🔌General Home Automation > Other Automation Systems

Cloudless, PC-less, PLC-less timer

<< < (9/9)

JeffVolp:

--- Quote from: dave w on July 23, 2016, 10:31:59 AM ---Off topic, but I had a 280Z. Great car. Kept it for 10 years. At 120 the front end got way too light, but it would cruise at 100.
--- End quote ---

You might be surprised how many people have told me they owned one.  It is a real classic.  This year I had the A/C converted to F134a, which has been great with our 105-110 daytime highs.

I've only run it up to 80 (which is legal out here on much of I-15).

Jeff

HA Dave:
The VCR is officially dead.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/the-vcr-is-officially-dead/vi-BBuFKgZ?ocid=spartandhp

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on July 21, 2016, 03:11:19 PM ---
I agree and can only think of one HA related situation where cloud storage can be useful - off-site storage of motion triggered video recordings in the event of a burglary........
--- End quote ---

I do the off-site security camera storage myself. But also.... Pictures (and/or video) taken with my wife and my iphones are automatically copied to the cloud. This is a great way to protect that media from loss... and allow easy sharing (even to the TV via my phone as the remote). Cloud images can be shared across state lines... great for distance located kids and grandkids.

There is a lot of shared use applications that can be cloud shared (like schedules and appointments) that just doesn't fit into people paradigms of how things are done.

One example that comes to mind would be when I was leaving the dentist office the receptionist asked if I'd like to be reminded of my next appointment by:  Being called on my home phone or a text to my mobile phone. I asked... can't I just share calendar permissions with you? I almost felt bad. She was so pleased with the progress they had made with texting. She had no idea there was more, newer tech.

The thing is our old rock solid outdated paradigms aren't JUST holding back our Home Automation setups.... they are holding back our entire nations (worlds?) progress.

The bad thing is.... our paradigms (view of how the world works) tell us how things were... NOT what CAN BE. Our natural view of how things are done.... is based on how they were done in the PAST. We can not help these natural driving forces.... that is how the human brain works. And most of the time that function serves us well. But the natural paradigms also stifle imagination, creativity, and invention.

This is NOT an age thing! It is an ambition thing. It is no harder to discard a learned response... to explore a new way to do something at age 80... than it is at age 18!!!! There is a minimum effort required when we make a decision to try streaming... as opposed to popping in an old VHS tape. The benefits to progress has always been worth the effort. No vessel or container holds anyone's memories, emotions, sentimental attachments, or nostalgia.... other than the human mind. Stuff... is just stuff.

I have ALWAYS said (as far as you know) The use of Home Automation is limited... only by our imaginations. What I failed to mention is that we get to decide if we want to limit that imagination. We don't have to limit ourselves. Our natural limitations are great enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version