Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Receptacle minimum load?  (Read 4213 times)

summeratlast

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Receptacle minimum load?
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »

I need to control a water valve rated 10 watts/24 VAC. Since I already have a plug-in 24 VAC transformer, I plan to purchase a X10 wall receptacle. The problem is that the popular PA011 receptacle may operate erratically if used with loads under 40 W. I failed to find the electrical specifications of a similar receptacle (SR227). Has anyone used successfully the SR227 or even the PA011 with low power loads (below 40 W)?

Thanks!

KDR

• Helpful Post Rating: 53
    • Home Automation Chat
Re: Receptacle minimum load?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 04:54:45 AM »

summeratlast I use five SR227's to control five 24 VAC transformers. The transformers are controlling heating duck dampers and I have yet had any fail or act up in any way.

----------------KDR
Note: "Guests" may read the X10 forum , but you must register to post!

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »

The problem is that the popular PA011 receptacle may operate erratically if used with loads under 40 W.

Could you be confusing the PA011 and SR227 with a dimmable wall switch?

The receptacle modules should work reliably with no load at all. It's the two wire wall switches that need to see a load to operate.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

summeratlast

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »

Thanks kDR, I think I will purchase the SR227 model. My neighbor uses a few of them and does not seem to have any problem.

In response to Dave, there is no mistake, the following extract was taken from a pdf document for the PAO11 receptacle on smarthome.com : Minimum Load = 40W Lamps/Loads rated below 40W may flicker and/or operate erratically.

I am also surprised that there should be a lower limit of 40 W on these outlets because the clicking sound that we hear when the receptacle turns ON or OFF seem to indicate relay contacts. Once relay contacts are closed there should be no minimum current required.

Thank you for answering my call.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »

When Off there is a small current on the output. To sense if the mechanical [the Click] alternate action switch is on or off. This current can make things like CFLs; LED Bulbs and very small bulbs flicker or in LED case stay 1/2 on. Not all do; so the 40 watts is a cover the buns thing.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:31:08 PM »

In response to Dave, there is no mistake, the following extract was taken from a pdf document for the PAO11 receptacle on smarthome.com : Minimum Load = 40W Lamps/Loads rated below 40W may flicker and/or operate erratically.

I am also surprised that there should be a lower limit of 40 W on these outlets because the clicking sound that we hear when the receptacle turns ON or OFF seem to indicate relay contacts. Once relay contacts are closed there should be no minimum current required.

Thank you for answering my call.
You are correct, there is a relay which is why I don't understand SmartHomes notice. It certainly makes no sense if the receptacle is in the ON state.  ???
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.