X10 Zone > Article Discussion

The Future of X10

<< < (27/28) > >>

mike:
r there enough of us diehards left to support a Dhouston & JeffV replacement/improved pieces store?   I for one rely on my X10's at 3 locations across town to imform me if there is a security problem.  Would I spend $ 1000 on stuff in next year?  no, so maybe my question is just plain dumb if there are not enough of us $ 150/yr cheap folks left?    I do use ihouse at one of these locations also as a supplement.   the range & noise & consistency issues are always still there with most X10...  Security is 100% for me but only by bypassing the range & noise issues by almost hardwiring the various sensors to within 5 feet of the DS unit....  if these wre not issues I would add more buildings to the mix....

just puttin' the though out there.....

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: dhouston on May 11, 2013, 11:57:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: JeffVolp on May 11, 2013, 11:42:24 AM ---I'd be happy to help X10 with the signal level problem if they care to contact me.

--- End quote ---
But how much cost would it add to their devices?
--- End quote ---

Not much in high volume - a beefier power supply, high-current MOSFET, and big inductors and capacitors in the output stage.

--- Quote from: dhouston on May 11, 2013, 11:57:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: JeffVolp on May 11, 2013, 11:42:24 AM ---...or it could be a simple RF link between modules plugged into both phases.

--- End quote ---
That's easier outside of N. America. RF power allowed in Europe (433.92MHz) is about 10 times FCC limits while other areas (e.g. Australia) allow even more. Given the poor range exhibited by most X10 RF devices, I doubt they would spend the money to allow adequate range.

--- End quote ---

Not much range is needed to relay a command between two AC receptacles on different phases.  The typical range of a motion detector should be sufficient.  The receiving module would use the RF input to trigger a high-power PLC output on the opposite phase..

Jeff

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dave w on May 11, 2013, 10:57:46 AM ---..... The X10 problem I see is "newbie frustration" when they buy new CM15A and AHP, when they can get it, with (new) modules and things don't work. X10.com insinuates all one has to do is plug stuff in and instant automation abounds.
--- End quote ---

That's it! But... even with the no-tools-required cable company home automation installs... people aren't interested. Or... better stated "enough people" aren't interested. The things that CAN be done with home automation are simply amazing. But selling the products to do those amazing things... in enough volume and at a high enough price to make a profit... ain't no easy accomplishment.

When people talk about time and effort saving automation today... they are talking about apps that run on their phones. I think todays average contemporary home owner is more comfortable with downloading a phone app... than rewiring a light switch. But... that doesn't explain why the cable company isn't finding any real success at selling home automation.

I installed motion sensor light switches from the local home improvement store in the garage and laundry room years ago. I could add a few more of those and some old-fashioned timers on a few lights... and get a lot of automation for nearly nothing (and almost NO effort). Maybe that's what people are doings.... and looking at apps for bells and whistles.

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on May 12, 2013, 12:28:44 AM ---When people talk about time and effort saving automation today... they are talking about apps that run on their phones. I think todays average contemporary home owner is more comfortable with downloading a phone app... than rewiring a light switch. But... that doesn't explain why the cable company isn't finding any real success at selling home automation.

--- End quote ---

Technology was a new thing to most people back in the 70’s when home automation was introduced.  We were landing on the moon, and many people were interested in science.  There were no home computers, VCRs, or cell phones.  So automation was a way for the technologically inclined to dive into the new world.

Now pretty much every kid has a cellphone.  His quest for technology is satisfied by downloading another app or buying the next hot computer game.  While home automation can be useful, it takes some work.  How many kids today can even change a light switch?  If you watch the H&G channel, most couples buying homes don't even want to paint a room.

Jeff

pomonabill221:
I agree... it is SAD that kids today don't have a CLUE as to how to do simple repairs.
If they can't push a button, download an app, twist a knob, talk to a phone (or text), they are lost!
These primary and necessary skills have long gone from our education system... no more shop classes and if you have any kind of interest in learning, you have to pay a huge amount to go to a "vocational" school!
And repairing / troubleshooting skills???? Well NOW you are asking too much!

Sorry to get off topic, but I just had to add my .02!
Sad situation!  Wonder what the future holds?!?!?!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version