Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to HA and x10 - Just ordered:  (Read 4446 times)

John Dillinger

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to HA and x10 - Just ordered:
« on: March 25, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Figured I'd finally introduce myself after reading these forums day and night...  ;D

I'm a recent x10 newbie and just ordered my first "starter kits" for HA and security.
These include:
--------------------------
Complete ActiveHome Professional Software Suite with HUGE Bonus Pack

1   2-pin Appliance Module (AM486)       
   1   Smart Macro Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW32A)       
   1   iWatchOut Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW33A)       
   1   PC Transceiver RF Transceiver (CM15K)       
   1   myHouse Online Software Module for ActiveHome Pro (SW34A)       
   1   EagleEye Motion Sensor (MS14A)       
   1   ActiveHome Pro - Home Security Solution (SW39A)       
   1   Lamp Module (LM465)       
   1   Keychain Remote (KR19A)       
   1   PalmPad Remote (HR12A)       
   1   3-pin Appliance Module (AM466)       
   1   ActiveHome Professional Software (SW31A)

and

7-Piece SecuriLINK Home Security System      
   1   Socket Rocket (LM15A)       
   1   Advanced SecuriLINK Security Console (SC1200)       
   3   Door/Window Sensor (DS10A)       
   1   Security Motion Detector (MS10A)       
   1   Security Keychain Remote (KR10A)
--------------------------

Reason for all of this HA in such a short time? My apartment was recently broken into (first robbery of my life) and valuables (mostly electronics and jewelry) of about 15k was taken from me. The only thing I did to prevent it was to lock my door. I've also found out that locks are much easier to remove or drill through than to pick... wish I would have known that a week ago. I'm a geek, but never programmed much except html in the olddd days. All of my computers (27" iMac i7, new Macbook Pros, Airs, all backups and redundant backups, cables, EVERYTHING) was stolen, so I am starting from scratch here.

I will be receiving an unused desktop from a friend so I can create my HA setup from that. As far as I know it's an AMD dual core, >4gb RAM, decent HDD and Optical drives, and a working power supply and fan system [:

Hopefully I'll be able (with the help of these forums) to successfully set this up through an unused desktop, but I do know that this takes time and patience. I also might be asking some questions so watch out! haha

Also wanting to know (yes.. I've read and searched everything) any tips y'all would offer to newbies just starting out. Hopefully this will be up and running within 1-2 weeks time after I receive all parts. I am planning on adding filters, UPC, and security cam in the future and hiding most elements in some type of indiscriminate area. My apartment is around 1200sqft and my wifi router/modem is a newer model 2Wire running through AT&T Uverse cable. 
Any unique problems coming from any of the configurations listed?

Thanks for all of the help and input! Hope to be posting more soon,
Sam

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: New to HA and x10 - Just ordered:
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »

1. The CM15K is NOT the CM15A, it's a CM19 and a TM751.    Search the Forum right above about this for info.

2.  Enjoy the time travel?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

John Dillinger

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »

1) I did call x10 and try to find a CM15A but it appears everyone is out of them since they are "discontinued". I selected this pack because it seemed like a great deal with all of the software/other hardware you get with it.
Am I correct on this?
 I will have to have a computer on 24/7 anyways to enable remote connections, so I figured the CM15K wouldn't be too much of an issue. I have read it can't receive powerline signals... what limitations does that mean? I am trying to connect security and automation to the same system and have it alert me when a sensor is tripped/alarm goes off.

2) Time travel is freaking awesome. I happen to find my face all over the picture box on this thing called "the history channel" [:

John Dillinger

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »

Also just read a recent post in which someone called x10 to cancel their order due to the 15k, and they sent him a 15a instead.

Should I try this method? Given I only paid $99 + shipping?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:57:41 PM by John Dillinger »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »

Try it. you have nothing to loose.  If you can't get it, try getting a RR501 transceiver to replace the 751, it's a better transceiver.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

John Dillinger

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »

Sales rep said they are not producing/selling/hoarding any of those items. I find it a pretty good deal anyways and can always upgrade later... they also have a 30 day return period.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.