📱🖥️PiX10Hub > 🧞 ⛑HomeGenie Help

noise, noise, noise

(1/4) > >>

gadgetboy:
Once more into the breech.

I have recently purchased 2 mini pc's for media controllers and they function nearly perfectly, except when they are plugged in my X10 controls function as they wish, whether I am running my Homegenie on PC or RPi 3b+. I understand this is the laptop type power supplies of the mini pcs sending interference back into the circuits Just wondering what filtering I should use to help reduce the interferance caused.

Second problem. During a recent reno of my roof, the contractor discovered a spot in my roof was charred by an old cloth insulated Loomix cable. Duriny the rewiring I changed layout to enable the use of WS469 switches for my Kitchen(100 watts of LED Flourescent replacement) and Porch (8 watt LED bulb). Both these fixtures work well turning on, but not off. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

brobin:
First, plug the PC power supplies into an XPPF noise filter to solve that. Check Amazon & ebay for best prices (under $20).
For the LED issue you need a choke wired between the switch and the light fixture either in the switch box or at the fixture. Read this:

https://jvde.us/x10/x10_cfl.pdf

TLDR version:
If you are handy, an inexpensive solution for many table lamps is to install a 1000uH Miller 5258-RC
"Hash Choke" in series with the hot lead. Double insulate it with shrink sleeving. While the 1000uH
inductor is rated 1 amp (100 watt bulb), I recommend the higher current 250uH 5254-RC if you will ever
use a high-wattage incandescent bulb in that lamp. Electronic supply houses such as Digikey and Mouser
carry the chokes and suitable shrink sleeving.

If you have trouble finding the choke let me know as I have a handful of them or see this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195673408214?hash=item2d8f0b42d6:g:894AAOSwEzRkGzxa&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwKaQlVhH%2F66oqG0kgAaM0zdcw040kktSXUb%2FQ4AH%2FESjbECRqw94J3%2Fud36bHM8ExXU2Dz4PpMWdAbQBAc6fM2hEQYrUhznbuWYQDwPhUGa81RN7%2FdT7NgzgHMb8yaQQk6stAihhvDMDZF7QL1aIGTjAJunujV6DRgjAOx0PlKvagQX8lYkFz%2FeTRcurAam2vEoxvNroepX%2BTU%2FBXoQ1PKGvl8FonJD2wrmcpfNYyMijcX%2FBSX9kO3EVweMkDZuz2Q%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-rPpeqRYw

gadgetboy:
Thank you very much for the speedy consise reply. I will order these parts tomorrow.

Dave

gadgetboy:
There. Parts ordered. Now just to wait for everything to clear customs and allow me to get this back the way it was. Wife is of the opinion I am a fool until everything works well, then I am a genius. Thanks for your support in keeping me on the genius side of the scale.

gadgetboy:
Total sucess on the power supplies. Both mimis are functioning beautifully and as I thought they would. The L.E.D. tubes are working oddly. Until about 10:00 A.M. they switch as ordered. After that they often will not switch off, occasionally will switch on as ordered. Should I install more of the chokes by separating the power leads and running the chokes in parallel. I have ordered 2 XTB-ANR modules to use near the breaker box and hope they will amplify the signal for this and other occasional glitches. Does anyone have other suggestions?
I have used X10 units since about 1985 in a casual way but have started taking it more seriously in the past several years and have really enjoyed the challenges posed, and only occasionally used forbidden phrases.

Thank you for your help

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version