Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wall Switches and Ceiling fans  (Read 50155 times)

Boiler

Re: Wall Switches and Ceiling fans
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »

Yes the load is Blue and White. I believe Boiler was the one who has used 220K resistors on some module.

Brian,

I don't remember using the 220K load resistor in a fan application (but then I've forgotten a lot).  Whatever the value, it would need to be sufficient to counteract the fan motor back EMF.  I've never attempted to actually measure the back EMF from one of these fan motors, so I'm not sure where the 220K came from.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 08:17:19 PM »

OK I may also be getting a brain fade  :'. Maybe it was Old Timer?

MANOWAR©

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Your new messiah's me.
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »

If I put in an XPDI3 instead of the XPS3 for the fan would it have the same problem? I'm assuming since it's a dimmer module with soft start it would start up slow to high and shut off the same way so it wouldn't click back on right? I just turn it on then down to the speed I want and it will remember it when I turn it off and back on like a WS12A does. Is this right? I know there is a possibility of fan hum with dimmers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:54:42 PM by MANOWAR© »
Lesbians killed the mullet for everyone.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 10:22:19 AM »

If I put in an XPDI3 instead of the XPS3 for the fan would it have the same problem? I'm assuming since it's a dimmer module with soft start it would start up slow to high and shut off the same way so it wouldn't click back on right? I just turn it on then down to the speed I want and it will remember it when I turn it off and back on like a WS12A does. Is this right? I know there is a possibility of fan hum with dimmers.
Perhaps someone will elaborate on the electrical dangers but an X10 dimmer and most, if not all standard dimmer switches, should never be used for a fan. The fans are not designed to work on a variable voltage. Each speed setting of the fan switches to a specific wiring in the fan for the respective speed.
It is more than just a possible hum issue.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:48:39 PM »

Perhaps someone will elaborate on the electrical dangers but an X10 dimmer and most, if not all standard dimmer switches, should never be used for a fan. The fans are not designed to work on a variable voltage. Each speed setting of the fan switches to a specific wiring in the fan for the respective speed.
It is more than just a possible hum issue.
XPDI3 is made for inductive loads. I use them on fans now. However, it do make the fan a hummer.

Although $100,  this PLC fan switch will reactivly (capacitors) change the fan speeds, so is humless http://www.hometech.com/modules/loswitch.html#LO-CCWHISPW
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

MANOWAR©

• Your new messiah's me.
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »

I like that one. Money isn't the issue. I checked out the pdf and it shows a remote wire plus the hot neutral and load. Any idea what that is for?  I assume for a 3 way switch as the traveler. The other thing is it says "All Compose Dimmers and Masters require a neutral connection.
DO NOT USE A COMMON NEUTRAL CONNECTION." What other kind of neutral is there? All I've ever seen is the whites all wire nutted together pushed into the back of the box.

Boiler

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »

Manowar,

The terminology "common neutral", as I've seen it applied, refers the 3 phase systems that are normally not found in homes.

Here's a link to a Lutron tech bulletin on switching noise on common neutral systems: Luton App Note #17

While this should not apply to you, poor connections on the hot/neutral can produce similar crosstalk and are a common cause of dimmer interaction. 

MANOWAR©

• Your new messiah's me.
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:34 PM »

Cool Boiler. Thanks. It makes sense after reading it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »

I checked out the pdf and it shows a remote wire plus the hot neutral and load. Any idea what that is for?  I assume for a 3 way switch as the traveler.
Yes, it is a traveller wire for a companion switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mcguire_1511

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »

Wall switch gets hot! switch is running on/off ceiling fan and fan lights, what am I doing wrong?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 06:50:36 AM »

If the wall switch is a dimmer type and running the fan motor. Both the motor and the switch can be damaged.

Since it is getting hot {slightly warm is normal}. It sounds like you are trying to run a fan motor on a dimmer type switch.

The fan motor can be controlled by a nondimming relay type switch and the fans light can be on a dimmer type switch.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »

Which is why I suggested that X10 make a combined lamp/appliance module for fan/light control. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

mcguire_1511

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »

Are all wall switches from X-10 dimmer type? Is there another type programable wall switch that I can use with X-10?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »

The X10 WS13A is a decorator type for things like fans and low voltage lights.
Does not dim and requires a neutral power wire to work.
http://www.x10.com/automation/ws13a_s.html

The X10Pro XPS3 is their version of the WS13A and the XPDi3 is a dimmer type that works with SOME fan motors but you have to verify it working correctly. Both need a neutral if memory serves me.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/receivers.html#wire
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.