Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re: POWERLINE & RF  (Read 3005 times)

lodtrack

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: POWERLINE & RF
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:05:51 AM »

Brian, On a similar note....Have you ever seen this? I plug a chime module into the same duplex receptacle as the CM15 which outputs powerline signals(I used a 3 prong ext cord to make both fit) and the chime will not fire. It is not a split plug(and both outlets work), so this makes no sense? The chime works elswhere in the house. But I have determined the capacitor phase coupler I installed in the panel is not working for me. The chime only works in half the receptacles in the house. I cannot understand for the life of me how the chime cannot pick up the X10 signal in the same receptacle?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »

Does not make sense if the outlet is fed by a single branch circuit.
I am not an Electrician but I wounder if outlets are ever split and fed by two different branch circuits.

The passive capacitor coupler does not always get enough signal from the line with the sender and the other line with the receiver. Especially if there are lots of noise makers or signal absorbers. If it worked at one time and now it does not. Something may have changed or the capacitor may have failed. If it was one rated for across power line use. It normally would fail open and not blow up.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

I am not an Electrician but I wounder if outlets are ever split and fed by two different branch circuits.

I saw this on a house we had in Michigan. Was done for a kitchen outlet. Maybe to power two fry pans(?).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »

I saw this on a house we had in Michigan. Was done for a kitchen outlet. Maybe to power two fry pans(?).
It should be "relatively" easy to determine.
Plug a night-light (or some other tester) into each of the two sockets of the duplex outlet.
Ony by one, flip off breakers, and see what happens. If both lights go out at the same time, they are on the same breaker. If they go off separately, they are on different breakers, which *might* be on different phases.

Try plugging both the CM15A and the chime module into the same power strip (or even an extension cord with multiple sockets at the end), plugged into one of those outlets, and see if you can control the chime.  Try the same thing in the other outlet.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.