Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11A will not work with my motherboard (and XP?)  (Read 27681 times)

Ddbord

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM11A will not work with my motherboard (and XP?)
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »

I used this module several years ago with a Windows 98SE System with perfect results.
My current motherboard has only one serial port which may be reconfigured.

I have tried EVERYTHING I know to get the CM11A to recognize a COM port.

Has ANYONE conquered this problem?

Any help will be appreciated....  I'm an Old Newbee

Ddbord

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM11A will not work with my motherboard (and XP?)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 07:53:13 PM »

XP and some motherboard chip sets where known problems with the CM11A and Active Home.
Try clicking on the Active Home Icon
Compatibility tab
Check the Run in Compatibility Mode and pick 98/ME
Check the Disable Visual Themes box
Check the Turn Off Advanced Text Services.
See if that helps. If not I will try and find an pod post where someone had some luck with the way they installed Active Home.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »

If what Brian H suggested does not work, your only recourse is to upgrade to Active Home Pro and the USB CM15A interface.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Ddbord

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »

XP and some motherboard chip sets where known problems with the CM11A and Active Home.
Compatibility tab
See if that helps. If not I will try and find an pod post where someone had some luck with the way they installed Active Home.

I have already tried this stuff to no avail.  What if I set my com to "Burst?"

Ddbord

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:43:56 PM »

Compatibility tab

I have already tried this stuff to no avail.  What if I set my com to "Burst?"

Ddbord

Apparently, nothing.

Still, your ONLY recourse is to upgrade to AHP/CM15A.  You have one of the motherboards that XP plays havoc with com ports.  That's what I had to do with my old P-III system that had one of those motherboards.   The one good thing is AHP will import your old .x10 files and convert them to the .ahx files AHP uses, so you won't loose your timers and any macros you have with Active Home now.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »

Ddbord,

You might have luck with a USB to serial dongle, thereby bypassing the motherboard serial ports altogether.

Personally, I'd say step up to AHP and the CM15A though.  You'll have to soon anyway.

Good luck!

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:59:30 AM »

I used this module several years ago with a Windows 98SE System with perfect results. .......... I have tried EVERYTHING I know to get the CM11A to recognize a COM port.

I think everyone has tried to force an old piece of hardware or software to work... at one time or another. I have an old CM11A in my "big plastic X10 parts bin", myself. I also have an old win98 laptop... I think could make it work. Finding an old working win98 PC could be a solution for you too.... for as long as the win98 machine continues to function.

But to be honest I wasn't ever all that happy with the CM11A. Because it doesn't do RF... it seemed more like a programmable timer to me.. than anything else. Of course... even the CM15A has somewhat limited RF reception.. and I felt compelled to modify my antenna right away. And I now depend on the CM15A so much... I have a backup unit... (also in "big plastic X10 parts bin").

I have learned to love my CM15A and the great Home Automation it allows me to have. But we all know (deep inside) sooner or later... it will also go the way of adding machines, black and white TV, 4:3 screen size, VCR's, my hairline AND the CM11A.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Ddbord

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

Compatibility tab

I'm actually running WinXP Pro on a quite fast modern 'puter!

I'm know I'll have to get a new module!

I was just wondering if anyone has figured out this problem!

I am not a Newbee with computers!  I've assembled my own since 1983

Thanks for the advice!

--Don

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »

We have told you what to do.   Your PC may be latest/greatest, but who made the motherboard? 

If the CM11a plays the "vanish/reappear" act, it's GOT to be the motherboard. If the USB to Serial adapter does not work either, then AHP/CM15A is your ONLY recourse.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »

...........I'm actually running WinXP Pro on a quite fast modern 'puter!

I do understand some people are compelled to use the old CM11A... because they are committed to Linux. But why a windows user... would want to use an old CM11A... is hard for me to understand. Don't get me wrong... my old CM11A is still in my X10 parts box.. I haven't thrown it away.

But Home Automation... by it's very nature is cutting edge technology. The CM11A is old technology... with very limited usefulness. The way to load the macros on a CM11A... is using your old beige win98 laptop.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »

Best I ever got with my CM11A and Windows XP was periodic com port lost connections. Had to shut down AH and restart.

I believe the problems got worse at Service Pack 2 and some that had not had AH installed before SP2, could not even get AH to load.

I believe there are many Linux users and modern motherboards using the CM11A with no or little problems.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:56:33 PM »

Best I ever got with my CM11A and Windows XP was periodic com port lost connections. Had to shut down AH and restart.

I believe the problems got worse at Service Pack 2 and some that had not had AH installed before SP2, could not even get AH to load.

I believe there are many Linux users and modern motherboards using the CM11A with no or little problems.

It's your motherboard!!!!!!!  In order to see the CM11A you didn't just shut down AH, you HAD to Reboot, That's what happened to me in 2005 when I updated to XP Home on a PIII machine.  Once that made AH unreliable I updated to AHP/CM15A, NO MORE DROPOUTS!!!!

AHP will import your .x10 files from AH, so you won't loose your modules, timers and any macros.  Stop struggling, pony up the $$ and get AHP.  BTW, X10 is sending out AHP 3.236 (the buggy version) with new orders, so one you get AHP you may look at posts here how to fix that problem.   

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.