Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Source for X10 Equipment Not Available from X10 Direct  (Read 6085 times)

Kaulele

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Source for X10 Equipment Not Available from X10 Direct
« on: July 31, 2006, 05:13:34 PM »

For those of you who are not already aware, Smarthome is another source for X10 products particularly those rare items you need  such as phase couplers and filters which X10 direct does not sell to my knowledge.  Unlike X10, however, Smarthome stuff is very expensive and you have to watch their shipping charges.  I recently purchased little thumb knobs that snap over the "House" and "Unit" code controls on the various modules so that you don't have to use a screwdriver to change them (this is a nice little convenience to have and I don't know why they didn't think of them sooner).  Well, the little plastic knobs I ordered cost around $8.00 and weighed maybe 2 oz, and yet the postage was $19.  When I received the package from Smarthome, the postage label was printed for just $4.13.  I called Smarthome and complained and low and behold, they rebated most of the difference claiming some of the cost was for handling!  I am spoiled by X10's  very reasonable prices and free shipping if the order exceeds $50 and their relatively low shipping cost for anything under that.  It's just that there are times when you need something compatible with X10 that they don't sell and www.smarthome.com is the only other source for what you need.  As I said, just watch their shipping charges if you need something from them to enhance your X10 system.  Aloha!

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
Re: Source for X10 Equipment Not Available from X10 Direct
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 05:38:26 PM »

For those of you who are not already aware, Smarthome is another source for X10 products particularly those rare items you need... ...Unlike X10, however, Smarthome stuff is very expensive and you have to watch their shipping charges. 

I recently purchased little thumb knobs that snap over the "House" and "Unit" code controls on the various modules so that you don't have to use a screwdriver to change them (this is a nice little convenience to have and I don't know why they didn't think of them sooner).  Well, the little plastic knobs I ordered cost around $8.00 and weighed maybe 2 oz, and yet the postage was $19... >:(

..It's just that there are times when you need something compatible with X10 that they don't sell and www.smarthome.com is the only[/color] :o other source for what you need
[/b].[/size]
[NOTE: Formatting (bold, color, smilies, etc...) added by TTA and not part of original post.]

GOOGLE is your friend! (I need to create a macro to insert this, eh? ;) )

I'll bet Charles would sure appreciate a short note of THANKS for his 8 year old invention! :)

Do I hear GROUP PURCHASE / BIG DISCOUNT anyone???  ;)  [I'm still looking for my "Round Tuit" - how about you?]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 05:42:51 PM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:31:18 PM »

Man OH Man. The Code Clickers are great, makes code changes a snap. Too bad X10 didn't design their products this way.

;D My wife bought me a "Round Tuit" when we visited the Redwoods some years ago. However it's been defective from day one.
I've always meant to get it fixed but so far I haven't gotten "Round Tuit".  ;D

Jim

P.S. I know what you mean about Smarthome's shipping. I bought a $9 item. It cost me $18.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 07:35:37 PM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:01:28 PM »

X10 as an OEM for Black and Decker made a Lamp Module [I have a few from B&D Kits] that have Finger Knobs for setting the House and Unit Codes. No screwdrivers or such needed. ;D

B&D Freewire is now discontinued but the modules are completely compatible with the X10 line. The Transceiver 'Messenger Hub' and Remotes are different but can control X10 devices and X10 controllers can control Freewire Modules. Just one brand tranceiver or remote can not control the other brands. One nice thing about the Messenger Hub was it set the house code and the remote did all 16 unit codes and the hub can do scenes from the remote. Like push Scene 1 maybe unit 1;5;6 and 16 would respond. Was like a security console in one respect. It learned the remote so technically you could have two hubs and only one remote could access it if it was the only learned one.

My "Round Tuit" is also broken  :o :o
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:04:53 PM by Brian H »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 09:19:20 PM »

For good prices AND reasonable shipping charges, check out the "The Home Automation Store" on eBay <http://stores.ebay.com/The-Home-Automation-Store>.

I've made a number of purchases from him over the past several years, all without problems.  (I have no connection with this seller except as a customer.)
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 10:26:09 PM »

My cost / knob is pretty high also. In my case it's because I used 1 and put the others in a "safe place", however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:21 AM »

eBay is always a good source for X10 stuff.  While nobody can beat X10 special sale prices, there are a few dealers on eBay who offer excellent prices all the time, and have very reasonable shipping.
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »

Automated Outlet is another good source.
https://www.automatedoutlet.com/home.php
$7.50 flat rate shipping.

It's always a good idea to check around first and include the S/H charges. What initially seems cheap may cost you more.

"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.