Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lights Still Turn On  (Read 11451 times)

portside

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lights Still Turn On
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:32:33 PM »

I have 4 lights on 4 WS467 Switches which I control with with either the switch or the HR12a palm remote. Everyhing works fine most of the time but sometimes the lights randomly turn themselves on and I have to manually turn them off. (Switches set to B1, B2, B3, B4 transceiver TM751 set on B).

I have now removed the TM751 and the remote. They still come on randomly and do not shut off unless I go down to the switches to turn them off.  I went away on vacation only to find all 4 lights on. I want to make this work what do I need to install or check?
 HELP!!! PLEEEEESE.......

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
Re: Lights Still Turn On
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »

One of the explanations for the situation you describe is momentary power outage, although these usually don't effect wall switches.  The other possibility is power company generated control "noise", that is noise to X10 that is not noise to power company equipment. This might be eliminated by switching the house codes from B to a different code.  Another possibility is a neighbor who also has X10 equipment.  Again try a different house code.  Other then that we'd need more information on your exact setup and envoirnment.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 06:33:16 AM »

As oldtimer said. Powerline noise has been known to trigger the wall switches on. Some have actually modified theirs [not realy reccommended] to eliminate the noise triggers. More data on setup would help.
The removal of the transceiver was a good test to start the process.

portside

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:51:24 PM »

HI, what kind of additional info about setup do you need. As I said all I have are 4 wall switches set to B, with just a mini-timer that controls just 1 other wall switch, but that is set to A and no other x10 stuff  in the house. Now  I do not even have the transceiver hooked up. I will however try setting to Code on these 4 switches from B to E.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 11:54:40 PM by portside »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:20:36 AM »

portside; Sorry I didn't read the first part of the thread better  ???. If the moved house code and no transceiver installed. Have the same results with false on's. I would think it maybe a noise problem on the powerline. let us know if the house code change did anything.

portside

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 01:10:43 PM »

Thank You
But If powerline noise is the problem what would be the easiest, least expensive way to fix the problem?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:40:04 PM »

Portside:
You are not losing power are you?
I have WS467's that come on after a power interuption. Technically they ARE being triggered by powerline noise, but it is noise generated during the power restoration process. I don't think there is a solution to this problem, other than a controller that resets everything to desired state after an outage or brownout.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:36 PM »

I have at least 14 WS467s (or earlier equivalents) and none of them turn on by them themselves ( or at least not often enough for me to have noticed).  One of my appliance modules, that controls a flood light at the back of our property, used to come on once in a while from what I believe was the noise from a power company transient that was generated when they switched the load near in our area.  This transient was so fast that incandescent bulbs didn't even dim, but you'd be aware of it on a TV or Hi Fi set.  Interestingly enough longer transients that produced outage blinks and caused the stove and microwave clock to have to be reset didn't turn this floodlight on.  The reason I'm mentioning all this is that it hasn't happened since I installed a whole house surge protector several years ago and I didn't realize it until I was rereading this thread.

I don't know how big your electrical box is or what your skill level is but whole house surge protectors from, say, Home Depot are well under $100 and not that hard to install if you're used to doing electrical work safely.  I put ours in after spending over $200 on two different occasions to replace the clock in our kitchen stove after it was wacked by lightning.  All our computer and AV equipment came through fine because they're fully protected and we disconnect the computer stuff anyway if there's a storm. Completely aside from your X-10 problem this is something you should seriously consider if you're in an area that is prone to lightning.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:07:49 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:47:05 PM »

I have now removed the TM751 and the remote. They still come on randomly and do not shut off unless I go down to the switches to turn them off...

...what do I need to install or check?

• CM11A or CM15A: to log X-10 transmissions
  • ELK ESM1: to "see" X-10 transmissions and noise
  • FILTERS: to "block" noise and/or signal suckers
  • KNOWLEDGE: Follow my SIG LINK and then read all of the LINKs you'll find there - ESPECIALLY Uncle Phil's
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:04:15 AM »

I second the Uncle Phil's set of tutorials. Very helpful in both simple and very complex X10 Installations.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.