Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lessons Learned  (Read 4786 times)

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
Lessons Learned
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but I learned a lesson the other day when solving a problem with AHP -- "Clear Interface Memory" on the CM15A prior to "Download Timers and Macros" doesn't always CLEAR everything.

I was having problems with several Marcos that all of a sudden didn't work when they had been working fine for several weeks.  I kept looking at the Macros trying to figure out what was wrong.  I disconnected new hardware (cameras) that I recently installed.  I rewrote the Macros that didn't work.  Clearing Interface Memory and Downloading Timers and Macros didn't work either.  I spent several days trying to figure out what was wrong.  Finally, I reverting back to an earlier version of my AHP file and it produced the same results ... these same Macros worked in this earlier version ... why don't they work now.  Something got corrupted. 

As an almost last resort, I unplugged the CM15A and removed the batteries for about one hour.  Put it back together, plugged in the CM15A and tried the problem Macros.  They worked fine! 

Eventhough I always "Clear Interface Memory" on the CM15A prior to "Download Timers and Macros" it doesn't appear to CLEAR everything.  All along the CM15A was never CLEARED of the corrupted data, that kept the Macros from working properly, until the CM15A was unplugged.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Lessons Learned
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:44:39 AM »

I had a problem once with a "deleted" macro that I hadn't emptied from the trash once. Seemed like it was still active in AHP. I haven't tried it recently to know if it is still true in this version of the software. I just make a point now to empty the trash bin at the bottom left of AHP before downloading.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:46:25 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but I learned a lesson the other day when solving a problem with AHP -- "Clear Interface Memory" on the CM15A prior to "Download Timers and Macros" doesn't always CLEAR everything.

I was having problems with several Marcos that all of a sudden didn't work when they had been working fine for several weeks.  I kept looking at the Macros trying to figure out what was wrong.  I disconnected new hardware (cameras) that I recently installed.  I rewrote the Macros that didn't work.  Clearing Interface Memory and Downloading Timers and Macros didn't work either.  I spent several days trying to figure out what was wrong.  Finally, I reverting back to an earlier version of my AHP file and it produced the same results ... these same Macros worked in this earlier version ... why don't they work now.  Something got corrupted. 

As an almost last resort, I unplugged the CM15A and removed the batteries for about one hour.  Put it back together, plugged in the CM15A and tried the problem Macros.  They worked fine! 

Eventhough I always "Clear Interface Memory" on the CM15A prior to "Download Timers and Macros" it doesn't appear to CLEAR everything.  All along the CM15A was never CLEARED of the corrupted data, that kept the Macros from working properly, until the CM15A was unplugged.

My guess would be that "Clear Interface Memory" probably only clears the EEPROM in the CM15A and not the RAM in the Cypress microcontroller.  The RAM may have become corrupted.  Unplugging the CM15A and removing the batteries forces the microcontroller to go through a POR (Power-On-Reset) sequence, which should re-initialize the RAM.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Put it in your "To-do Every ....days" calendar!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »

It's been driving me crazy!  I have a macro that resets the house lighting conditional upon a "Is Daytime" flag.

Lately, it's been getting halfway through the macro, then it turns several lights 100% on bright.  There is NO indication of the false commands in the Activity monitor (only the correct ones).
AND - if I store & run the macro from AHP it works; from the CM15a interface - it screws up EVERY TIME!.

Yeah, I cleared and reloaded the CM15A.  But then, I said to myself, "Self, try pulling the batteries from the CM15A!"  I answered myself, "How could that help?"   So I said, "You dummy, this IS x10!"

2 words - "Fixed-it" - And made a mental note to really do a refresh of the CM15A every weekend or anytime the system is squirrely.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »

I've been giving some thought to actually just rebuilding the entire system!

My set-up was never actually planned.... oh sure every part of it was planned... but not the entire set-up. It just sort of grew into what it's become.

I am thinking of taking a garage cleaning attitude towards the set-up. Pull it all out.... and then put it back together with a complete organized plan. Re-address the modules, switches, sensors... re-write the macros... make everything more organized and logical.

But then again... my favorite TV show starts in 27 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:38:21 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »

I've been giving some thought to actually just rebuilding the entire system!

My set-up was never actually planned.... oh sure every part of it was planned... but not the entire set-up. It just sort of grew into what it's become.

I am thinking of taking a garage cleaning attitude towards the set-up. Pull it all out.... and then put it back together with a complete organized plan. Re-address the modules, switches, sensors... re-write the macros... make everything more organized and logical.

But then again... my favorite TV show starts in 27 minutes.
Ditto on my setup. Planning was limited to assigning modules in the same room to the same room in AHP. Now with a total of over 160 switches, modules, and macros as well as 10 or so HCs in use, it would be a nightmare to rebuild.

Unfortunately the setup of AHP is a catch 22 project. You don't know how to do it right till you're done. While my layout would no doubt benefit from an overhaul, I've avoided doing it based on the old saying, "If it works, don't fix it."
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.