Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rain 8 automation  (Read 3762 times)

Bman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Rain 8 automation
« on: August 06, 2006, 08:31:37 PM »

OK, basically what I am thinking of doing is setting up a couple motion sensors that when triggered would turn on an existing sprinkler system for a few seconds or a minute. This is to scare off deer. I would also like to be able to set it on a timer to water every day (15 min or so).

Here is my list so far:

* Valve (from Orchard or simmilar store)
* Rain 8
* a couple x10 motion sensors (possibly many for different parts of the property)
* an x10 remote (still don't know which one I might need)

Am I on the right track? Also, this would be for my grandma and she doesn't have a computer. Is this a problem or could I program it with mine and then take the Rain 8 to her house?

Edit: I just realized that I'll probably also need something to turn off the motion sensors--or cancel their signal--so that the sprinklers aren't kicking on and off all day. :)

Thanks.

Edit again: Need to add a timer to list (http://www.smarthome.com/1100x.html)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:24:56 PM by Bman »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Rain 8 automation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:32:29 AM »

AHP can handle your application once the CM15A has been programed. A few smart and/or timed macros should do the trick. Most likely you'll need to a bit of debugging during your setup. A laptop with AHP loaded would be of great help in setting things up and testing. e.g. You could have everything programmed perfectly and find out you have a signal problem. It will be a whole lot easier debugging the problem with a computer connected to generate and/or receive test signals than to make dear old grandma stand in the yard waving her hands and pretending to be a deer.  :)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 01:16:25 AM »

There are different models of Rain8 - some are actuated by RF, some are actuated by X10 powerline commands, some can be programmed to run a schedule of waterings.  Similarly there are different models of X10 motion sensors - some can be configured to transmit the RF motion signal only at night.

Unfortunately I don't have the different model numbers for the above components sorted out in my head, and X-10 certainly doesn't make it easy to compare the different models of motion sensors.

One thing tp keep in mind though is that the signal transmitted by the motion sensors is not that strong, so depending on the size of the property you may or may not require more than one transceiver for power line signals.  I don't know the receiving range of the RF Rain8, but if it's comparable to the V572 transceiver (made by the same company) it'll probably be very good.

One question: Do you know for a fact that  deer will be deterred by a sprinkler from feasting in your granny's yard?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Bman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:35:51 AM »

AHP can handle your application once the CM15A has been programed. A few smart and/or timed macros should do the trick. Most likely you'll need to a bit of debugging during your setup. A laptop with AHP loaded would be of great help in setting things up and testing. e.g. You could have everything programmed perfectly and find out you have a signal problem. It will be a whole lot easier debugging the problem with a computer connected to generate and/or receive test signals than to make dear old grandma stand in the yard waving her hands and pretending to be a deer.  :)

I assume AHP is ActiveHome Pro... I've seen it mentioned around here but still not too sure what it is. Same with CM15A. More research to do. Still fairly new at this.

I could probably borrow a laptop. The way you describe using that program sounds like the way to go.

There are different models of Rain8 - some are actuated by RF, some are actuated by X10 powerline commands, some can be programmed to run a schedule of waterings. Similarly there are different models of X10 motion sensors - some can be configured to transmit the RF motion signal only at night.

Unfortunately I don't have the different model numbers for the above components sorted out in my head, and X-10 certainly doesn't make it easy to compare the different models of motion sensors.

One thing tp keep in mind though is that the signal transmitted by the motion sensors is not that strong, so depending on the size of the property you may or may not require more than one transceiver for power line signals. I don't know the receiving range of the RF Rain8, but if it's comparable to the V572 transceiver (made by the same company) it'll probably be very good.

One question: Do you know for a fact that deer will be deterred by a sprinkler from feasting in your granny's yard?

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the sprinkler not scaring them. It would suck to do all this and have it not work. :) If I could catch one it the act, I could find out for sure.

As far as the range, I'm thinking 30-40 ft. Maybe 50-60 if I do the back yard too. I have a couple x10 motion sensors (somewhere) so I might test it out first.

Gotta get all these little things figured out before I dive in.

So, it looks like more reseach. :)

Thanks.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »

...Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the sprinkler not scaring them....
I think the surprise of a sprinkler could work if it was forcefull enough but I haven't had and personal experience in the matter. I've heard it works for dogs. I think a lot of it depends on how "tame" the deer have become. I'd bet lights or a small strobe might work better. I'll ask my mom what she thinks. She's a master gardener (official title) and has deer visit from time to time. I'll ask her if she's heard of any ideas to deter deer.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.