a signal to your chime module to test and isolate problems.

You will need something like the "Palm Pad Controller" in conjunction with the TM751.

http://www.x10.com/automation/wireless_remotes.html

As "TaketheActive" stated initially, you need a "wired controller" to help eliminate the variables created by RF remotes which the TM751 acts as a receiver for. You could get a "mini controller" from X10, or try your locale Radio Shark:

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=plug%20n%20power&origkw=Plug%20n%20power

Radio Shark is dumping their "Plug N Power" line which is compatable with X10. The "home automation min controller" (RS # 61-3001) is only $3, if they have any left. It will send X10 commands so you can make sure the programming you have in the CM15A is correct and the SC546A is working.

As TakeTheActive said..."this stuff really does work"....it just takes a little effort and understanding. You will get there.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.