💬General Category > General Discussion

What is the definition of AI here?

(1/20) > >>

James G:
I bought an Alexa echo dot around the holidays. I was amazed at how good the sound quality was for voice. So far I just use it for reminders, notification of which Ring camera has detected motion or a doorbell press, and notification of Amazon deliveries. I was going to hook my Calendar up to it but it wanted permission to delete my Calendar. No thanks. I plan on adding voice control with brobin's help (above). What else is it useful for?

What is the definition of AI here? Whatever it is, it does not approach the standard one. This is all simple programming.

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: James G on March 10, 2019, 04:50:25 AM ---What is the definition of AI here? Whatever it is, it does not approach the standard one. This is all simple programming.

--- End quote ---
There is no universal answer to that here! Ask 10 different users here that question and you'll get probably 8-10 different answers.
Some believe AI is a Voice assistant like Alexa!  Voice assistants are at the far low end of true AI as far as I'm concerned.
As of right now your right Alexa or any Voice Assistant in Home Automation is simple programing. However they are getting smarter and I believe they will be more inline with the standard definition some day.
Alexa Hunches is one step in the process, although I do have it enabled I've yet to see it in action.
As to what else a voice assistant like Alexa can do, that list keeps growing everyday.
Think of a Voice assitant as a child they must be taught. Many things can be done by voice like learning your name or finding your HA devices.
Use your imagination if you want the Alexa to do something and it currently isn't possible Amazon is always looking for suggestions.
 >!

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 10, 2019, 08:07:15 AM ---….. However they are getting smarter and I believe they will be more inline with the standard definition some day.

--- End quote ---

Definitions.... are like laws in many ways..... they do NOT cross national borders. But recognizing's human speech and reacting... is by all definitions I am aware of... AI.   

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: James G on March 10, 2019, 04:50:25 AM ---I bought an Alexa echo......….I was going to hook my Calendar up to it but it wanted permission......

--- End quote ---

My laptop, iPhone, and Alexa all use the same calendar. What an Awesome way to record data, appointments, and such. It's all there, all accessible, from anywhere, anytime. That IS true automation.... at it's best.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 10, 2019, 08:07:15 AM ---….. Use your imagination if you want the Alexa to do something and it currently isn't possible Amazon is always looking for suggestions.

--- End quote ---

Or.... do it the other-way-around. Explore the technologies abilities... and then find uses you can exploit in your own life.

An example: Leonardo Da Vinci actually created the idea for the 1st Parachute. However... the invention didn't become popular until after men learned to fly planes. Then people got the idea to exploit the old Parachute idea.

The AI tech is here now. This really is the golden age of Home Automation. But peoples paradigms... are stuck in an era decades past. We have to ACTIVITY LOOK for ways to exploit this new tech.... it ain't going to come to us, you know. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version