Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reliability Consensus  (Read 3441 times)

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Reliability Consensus
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »

I've been using AHP since it first came out. I've been thru the older bad AHP units, did all the updates, and troubleshot a variety of bad modules that gave wacky codes. Filters are everywhere. The system now has 74 modules, 9 cameras, 35 macros and a dozen timers. It all -- now -- works very well...generally. But every once in a while, I get a light that turns on, or a drape that opens, water beginning to flow from a fountain, or a camera turning on...it's always random and may or may not show up in the activity monitor (also using a SmartHome Software Monitor). Here's the question: Of those of you who say your system is "solid" or "working great," do you occasionally see these occurrences, too? They're rare, but I'm not sure if I should continue to hunt for a problem or will I be chasing windmills? Consensus needed!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Reliability Consensus
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:48:53 PM »

I have about 2/3 the equipment you have. It includes filters and an PAT01 RF repeater, along with local-control-defeated appliance modules, I/R sensors and a telephone responder, all running under CM15A.  I used to have almost the level of randomness you describe but as I mentioned in another post the whole system seemed to stabilize when I put in a whole house surge protector. You can see that post at

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=9567.msg56720#msg56720

I've worked with computer systems for what seems like forever and I think the stability of my CM15A, where I've only once had to clear memory and reload my program because of what looked like eratic behavior is the best you can expect from a complex system like this that is interfaced to the real physical world with all its vagaries.

Bottom line - I admit I'll never stop trying to improve things but I'm not going to be obsessive about it. You've done a great job.  Relax and enjoy it!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 09:34:30 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:20:05 PM »

I've been using AHP since it first came out...

Welcome to the X10 Old Geezers Club !  ;D [Do you have any BSR or SEARS modules still in operation?]

...I've been thru the older bad AHP units, did all the updates, and troubleshot a variety of bad modules that gave wacky codes. Filters are everywhere. The system now has 74 modules, 9 cameras, 35 macros and a dozen timers. It all -- now -- works very well...generally. But every once in a while, I get a light that turns on, or a drape that opens, water beginning to flow from a fountain, or a camera turning on...it's always random and may or may not show up in the activity monitor (also using a SmartHome Software Monitor).

Here's the question: Of those of you who say your system is "solid" or "working great," do you occasionally see these occurrences, too?

They're rare, but I'm not sure if I should continue to hunt for a problem or will I be chasing windmills?

Consensus needed!

IMO, with a ONE-WAY / NO FEEDBACK system such as what we have here:

• ...every once in a while...
  • ...always random and may or may not show up in the activity monitor...
  • ...They're rare...

is *GREAT*!!!

[Just read the Archives for folks that have setups *FAR* from that state!  :( ]

It takes KNOWLEDGE and EFFORT to get to where you currently are - be PROUD of what you've accomplished - whether or not you're a Marine (no disrespect intended), in the X10 World, you are a member of:

The Few and the Proud!
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 09:28:09 PM »

Don't forget:

The Persistent and Patient!

;D
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I now feel privileged to be part of the "Old Geezers Club" ... and a lot more comfortable with the system.

OldTimer: Tnx for the whole house idea. I'll follow up on it. Sounds like you've really got a stable system going.

TakeTheActive: I used to be a magazine writer and covered x10 technology from the beginning. So you were right: I did have BSR modules (actually had a couple catch fire...so they were all tossed). As an X10'er and old Army guy, I accept your kind invitation to be among "The Few and the Proud."

Bill: Persistence and patience is easy for me. I look at this as a hobby, so I enjoy adding more ideas (and finding "issues" with the hardware and software along the way). My wife hasn't left me yet, despite things going bump in the night, so I guess it's still fun.

Thanks again, everybody!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.