Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which filter to use for my projector?  (Read 3236 times)

luke03

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Which filter to use for my projector?
« on: January 01, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »

My old Infocus projector died. I purchased a new projector, which is better in display quality and much lower in cost.
However, one problem the new projector caused is the x10 modules on that phase of wire not working any more. I have to unplug the projector from wall to make X10 working again.

I am wonder if X10 making any filter for projectors. I am sure I am not the first one running into this problem. Anyone has any suggestion about this?  I am thinking a filter plug into wall, then projector plug into that filter.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Which filter to use for my projector?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »

Yes, X10 (and others) make plug-in filters that do exactly that.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »

My old Infocus projector died. I purchased a new projector, which is better in display quality and much lower in cost.
However, one problem the new projector caused is the x10 modules on that phase of wire not working any more. I have to unplug the projector from wall to make X10 working again.

I am wonder if X10 making any filter for projectors. I am sure I am not the first one running into this problem. Anyone has any suggestion about this?  I am thinking a filter plug into wall, then projector plug into that filter.

Smarthome has X10 filters (and more). I've included a couple links... My Infocus (an old Screenplay) uses... I think.. 250 watts (amps X watts = volts) so ether should work. I'd look at a spare or too as well. The other equipment can be adding noise to your line also. So... the new projector [could have been] just enough too much to be disabling. Keep in mind.... some of the surge-protecting powerbars really suck the signal off the line too.

http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/4845ACF/ACT-AF120-15-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:01:07 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

luke03

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

Thanks so much for your help!  I found out the X10 part number XPPF, and brought one for $12.99.  Great deal!
Look forward to not manually pulling out the projector plug any more :-)

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »

Look forward to not manually pulling out the projector plug any more

The projectors are much easier [on the wallet] to buy now-a-days... but I but mine on a switch that would isolate it from the rest of the house (in case of a lighting strike). I wasn't sure how happy the insurance company would be with replacing Home Theater stuff.

That also allowed me to use smaller surge protectors instead of one big bad signal sucker.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:07:02 PM by HA Dave »

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Thanks so much for your help!  I found out the X10 part number XPPF, and brought one for $12.99.  Great deal!
Look forward to not manually pulling out the projector plug any more :-)

Luke, look very closely at the amp or wattage rating of the new projector:  if it more than 3 amps you should consider NOT using that xppf unit as they can catch fire at much less than their 5 amp rating.  the others dave gave link to are fine. 

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 11:42:03 PM »

.... the others dave gave link to are fine. 

Mike is right.... [I also believe] always go much larger than you think you might need. I use a little 5 amp filter on a little 80 watt fan. Since I use the formula (amp X volts = watts) I know the fan is less than even 1 amp.

This is the filter I would recommend:  http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

I've also tried real hard to hint that your problem could also be a signal sucker... which will actually absorb your X10 PLCs.

luke03

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:05:14 AM »

Thanks, Mike and Dave.  After Infocus projector died on me, I brought the Vivitek projector from Costco, but I am going to return it when I have time. I ordered the ViewSonic DLP Link projector, which works better for 3D.  Once I get the shipment, I will check out the amperage. Don't know how effecient is the lamp inside, for 2700 Lumens, that probably 250W lamp, plus 25W to 30W other logic circuit, I would think total is under 300W.

Projector is a lot cheaper now. My original Infocus projector LP530 was $7000 10 years ago. The Vivitek is same native resolution, but actual image is much sharper for only $400 and its 3D ready.  The ViewSonic projector PJD5133 is $359, and is 3D ready. In addition, this ViewSonic projector is 2nd generation 3D using DLP Link, not IR sync.  However, the 3D glass for this new technology is over $100 for one.  I think the price is getting much cheaper now for home theater.  I don't insure them, for the insurance increase cost per year is more than the equipment cost.

With Vivitek projector in the wall, that side of wall X10 not working. Once I unplug the projector, it immediately working fine.  So I am sure the problem is the projector.  Thanks for your suggestions and help, Dave.  It is always nice to have someone making friendly suggestion and help!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:13:24 AM by luke03 »

luke03

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

I sent back the vivtek projector and brought a Viewsonic projector. This projector works without causing any trouble to X10.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »

... This projector works without causing any trouble to X10.

A great solution! But I'd hang on to any extra filters you may have picked up. I never know what parts or pieces I might need for whatever project that pops up.

luke03

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »

... This projector works without causing any trouble to X10.

A great solution! But I'd hang on to any extra filters you may have picked up. I never know what parts or pieces I might need for whatever project that pops up.
So true. I will keep the filter with my other X10 spare gears. One could never know what would be next thing causing noise on the power line.  I always keep few extra appliance modules and lamp modules, hand hold remote, etc.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.