Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are all x10 modules compatible? x10 vs. x10 "pro"?  (Read 6704 times)

horizonjob

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Are all x10 modules compatible? x10 vs. x10 "pro"?
« on: August 29, 2006, 11:39:06 AM »

I just had a GE Simon installed. The installer initially told me that any x10 module would work with the system and that I could go to a Home Depot or Radio Shack for them. When he was back later to add a smoke detector, he said that the salesperson told him that I needed to have "x10 pro" modules (and promptly sold me one for about $25).

I've read that some x10 modules are supposed to be more sensitive than others or are brand labeled for certain companies, but do I need to buy "x10 pro" or is that just another brand name? I would think that x10 is a standard - is it? The reason that I'm not convinced is that I just had a garage door opener installed that was a "Security+" unit, yet three remotes I got didn't work with it. I later found out that it was a professional version that required Security+ with a purple learn button for rolling codes.

So...will any x10 module theoretically work with my GE Simon? Should I be getting the pro model? Thanks.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Are all x10 modules compatible? x10 vs. x10 "pro"?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »

1. YES. 
2. Up to you.

X10 Pro have more extensive burn-in at factory. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same as the "non pro" counterpart.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »

;D X10 has developed and manufactured Home Automation products for GE, RCA, IBM, Philips, Magnavox, Gemini, Leviton, Radio Shack, ATI, Black & Decker, and other.
Hope you find this helpful.

Seems as though your installer wanted to make a few bucks
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 03:16:57 PM »

There are a few components that are offered only in the X10Pro line (and vice-versa), but parts with equivalent functions in both standard X10 and X10Pro versions ought to perform the same.

X10 or X10Pro branded modules are not carried by Home Depot, and Radio Shack is apparently discontinuing them, at least in their retail stores.  X10 itself runs sales from their website at very good prices, but they're usually bundles of one sort or another, and you pretty much have to check frequently or subscribe to their newsletter.  There are a number of small authorized X10 dealers who run stores on eBay selling new components at set prices.  Run a search on http://www.ebay.com with keywords "home automation".
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »

One added point from tests.
The Black and Decker Freewire modules are 100% compatible. The Remotes and Transceivers are NOT compatible with a X10 Transceiver or Remote. An X10 Transceiver and remote can control Freewire Modules. A  Freewire Transceiver and Freewire remote can control X10 modules. Can't say anything about the Freewire cameras as I never had any.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.