Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I Can't Get ActiveHome CM11A (serial port) to Work or Recognize the Interface?  (Read 24358 times)

litegide24

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi,

I have been working with X10 for about a week or more trying to get my pc to recognize the activehome interface.  I bought an all in one deal where they shipped an older version (non-USB) of the interface.  When the software they emailed me was installed it all looked good on the screen but no action with interface...

I installed and reinstalled the software when trying different things still nothing, I went to device manager and ports and veverifiedy pc is in fact com1 and working properly.

when reinstallling active home susuite changed the default of com 2 to com 1 and still no luck.

Normally when a device gets plugged ininto my pc get the little message that says "new hardware found"  but with the active home (serial port) plugged into com one on pc it doesn't see it whatsoever.

They gave having level 2 email me but to be honest, the cs girls no more and have been more helpful.  With "level 2 support" I have been getting scripted replies that don't even pertain to what I've described.

I have asked that I be able to pay and upgrade the serial port to the usb active home pro but they said it's nothat easy, I would need to send back my kits - which has about 8 switches and lamp modules, appliance modules etc which are all already installed and work aok.

I don't understand why this has to be so difficult and frusfrustrating I would have known the active home interface was going to be the serial port I would have elected to not purchase.
 ???
If anybody has had a similar problem could you please help,

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 07:10:17 PM by TakeTheActive »

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41

There is  a known problem with the original AH software and Windows XP. If you do a search of these forums I am sure you will find information and possible solutions for this problem.

Good luck

Jim
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX

litegide24:
X-10 would normally tell you to download the ActiveHome software from the website, so I'm wondering what it was they emailed you?
Some "experimental" version maybe?

Save a copy of what they sent you in a folder where it won't be overwritten and download ActiveHome 1.42 from the website:
  http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

Uninstall what you've got and install AH 1.42.  Right-click the desktop icon and select Properties > Compatibility.  Check the box for
"Run this program in compatibility mode" for Windows 98.  Presumably you know what comm port the interface is connected to - choose that one rather than the default.

As Jim C has stated there are known issues with it, but at least it should be able to connect with your interface. 

Let us know what happens.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Part of his problem may be his motherboard.  The refusal of WinXP to recognize or contstanly drop the Com ports is apparently caused by some motherboards, not just the O/S.  The majority of motherboards may not have this problem.

I also think X10 USA is at fault for selling the old Active Home and CM11A packages as someting new by snapping the RCA moniker on the package, therefore they should offer the Active Home Pro and CM15A at the price that was paid for the AH package. That would be the fairest thing.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Semibogus

Is the cm11 that you are talking about the RCA HC60CRX that they just sold for $10??? 

My system has been up and running for years but when I replaced the std interface with this RCA one no results at all.   

Ian

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

The RCA HC60CRX is the same or close to the CM11A. Both run with Active Home on a serial port and have the same FCC ID#
B4SCM10A. Yes I also questioned the CM10A part of the ID as it looked like the older CM10A ID, but my CM11A also has the B4SCM10A for its ID Number? ::) Than again some of the Motion Sensors also have different ID numbers than their model number that is usually the ending of the ID.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Is the cm11 that you are talking about the RCA HC60CRX that they just sold for $10??? 

My system has been up and running for years but when I replaced the std interface with this RCA one no results at all.   

Ian

As Brian H posted, it is.

Some motherboards and XP don't get along as the XP COM drivers don't work right. If that's the case, the solution is Active Home Pro and the USB CM15A interface.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

Semibogus:
Try unplugging your HC60CRX from the wall and the PC, removing the batteries, and letting it sit for an hour.  Plug it up again _without the batteries_ and try it again.  If it still doesn't work but your other CM11A continues to work, then it would appear you have a defective HC60CRX.
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Animal

I found my RCA unit would not respond unless I had it plugged in  AC power. ???

Charles Sullivan

I found my RCA unit would not respond unless I had it plugged in  AC power. ???

You're just not resourceful enough!
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.