Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wall Switch - I've searched the knowledge bases.  (Read 4492 times)

Jim 31452

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wall Switch - I've searched the knowledge bases.
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:44:46 PM »

I know it's a pain, but I have a WS12A that will turn on my porch lights but not turn them off via a timer I set in ActiveHome Pro.
I read the link that normally helps with these kind of things but it just pointed out what bulbs NOT to use. I'm using a normal porch bulb, 100 watt. Any thoughts?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Wall Switch - I've searched the knowledge bases.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »

I have a WS12A that will turn on my porch lights but not turn them off       via a timer I set in ActiveHome Pro.

I read the link that normally helps with these kind of things but it just pointed out what bulbs NOT to use. I'm using a normal porch bulb, 100 watt. Any thoughts?

Often when a light turns on, but not off it is because of line noise... also OFTEN from CFL bulbs. You've read that.

Will the light turn off when using a remote? Or is it only a AHP timer issue?

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jim 31452

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:15:21 PM »

Thanks for the reply dave.
So far, only with the AHP software & Controller. I have not set up any remotes yet.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

Set up the WS12A in AHP as a module and see if it addresses it. If so, add a timer.  My outside lamp post is on a WS12A and the timers work prefectly.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Jim 31452

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »

Dan, I should set the wall switch up as a plug in lamp module - correct?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »

No, set it up as a WS12, it's listed in the Lamp section of AHP Module selection. A WS12 is dimmable if you want it to be.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Jim 31452

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

Hi Dan, Sorry, I must have missed something.
I already have the WS12A set up in AHP as a module and I can turn it on and off with the "On-Off" Icon. I also have a timer associated with it that turns it ON when it's supposed to but will not turn it OFF when it's supposed to. I wake up in the morning and the porch lights are still on. I've deleted the timer and written new instructions, but still it only turnes ON... not off with the timer. 

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »

...I can turn it on and off with the "On-Off" Icon.

Are you turning it on then off right away to verify it works? If so, wait a minute after turning it on, then try turning it off with the icon. It's not that common, but depending on the wattage of the bulb and the electrical distance from the CM15A to the switch, if the line & load wires of the switch are reversed the extra resistance of the hot bulb filament can degrade the X10 signal to the point where it's to weak for the switch to recognize. If the line & load wires are reversed, the switch will still work properly but the X10 signal has to pass thru the load (light bulb) on it's way to the switch.

I also have a timer associated with it that turns it ON when it's supposed to but will not turn it OFF when it's supposed to.

If the above is not the problem, and you double checked the off time of the timer ;), then the problem could be that something else is getting powered on before the off command gets sent and it's causing interference or signal degradation.

Jim 31452

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »

Maybe the wires are switched... I'll try that. Also, I hooked up a transceiver and I am able to use a RF Remote to turn on & off all lights EXCEPT the ones in question.. LOL  they will not turn on or off via the RF remote.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 09:49:12 PM »

I hooked up a transceiver and I am able to use a RF Remote to turn on & off all lights EXCEPT the ones in question.. LOL  they will not turn on or off via the RF remote.

You could have a phase issue too, or something on the light's electrical circuit is generating noise or being a signal sucker.
Make sure you try the transceiver in an outlet that's on the same electrical circuit as the problem light.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.