Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SS15A to CM15A range problem  (Read 3594 times)

bernie_p

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
SS15A to CM15A range problem
« on: July 31, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »

I have used X10 years ago, the old BSR controller and modules, and loved them.

Now 15 years later I just purchased AHP and am trying to get some things working. I bought one of the X10 bandit specials...a bunch of SS15A remote wall switches. I can't get them to communicate with my CM15A at distances over 5 or 6 feet. I put the CM15A on an extension cord so I could move it away from the computer to try and improve its reception, but it didn't help. So I am unable to place these wall switches even 10 feet away from the receiver. I tried 2 SS15A units and had the same results. I tested the batteries and found them down to about 3.05 volts, so I put in fresh batteries testing at about 3.30 volts. No difference. At the same time I purchased some of the KR19A keychain remotes. These work up to about 20 feet, so I am using these temporarily. How can I improve this situation, and get the SS15A's to work? How can I pinpoint the problem? Do I need to return the CM15A? Is there a way to test it?

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: SS15A to CM15A range problem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »

I have used X10 years ago, the old BSR controller and modules, and loved them.

'have used' as in PAST tense / no longer own / GONE?

If not, please list what you have.

...Now 15 years later I just purchased AHP and am trying to get some things working. I bought... ...a bunch of SS15A remote wall switches. I can't get them to communicate with my CM15A at distances over 5 or 6 feet.

...At the same time I purchased some of the KR19A keychain remotes. These work up to about 20 feet, so I am using these temporarily. How can I improve this situation, and get the SS15A's to work? How can I pinpoint the problem? Do I need to return the CM15A? Is there a way to test it?

Do you have:

• Another RF Transceiver (RR501, TM751) to replace the RF portion of the CM15A?
  • Any Palmpads? [4 AAAs 'should' make it the most powerful (within FCC guidelines).]
  • A Signal Strength Meter?

IMO, the *BEST* way to troubleshoot X-10 is:

• Swap modules (Everybody keeps a JUNKBOX full of spares, right? ;) )
  • Unplug 'suspects' and/or Install 'temporary' filters
  • Measure Signal Strength (I have my ELK on an extension cord so that I can plug it into the 'circuit in question' and easily see the display from wherever I'm activating the transmission) You *DO* have all the circuits in your home mapped out on paper, right?  ;)

Read my X-10 FAQ, in my SIG LINK, and the X-10 Checklist that I posted here...
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: SS15A to CM15A range problem
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »

TakeTheActive : nice to see you on here! missed reading your posts! I go a way for a month and presto! ;) ;D I see I've got a lot of reading to catch up on :D ;D

bernie_p : if you do a search for RF reception under AHP general you'll find some helpful info for improving the CM15As reception. some require you to modify the CM15A with an external antenna but there are other options!I'll try to add a link to my Having problems? Please read  first post  As this seems to be a common question! The CM15A is known to have poor RF reception!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.