Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Older TV with no video input  (Read 16581 times)

hrhangell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Older TV with no video input
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:47:36 AM »

I'm stumped as to how to get the video feed from my camera to show on my older TV.  I did just purchase a VCR to record from the camera using motion sensors.  The new VCR has the video input jacks that the older TV does not - to complicate things I have a satellite receiver.  HELP!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Older TV with no video input
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:33 AM »

Connect the camera receiver to the audio/video (A/V) inputs on the VCR.

If your satellite receiver has an unused coaxial (like cable TV) input usually marked something like cable or antenna or ANT IN, connect the VCR's coaxial OUT connector to that.  Then turn on the VCR and tune it to the A/V input you connected the camera receiver to (the method varies by VCR, so check the instruction manual).  Then use the satellite receiver remote to select the local (cable) channel the VCR outputs on (usually 3 or 4).

Otherwise, you will have to buy something...

Cheapest would be a switchbox (either manual or remote-controlled depending on your budget and whether or not you want to get up and press a button when you want to view the cameras).  Make sure it has two (or more) coaxial inputs and one coaxial output.  Connect the satellite receiver to one input and the VCR to the other input.  Connect the output to the TV.  Make sure the VCR's output channel is set to the same channel you use to view the satellite receiver.  Switching the input on the switch box will then select either the satellite receiver or the VCR (cameras).

Otherwise, break-down and buy a new TV.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Older TV with no video input
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:29:26 AM »

They also make a converter ($20-$30) to convert RCA input to the RF signal. They're real popular for people hooking up DVD players to older TVs. Keep in mind signal quality is lost when you convert the video signal to RF so that your TV can receive the RF on channel 3 and convert it back to the video.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.