Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to adjust Robo Dog motion detector DM10A  (Read 6023 times)

gcoxusa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to adjust Robo Dog motion detector DM10A
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »

I purchased the following products in 2001: RoboDog model PK-9000 and Outdoor motion detector DM10A.  I need to know how to adjust the range and/or sensitivity of the motion detector.  I submitted the question to X10 support and they responded with a link to a pdf manual which did not answer my question.

On the inside near the battery compartment it has a switch for “High” and “Low”.  What does that mean?  Also, there are two dials with letters and numbers just above that switch.  What do those control?  I’ll attach a photo if that option is allowed.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: How to adjust Robo Dog motion detector DM10A
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:25 AM »

The two dials set the X10 Address it uses.
The House Code is A-P.
The Unit Code is 1-16.
The DS10A sends an RF signal to the address the dials are set to.
Example you have it set on B1. When motion is sensed it sends a B1 BOn. When no motion is sensed for a period of time. It sends a B1 BOff.

It also has a Dusk Dawn feature. This feature uses the next highest address. B2 in my example.
At dusk a B2 BOn is sent. At dawn a B2 BOff is sent.
The High Low switch sets the sensitivity of the Dusk Dawn light level requirements.

Can you give us a few details on your range and sensitivity problems. The main way sensitivity is adjusted. Is proper placement of the sensor. Same for range from it to the receiver.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »

Example you have it set on B1. When motion is sensed it sends a B1 BOn. When no motion is sensed for a period of time. It sends a B1 BOff.

I found this PDF on setting up a DS10A here:  http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/dm10a-is.pdf
Home Automation is an always changing technology

gcoxusa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:29 AM »

The two dials set the X10 Address it uses.
The House Code is A-P.
The Unit Code is 1-16.

It also has a Dusk Dawn feature. This feature uses the next highest address. B2 in my example.
At dusk a B2 BOn is sent. At dawn a B2 BOff is sent.
The High Low switch sets the sensitivity of the Dusk Dawn light level requirements.

Can you give us a few details on your range and sensitivity problems. The main way sensitivity is adjusted. Is proper placement of the sensor. Same for range from it to the receiver.

I am getting too many false alarms.  The motion detector is mounted on the wall (outside) about 7 feet off the ground.  On windy days it gets triggered a lot.  I think it is my neighbors bush blowing in the wind about 15 to 20 feet away.  I have adjusted the angle of the motion sensor many times but so far have not resolved the issue.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:06:36 AM »

I have not seen much on the DS10A. Many have used varied tricks on their MS14 and MS16 units that should also help with a DS10A.
I believe they have used cardboard or tape to cover part of the front lens. To decrease sensitivity.
As you know there is no physical adjustment for sensitivity.
You are probably correct. Things like moving trees and brush can trigger motion sensors.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »

..... You are probably correct. Things like moving trees and brush can trigger motion sensors.

I have found that traffic, moving leafs and branches, and I suspect even wind blown pollen may cause triggers on the "eye" sensors. I have tried many of the tricks to try to make the sensor more reliable. I've never had better than mixed results.

The one trick I really liked was putting a sensor between the Storm door and door. Attempting to pass though the door way always triggered... yet I never had any false triggers.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.