💬General Category > General Discussion

N00b question....sorry

(1/2) > >>

Synchrouk:
I've spent a few hours looking into X10 for my new house.  I would like it to integrate with my Vista Media Centre.  this does not appear to be a problem.  However, as I understand it X10 works by sending signals along the mains wiring?  How will my PC be able to access the mains cables for transmission?

Simple question, probably (hopefully) a really simple answer.

TIA

Oh, and hi all \o

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Synchrouk on October 06, 2007, 12:43:36 PM ---
How will my PC be able to access the mains cables for transmission?

Simple question, probably (hopefully) a really simple answer.

--- End quote ---

You can (as many of us do) use the AHP (Active Home Pro). It's a computer interface, and generally comes with a suite of software. You will be able to program the AHP as well as run things (all sorts of things) through your computer.

You really should start building, testing, and learning about X10 before you move.... it could give you real insight.

Another great option (I use) you may want to check-out is BVC.   Bill's Voice Commander is a software that can be used to voice control X10, and now IR too.

G. L.Tirebiter:
Just some guesses here....

Judging by your screen name and the use of the word "mains", I'm guessing you are not US based (UK?) - and most X10 equipment, including the CM15A, is designed for US voltages. Some of it can be adapted.

Maybe you are a transplant though......

Also AHP working on Vista still seems to be a challenge - you may wish to read up on these forums about that.

Good Luck,

G

Synchrouk:
Yep, the "mains" was a give away, I'm UK based.  What is the actual interface between the PC and X10 equipment, serial cable?  If so, where does this serial cable plug into (on the other end)?

Dan Lawrence:
For X10 in England, try http://www.x10europe.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version