🎭Entertainment > Problems and Troubleshooting

Find Other Computers, Finding What Shouldn't Be There

(1/5) > >>

Tipiford:
I have a DHC Noise Block prior to entering my breaker box, and have never seen other computers online. Now, about half of my modules aren't responding and my "Find other Computers" screen is pretty much full.
Any ideas here? (Obviously, my code is G.)

JeffVolp:
The likely cause is powerline noise either originating in your own home or coming in over the utility feed.  Lights and plug-in modules are becoming less of a problem with power conversion moving to higher frequencies or being eliminated entirely.  Now the problem is often caused by variable speed motors in major appliances or HVAC systems.  And solar inverters can be a major noise source.

I installed the Leviton version of that noise block in our home, and I saw the 120KHz carrier from our neighbor's baby monitor on the powerline when I was developing early XTB products.

Jeff

Tipiford:

--- Quote from: JeffVolp on September 13, 2023, 05:26:54 PM ---The likely cause is powerline noise either originating in your own home or coming in over the utility feed.  Lights and plug-in modules are becoming less of a problem with power conversion moving to higher frequencies or being eliminated entirely.  Now the problem is often caused by variable speed motors in major appliances or HVAC systems.  And solar inverters can be a major noise source.

I installed the Leviton version of that noise block in our home, and I saw the 120KHz carrier from our neighbor's baby monitor on the powerline when I was developing early XTB products.

Jeff

--- End quote ---
I thought the idea behind the noise blockers were to keep stray signal out of the home, anything past the meter.

brobin:
The one you have keeps noise from the outside from getting in but doesn't do much, if anything, for noise generated within the home.  Have a look at Jeff's tutorials here: https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

Tipiford:

--- Quote from: brobin on September 15, 2023, 12:07:44 AM ---The one you have keeps noise from the outside from getting in but doesn't do much, if anything, for noise generated within the home.  Have a look at Jeff's tutorials here: https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

--- End quote ---
Thank you, I have looked through these before─a good tutorial─and I am well acquainted with many X10 issues (I was an X10 dealer in the early 80's until Bad Actor X10 started dumping products in chain stores where I could stock inventory from Radio Shack cheaper than I could purchase it from X10, my distributer), but I have never seen this influx of such massive signal noise before, and especially not inside my home where no changes have been made, and all of a sudden, half (or more) of my system is inoperative.
So, I'm presently at the quandary of whether I should move to Insteon, which I believe to support X10 (and from what I've read, is not much more reliable than X10). or move to another system─maybe like Zwave─which would run waay too costly for my lowly fixed income during the passage of old age and retirement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version