Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My results with LED lights and X10  (Read 7994 times)

fuzz54

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
My results with LED lights and X10
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:34:42 PM »

I bought a bunch of higher power (3 to 4 Watt) LED lights to see how they work with X10.

The PAR38, 4.5 Watt, 140 Lumen, 70 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay for about 20 dollars a piece work just fine with one-way lamp modules and the socket rockets.  The 4 Watt bulbs were equivalent to about a 40 Watt incandescent light bulb.  You definitely want Warm White colored bulbs if you can find them since the standard white bulbs are a little more of a blue white than most people like.  Some other types of LED bulbs didn't work with the one-way lamp modules since they wouldn't shut the LED off all the way which can dramatically decrease LED life.  Bottom line is that in general you don't want to use dimming lamps or dimmer modules (2-way) with LEDs.  Socket rockets are the way to go or in some cases the one-way lamp modules.  Also, I had a hard time programming the socket rockets with LED bulbs in them.  It's better to use incandescent bulbs while programming the socket rockets and then switching to the LED bulbs for actual use.  Also beware that it seems difficult to switch the codes on the socket rockets after they have been used with LED bulbs.  That's fine for me since I have my socket rockets programmed to several different address codes and don't ever need to switch them.

I now have most of my house converted over to LED bulbs and X10 control and am only using about 30 watts total for all of them.  Huge power savings and the LED bulbs last anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 hours which is many times more than the incandescent bulbs and they don't put off any heat which saves your air conditioning system too.

Just thought I'd share my results with people.  I have about 10 extra of the 70 LED bulbs that worked with one-way modules and socket rockets if anyone is interested in them.  Otherwise I'll sell them on ebay.  If interested then email me at fuzz54@yahoo.com.       

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: My results with LED lights and X10
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:20:37 AM »

...Also beware that it seems difficult to switch the codes on the socket rockets after they have been used with LED bulbs....
I wonder why?

...I have about 10 extra of the 70 LED bulbs that worked with one-way modules and socket rockets if anyone is interested in them....
I might be interested. Most of my applications need the equivalent light output of a 60 to 100W incandescent light bulb, however.
I wasn't sure if you were referring to these extra 70 LED bulbs when you comared the 4 watt bulbs to a 40w incandescent light bulb.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

fuzz54

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »

I couldn't figure out why the socket rockets wouldn't reprogram after use of LED bulbs.  The LED bulb doesn't work at all the same as an incandescent bulb so maybe something got fried during use.  They won't switch to a different X10 code anymore, but the socket rockets still work fine otherwise.  Also, yes, the 4.5 Watt 70 LED bulbs I have are only on par with a 40 or 50 Watt incandescent bulb.  I'd sell you one really cheap if interested (only for steven r).  10 dollars which includes shipping.  LEDs just aren't powerful enough yet to compete with incandescent bulbs for brightness.  But they are getting there very quickly.  I'm guessing that in a couple years LED bulbs will be as bright or brighter than current incandescent bulbs.  They work very well as bright ambient lighting or nighttime hallway lights when you don't want to be blasted by a full strength incandescent bulb.

fuzz54

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 04:41:09 PM »

Allright, I was wrong that LED lights caused socket rockets to be hard to reprogram.  After trying to reprogram the socket rockets that I had used LEDS with by directly plugging them into the same socket as the Activehome Pro USB controller they reprogrammed just fine.

Other things I have figured out with X10 modules and LED bulbs:  One-way lamp modules can be used to control LED bulbs as well as socket rockets.  However I have noticed some variation with certain LED bulbs that won't work with socket rockets or lamp modules.  They produce a buzzing noise when plugged in which I found intolerable.  I guess it's a matter of finding the right LED bulbs to work with and stick to socket rockets for the most part.  I've decided to use compact flourescent bulbs with socket rockets where I need lots of light and LED bulbs just won't do. 

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 11:19:34 PM »

Quote fuzz54  "I have noticed some variation with certain LED bulbs that won't work with socket rockets or lamp modules." & "The PAR38, 4.5 Watt, 140 Lumen, 70 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay for about 20 dollars a piece work just fine with one-way lamp modules and the socket rockets."

It would be good of you if you posted which ones wordked & which didn't.
The make of the bulb etc. like you did for the one quoted above.
The more info. you give the more helpful your post will be.  :)

;D BTY. Your handle reminds me of an old TV Cop show "Car 54. Where are you ?" any relationship to your handle ?  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:21:43 PM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

DowNet

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 12:55:14 PM »

Allright, I was wrong that LED lights caused socket rockets to be hard to reprogram.  After trying to reprogram the socket rockets that I had used LEDS with by directly plugging them into the same socket as the Activehome Pro USB controller they reprogrammed just fine.

Other things I have figured out with X10 modules and LED bulbs:  One-way lamp modules can be used to control LED bulbs as well as socket rockets.  However I have noticed some variation with certain LED bulbs that won't work with socket rockets or lamp modules.  They produce a buzzing noise when plugged in which I found intolerable.  I guess it's a matter of finding the right LED bulbs to work with and stick to socket rockets for the most part.  I've decided to use compact flourescent bulbs with socket rockets where I need lots of light and LED bulbs just won't do. 

The only problem I see with using LED bulbs (and I like to say that I love LED bulbs as well), is the fact that they really can't be dimmed or it's not advised to be dimmed.  Same goes with CFLs.  They are great in saving money but the trade-off is their dimming capabilty.  Nothing beats the dimming of a good halogen or tungsen light bulb (at least as of now).  ;D

However I have heard rumor that there are dimming CFLs on the market, but I haven't personally seen any as of yet.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 04:56:57 PM »

DowNet; I have experimented with a few dimable CFLs and they worked better with an X10 Lamp Module over a Smarthome LampLinc. Note 2 wire wall switches where the power is stolen through the load will not work correctly with a CFL or Dimable CFL.
The X10 standard lamp Module goes to 100% On then dims. The others have a slow ramp rate and start at 0%. The dimable CFLs had fits.

FrankHerrera

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:42 PM »

I bought a bunch of higher power (3 to 4 Watt) LED lights to see how they work with X10.

The PAR38, 4.5 Watt, 140 Lumen, 70 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay for about 20 dollars a piece work just fine with one-way lamp modules and the socket rockets.  The 4 Watt bulbs were equivalent to about a 40 Watt incandescent light bulb.  You definitely want Warm White colored bulbs if you can find them since the standard white bulbs are a little more of a blue white than most people like.  Some other types of LED bulbs didn't work with the one-way lamp modules since they wouldn't shut the LED off all the way which can dramatically decrease LED life.  Bottom line is that in general you don't want to use dimming lamps or dimmer modules (2-way) with led light.  Socket rockets are the way to go or in some cases the one-way lamp modules.  Also, I had a hard time programming the socket rockets with LED bulbs in them.  It's better to use incandescent bulbs while programming the socket rockets and then switching to the LED bulbs for actual use.  Also beware that it seems difficult to switch the codes on the socket rockets after they have been used with LED bulbs.  That's fine for me since I have my socket rockets programmed to several different address codes and don't ever need to switch them.

I now have most of my house converted over to LED bulbs and X10 control and am only using about 30 watts total for all of them.  Huge power savings and the LED bulbs last anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 hours which is many times more than the incandescent bulbs and they don't put off any heat which saves your air conditioning system too.

Just thought I'd share my results with people.  I have about 10 extra of the 70 LED bulbs that worked with one-way modules and socket rockets if anyone is interested in them.  Otherwise I'll sell them on ebay.  If interested then email me at fuzz54@yahoo.com.    

hello friend which is the best place to purchase these lights? I am searching for high quality and affordable lights  so please help me out..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:15:04 AM by FrankHerrera »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »

The PAR38, 4.5 Watt, 140 Lumen, 70 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay for about 20 dollars a piece work just fine with one-way lamp modules and the socket rockets.  The 4 Watt bulbs were equivalent to about a 40 Watt incandescent light bulb.  You definitely want Warm White colored bulbs if you can find them since the standard white bulbs are a little more of a blue white than most people like.  Some other types of LED bulbs didn't work with the one-way lamp modules since they wouldn't shut the LED off all the way which can dramatically decrease LED life.  Bottom line is that in general you don't want to use dimming lamps or dimmer modules (2-way) with LEDs.  Socket rockets are the way to go or in some cases the one-way lamp modules.  Also, I had a hard time programming the socket rockets with LED bulbs in them.  It's better to use incandescent bulbs while programming the socket rockets and then switching to the LED bulbs for actual use.  Also beware that it seems difficult to switch the codes on the socket rockets after they have been used with LED bulbs.  That's fine for me since I have my socket rockets programmed to several different address codes and don't ever need to switch them.

I now have most of my house converted over to LED bulbs and X10 control and am only using about 30 watts total for all of them.  Huge power savings and the LED bulbs last anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 hours which is many times more than the incandescent bulbs and they don't put off any heat which saves your air conditioning system too.

Just thought I'd share my results with people.  I have about 10 extra of the 70 LED bulbs that worked with one-way modules and socket rockets if anyone is interested in them.  Otherwise I'll sell them on ebay.  If interested then email me at fuzz54@yahoo.com.       

hello friend which is the best place to purchase these lights? I am searching for high quality and affordable lights  so please help me out..

fuzz54 has not been around for a long time, but he said he got the lights off eBay.

"The PAR38, 4.5 Watt, 140 Lumen, 70 LED bulbs I bought off of Ebay "

Also depending on your location, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »

There have been lots of improvements in LED bulbs since the August 2006 posts.
I would also suggest seeing what your local big box stores or online vendors have.
By today's standards the bulbs mentioned are not that good. 140 Lumen's is not very bright for 4.5 watts of used power.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.