Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pool filter turns off, but not on  (Read 1401 times)

mikehartigan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Pool filter turns off, but not on
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »

I'm using a pair of X10 Supersocket wall receptacles to control my above ground pool filter and light using Active Home Pro.  I have the filter scheduled to turn on at 10:00 am and off at 6:00 pm.  I should note that this has been working fine for the past ten years or so.

Recently, the filter no longer turns on at the scheduled time.  I need to turn it on using the Palm Pad controller through a plug-in transceiver.  It responds instantly to that.  It consistently turns off on schedule by Active Home.

The receptacle and the filter are located at the end of a 25' 12 gauge extension cord, so distance might be a contributing factor.  But it stopped working only recently - plus, it responds just fine to the Palm Pad.  I tried switching the receptacles thinking it might be failing, but the result is the same.  I should also note that the Active Home has no trouble turning the light on and off.  It's configured the same as the filter.  I tried refreshing the Active Home controller to no avail.  I've also checked the Repeat box in the schedule. 

I'm out of ideas.  FWIW, I'm using House Code K.  Is it possible that some house codes are more responsive than others?  The pool will be unattended for a week soon, so I'm anxious to get this working.  Any other suggestions?

Edit: On a whim, I changed the house code to 'I' and it works fine now.  While this solves my immediate problem, I'd like to know what was going on here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:04:33 AM by mikehartigan »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Pool filter turns off, but not on
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:14:13 AM »

I'd try the typical things (look for new electronics, try an alternate device in the socket, try a different socket, try a different location for the controller, etc).  Typically when something stops working right, it's related to a new device (phone charger) or a device going bad (CFL, the device being controlled) or the module (supersocket in this case).  The peculiar thing is that normally you can turn the device on but it won't respond to off.

You said that you can control the module via a Palm Pad.  Is AHP connected to the same controller you are using to transceive the remote's signals?  If you are using a CM15A then that is possible.  I don't know when the CM15A was released, but I see references to it from 2006, so it's possible that you have one since you mentioned this has worked for 10+ years.  If not, then you must be using one controller with AHP and another to transceive wireless.  If that's the case, then you would be injecting the X10 signal from different locations at different signal strengths.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Pool filter turns off, but not on
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »

If the Supersockets are that old.
You may want to rotate both the House and Unit Code dials around a few times They have been known to start making poor contact with the PCB. Rotating them cleans them up.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.