Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2 CM15As in one home?  (Read 56413 times)

DowNet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
2 CM15As in one home?
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:18:37 PM »

Hey all, I'm fairly new to this X10 network but I'm figuring this out more and more.  I live in an average size one-bedroom condo (11 stories up).  Could I run 2 CM15As?  One to be centrally placed and run the macros, timers, etc.?  And then the other one hooked to my PC so I can control "PC-only" macros and just have general PC control of my lights if I so desire?  Can this be done?  Will I have PLC conjestion on my power line with the 2 CM15As?  I don't plan on having the PC-CM15A trancieve any commands from any remotes.  That will be just there for only PC-run macros and PC-X10 Control.  The centrally located CM15A will do all the trancieving from the remotes, etc.

Will this set-up work?  I'm open to suggestions.

Regards.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: 2 CM15As in one home?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »

NO!!! Two CM15A's on the same housecodes will clash with each other.  The ONLY way to have two CM15A's is to have each one addressing totally different housecodes and attached to two independent PC's.  One could address Housecodes A-H and the other I-P.

I cannot see any reason for 2 CM15A's in any single X10 system.  If you ordered two complete Active Home Pro packages, send one back and get your money back. A single CM15A will serve an entire house.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

DowNet

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »

ok thanks for your reply.  at this time, I only have one CM15A.  My follow-up question would be how would it clash if I have one CM15A to trancieve (say House Code: D) and the other CM15A set NOT to trancieve and used by the PC ONLY for PC X10 control?  Do the CM15As "repeat each other if it senses a command on the powerline?  I thought that it only trancieves what is sees over the air (RF wise).  So if I set one to transcieve and the other ONLY for PC-powerline control, I should be good, right?  Once again thanks for your reply; tell me what you think.  Regards.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 02:20:33 PM by DowNet »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:19:03 PM »

Again, you only need one.   X10 makes two different transcivers, the TM751 and the RR501.  The CM15A is the PC interface and a transciver as well. If you don't currently have two, don't get a second CM15A. 

DowNet

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »

Dan I don't think you get what I'm saying here (all due respect) :).  You can't turn off the RF reciving on the other 2 trancivers that you have mentioned, thus you will get powerline conjestion and problems. I'd go with your suggestion  but lights dim to much or brighten to much and sometimes the commands cancel themselves out.  I figure if I have 2 CM15As, one set to recieve and trancieve signals to the power line for macros, etc, and the other one for PC control ONLY.  If the 2nd CM15A is set up NOT to recieve RF signals (used for pc control only), how would this create conflict on the power line using a remote?

Also pleae note the 2 trancievers that you have mentioned do NOT give you the ablity to "turn-off" their own RF recieving as well as do NOT give the ability to store macros, timers, etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:37:09 PM by DowNet »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »

If the second one is set to not tranceive any House Codes it should not transmit any powerline signals even if it did receive them from an RF device like a remote or motion sensor.
Guess there could be a clash if one tranceived the remote signal and it also triggered a macro in the other one and they stepped on each other. In theory they are poilite and should not step on each other but maybe?

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »

You can only store macros in the CM15A. Transcivers recieve RF signals transmit X10 signals to modules.   You cannot use a CM15A as a simple transciever. if you get another one, you will be wasting money.  I don't believe X10 sells the CM15A alone, only with the purchase of AHP.

DowNet

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

Dan - just got got off the phone with X10 - what I'm donig can be done.  And to correct you, the CM15A CAN be used as a stand-alone transciever.  The macros and timers, etc can be downloaded to the unit then placed somewhere else in your home without the need of the computer.  You can also select what house codes you want the CM15A to respond to or none at all.  So the one that is going to be as an acting tranciever, I'll have all the macros and timers running on it as well as trancieving certain house codes.  The other CM15A will be hooked up to my pc for PC-control only - trancieving NO house codes via RF from remotes. 

Yes, they only sell the CM15A with the software, but who cares....it's 50 bucks and this will solve my RF issue and still give me control via my PC to my entire home if I want to.  CM15A #1 to act as a RF Tranciever to the entire house and to control the house using any remote.  CM15A #2 to control the entire house not with RF at all but the PC only.  Apparently it can be done with out signal problems.

The exact reason why I need another CM15A opposed to a regualar tranciever is because I need to be able to "turn-off" the trancieving side of things of one of them so they will not conflict when a command is thrown from a RF remote.

In any regard thanks for your posts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:15:07 PM by DowNet »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »

I have an RR501 in my Living Room which recieves the RF signals from a SS13 "Stick-a-Switch.  The CM15A's antenna is so poor that it would not transcieve RF Signals and turn certain lights on.   

There are threads here and on the old Forums about extending the CM15's antenna to better receive RF signals, BUT doing so voids the warrenty, so you do it at your own risk.  The RR501 sits 8 feet from the CM15A and there's ZERO clashing.  That's how bad the antenna is.

DowNet

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 05:40:14 PM »

That's amazing and I agree it's bad.  i'm in an ave condo and my bedroom wall plates will not react with the CM15A in my computer area (about 20 feet away).  I thought about doing the mod but figured it'd be a better idea to move the CM15A closer and more central in my condo.  After trying this out...I fixed my RF problem.  But now I want to use my pc for simple controls as well but NOT trancieve codes so I'd figure I'll get another CM15A and turn off the tranciever on it.  It will still send power line codes when the tranciever is off by the way.  This seems to be the best route for me.  I think X10 should come out with a better or different version of the CM15A to give one the ability to plug in their own antenna.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 06:03:31 PM »

You can't turn the CM15A's transiciever off.  That's why a lot of us X10/Active Home Pro users have the plug-in transcievers.  Trying to modify a CM15A to not trancieve VOIDS THE WARRENTY!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 06:15:21 PM »

You turn OFF all tranceived house codes and it Will NOT send any X10 signals on the Power Line from a remote. We have to help folks all the time with "no remotes working" for that exact reason. All house codes are OFF!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 06:33:40 PM »

You are correct, but DowNet appears to be headstrong.  I have two trancieved housecodes, A & F. All other housecodes have it turned off. The two housecodes that are trancieved have RR501's to recieve the RF signals. The CM15A never would revieve the RF signals from my "Stick-a-Switch", which is 10 FEET from the CM15A - that's how bad an unmodifed 15's antenna is.

Plus, paying $23.49 for a RR501 beats $49.99 for another copy of AHP and a CM15A.

DowNet

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »

You turn OFF all tranceived house codes and it Will NOT send any X10 signals on the Power Line from a remote. We have to help folks all the time with "no remotes working" for that exact reason. All house codes are OFF!

Brian - please read above on what I wish to do.  The CM15A that is going to have its tranciever turned off is NOT going to be used for X10 RF remotes.  Only for PC control.  I've already tested it.  If you turn CM15A tranciever off, you can still use the unit to send powerline code to modules via the PC.  I'll have another CM15A running (more centrally located) with the tranciever turned ON.  This unit will be for the RF remotes.

I don't think it's that hard to understand.....I'm not trying to be "head-strong"....just trying to get a point across....that I know now, will work.

DowNet

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 07:10:56 PM »

If the second one is set to not tranceive any House Codes it should not transmit any powerline signals even if it did receive them from an RF device like a remote or motion sensor.
Guess there could be a clash if one tranceived the remote signal and it also triggered a macro in the other one and they stepped on each other. In theory they are poilite and should not step on each other but maybe?

Good point Brian, however please keep in mind that the macros and timers, etc will be "pre-loaded" to the tranciever that will be turned on and running centrally.  The CM15A that is hooked up to the PC will not have any times or macros on it at all.  So all the timers and macros will be coming from the one that has the tranciever turned on.   
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.