Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need to control 2 Air Conditioners  (Read 6059 times)

steambc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need to control 2 Air Conditioners
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »

I thought I saw on this forum a way to use an IR543 Infrared Command Center to conrol air conditioners that use an infrared controller, but for the life of me I can't find it now.

I just ordered 2 IR543's since they had a 2 for 12 sale, but it doesn't look like there is a way to accomplish what I want.

I have 2 small air conditioners that use an IR remote to turn them on & off. Of course, just using an X-10 appliance module doesn't work because just switching the power on & off has no effect on the air conditioners since they are controlled via remote or by a membrane switch on the front panel.

Is there a way to control my 2 air conditioners with X-10 equipment? All I need is on/off.

Thanks so much for your help!
Brian

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Need to control 2 Air Conditioners
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:38:49 PM »

Is there a way to control my 2 air conditioners with X-10 equipment? All I need is on/off.

Here's what you need called powermids or Component cloak. They should just resend your IR from the AC's remotes to the AC units. I use these to resend IR remotes in my Home Theater.. and around the house.

If you have a good learning remote.... you should be able to get the TV, DVD, AC Units and everything all on the same remote.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steambc

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »

I'm not sure if I explained myself very well.

I want to use ActiveHome and myHouse to be able to turn the A/C on & off. So the ActiveHome software would control some kind of module that would send an infrared command to the A/C.

Does the device you recommended enable me to do this?

Thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:38:48 AM »

So basically you want a module that receives an X10 powerline signal and then sends by IR command, using the proper on and off code for your air conditioners.

steambc

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »

Exactly. Is there a way to do this?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:03:36 AM »

...I want to use ActiveHome and myHouse to be able to turn the A/C on & off. So the ActiveHome software would control some kind of module that would send an infrared command to the A/C.

I am sorry... with no mention of AHP or the CM15A and in General Category. But in your most recent post you mention ActiveHome and MyHouse.

I use AHP now... although I have had AH (the old CM11A) in the past. With AHP I run BVC... a Voice Control software. With BVC I use a USB-UIRT... which allows me to control TV input control (to switch to the camera view). Another option with the AHP would simply be the VCR Commander II to record and transmitt the IR.

But being your a HA/CM11A user it's more difficult. The AH doesn't send RF... and the VCR Commander II only receives RF. You will need to cobble together an RF signal generator... like a PalmPad remote modified to be activated with a Universal Module. I actually did such a thing back in-the-day... see the image attached.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »

I am not sure if such a device exists anymore.
At one time. I believe Smarthome made a X10 signal to IR sender and it could learn the IR codes from the remote.  It is discontinued.
I know there are some Insteon ones that can also use an X10 code, but are not cheap and may not learn the AC codes.
Now that we know what you are looking for. If anyone else knows of such a device. I am sure they will post it.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »

The setup I mentioned earlier... better described.

• The MyHouse software and CM11A... triggers a House/Unit Command/macro.
  • The H/U Command turns the appliance modules you already have ON.
  • Then (the macro delays) then sends the Universal Module the signal to turn ON... then OFF triggering the hacked/modified PalmPad.
  • The VCR Commander would receive the RF Command and transmitt the IR signal to the AC Unit.Turning the AC ON.
  • To turn the AC OFF... the appliance module would merely need to be turned OFF (no RF needed).

I can't (of course) guarantee this will work. It is a little complex. But I did use a similar setup to record camera video to a VCR triggered by a X10 floodlight command.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:19 PM »

steambc

I am capitalizing on Dave X10 and Brian's suggestion, but regressing down the KISS road. You said you were only using the IR remotes to turn ON and OFF the individual AC units. So if you do not control fan speed, temp, etc with the remotes, you could hack both controls with X10 Universal modules for direct control of the AC IR remotes (rather than trying to get AH to send IR to the AC units).

If your remote has a single button (push once for ON, and a second push will turn AC OFF), then one Universal module for each IR remote would work. If the IRs have an ON and an OFF button, then you would need two Universal modules for each IR remote. The Universal module will provide a momentary closure which you would need to wire across the respective switch contacts in the IR remote.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:19 PM »

.... you could hack both controls with X10 Universal modules for direct control of the AC IR remotes (rather than trying to get AH to send IR to the AC units).

I LIKE that idea!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 01:54:47 PM by Dave_x10_L »

steambc

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »

Dave W, that idea is perfect. It's exactly what I need to do.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. It's all serving to help me understand this X10 world.

Brian

strannik

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

I control 3 air conditioners and have built full climate control based on iMCA system (check it here www.iks-automation.com) You can use X10 Smart Transmitter Module SM10 if you want to use IR543 Infrared Command Center. I just soldered a wire to universal remote control - its ON/OFF button and plugged it into the IP switch from iMCA. Then i pointed the remote control to the infrared eye of the AC and fixed statically. iMCA system can generate pulse/momentary switch and its perfect for any remote control operation. Than you can make it a part of any automation scenario and create an automated climate control system...

trammaster

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »

Here's what you need called powermids or Component cloak. They should just resend your IR from the AC's remotes to the AC units. I use these to resend IR remotes in my Home Theater.. and around the house.

If you have a good learning remote.... you should be able to get the TV, DVD, AC Units and everything all on the same remote.

Hi! Where can I get that amazing all in one remote?
Im having a hard time sometimes finding the remote for my tv,for my aircon and for my dvd player. It kinda sucks sometimes.
trampolines

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.