Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I might be missing a piece of equipment  (Read 35122 times)

dhighlender

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I might be missing a piece of equipment
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

I purchased the PC pack which I thought would be everything I need to get my cameras online. I seem to be missing the firecracker control that plugs into the serial port on the back of my pc.

Is this a piece of equipment that I absolutely have to have?

What I got in the package was...

PC transceiver
Multiview Software
WebView Software
USB Video Adapter

But I cant view the cameras on the pc. The software opens up and detects that I have three cameras, but I never see any video footage.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: I might be missing a piece of equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »

Do the power supplies for your cameras have code wheels on them?  If so, you need some way of sending X10 signals over the power line to turn them On.  You say you have a "PC Transceiver", is that a TM751 or RR501?  Do you also have a RF Remote that can send the signals to the transceiver?

(The X10 controlled camera power supplies work like radio buttons in groups of four unit codes - turn one On and the others in the group turn Off.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »

The PC transceiver (if it has a USB connection) is the firecracker CM19A I think . What you don't mention is a video receiver ! It receives info from your cams and sends it threw a RCA plug to the  USB video adapter.
Hope this helps you figure out what is missing! ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 10:21:39 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bluebird5

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 03:46:42 PM »

yes, the USB PC transceiver is exactly teh same as the FireCracker which uses Serial Port instead.

Tuicemen is correct.. where's the Video Receiver unit? thats the one received wireless video feed from the camera. Then sends the signal to the USB Video cable to your PC.
 ;)

ftballtw

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »

I was starting to think that also, I was missing the firecracker serial  but It looks like what I see here, the USB is the same.  Here is what I have: PC transceiver
Multiview Software
WebView Software
USB Video Adapter         

I have Windows XP.   I see it recognizes all the cameras but shows no picture. (I have 4)  I have the video sender hooked up , on, with red light.   I use the same transmitter I use with the same house codes to my TV's.  Do I need to use a separate one?    I am really stumped.  I tried everything again and again with no results.  Any ideas anyone?

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »

ftballtw the USB video adapter should be the VA11A. You need to take a look in your Windows hardware "Device Manager" list to see if the "X10 VA11A Video Capture" driver is listed in the "Imaging Devices" category. If it says "Intel Video Capture" that driver won't work. There has been issues with the wrong driver loading in the past. You can do a search for the VA11A on these boards to find more info on this problem.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

ftballtw

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »

Yes, it shows the VA11A in imaging devices and under USB devices.   I tried everything under troubleshooting and manuals and I did correct some mistakes on reinstall.   I tried the hardware advancement , In the firecracker setup, I checked to turn off the transmitter and receiver. I found I had to plug into a usb in the back of the computer.  I have the feeling I am close, but I am missing something.  Thanks for the reply though.  Any other ideas would be appreciated.

ftballtw

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Support e-mailed me back and suggested I try the same video sender on my tv and also try some other video device on the computer to see if there is a picture.  So I unplugged from the mini sender and plugged into the video sender attached to my tv and lo and behold it works great!  I can also view on the TV at the same time and record to a vcr.  So my problem was a bad mini sender which I have had for a long time.  Hope this gives you some help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.