Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LOW VOLTAGE CONTROLS  (Read 3861 times)

NORTHAVE

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
LOW VOLTAGE CONTROLS
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:05:55 PM »

Specs say that you can use the "Pro Universal Module" um506 to control outdoor low voltage lighting.  How does this unit install?  Do the low volaage wires from the lights go through the UM506 and then from the UM506 to the low voltage transformer?

Waynemor

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: LOW VOLTAGE CONTROLS
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »

Yes it does, if that is how you want to set it up.
I have my transformer plugged into an appliance module. To me that was much easier and didn't require any tampering with the wiring.
I hope that helps.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 10:10:11 AM »

Specs say that you can use the "Pro Universal Module" um506 to control outdoor low voltage lighting.

Something to be careful of is that the UM506 is only rated for 5A.  That is not much current for low voltage lighting.  Even our 300W transformer delivers 25A at 12V.

As stated earlier, an appliance module on the primary is the way to control outdoor low voltage lighting.  We used the X10 XPFM "in-line" appliance module that fit directly inside our transformer case.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

I also have my transformer plugged into an appliance module. Most of the time it works fine. Occasionally I have a problem with the lights turning back on immediately after I turn them off. Guess the collapsing Field in the transformer is enough to trip the module back on.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

I installed my lawn lamps / Low Voltage yard lights before I found X10. I hated the timer(s) used for turning the lights on/off. I hardwired a heavy duty photo sensor outside to turn on a receptacle in the basement... which my transformer plugs into. This has proved so dependable for so many years... I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:23 PM »

The downside of a photo sensor is that gives dusk to dawn operation unless a supplemental timer is used.  Most of these lights serve a purely decorative purpose.  It doesn't make sense to burn electricity for them while people are sleeping.  X10 does the job perfectly by tracking dusk, and then switching off at bedtime.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 04:59:25 PM »

I have several 300W and 600W landscape lighting transformers.  These were shipped with an ordinary Intermatic plug-in timer behind a door in the housing, with a cord from the interior of the housing which plugged into the timer.   It was simple to unplug the timer and replace it with an AM486 appliance module.  The socket on the Intermatic is on its side and I had to undo the wire clamp and pull another 2-3 inches of wire through to reach around to the socket on the bottom of the AM486.

These have worked fine for more than 10 years, however winter temperatures here are rarely below about 20 F.   The housing shields the appliance module from rain but is open on the bottom so it gets filled with spider webs.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »

Most of these lights serve a purely decorative purpose.  It doesn't make sense to burn electricity for them while people are sleeping. 

I have always considered mine to be part of my security lighting. Admittedly.... they are more decorative than say... one neighbors mercury light. But they remove shadows and dark areas... and make the home look lived in. So I burn mine... anytime it's dark outside.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.