Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will AH-pro do what I want?  (Read 3904 times)

randym431

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
Will AH-pro do what I want?
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:46:35 AM »

I now have the older controller-timer that looks like a small white clock. I only use it with super sockets SR227's to turn on-off lights. But the mini timer is limited to only 1-4 codes at a time, without manually switching to the 5-8 setting. I also have a thing with an antenna that is needed to control the devices (what ever that is called).
Will or does the AH-pro control more of all codes the super sockets are set to?
And does the PC need to be on all the time for the AH-pro to work?

I find the super sockets only last a year or so, then start having trouble turning on things. Even a 25watt bulb seems to wear out the super sockets in about a years time. When turned on, the sockets make a rapid clicking noise, trying to turn on, but fail to go on. Just a rapid clicking sound. So I have to replace sockets over and over when this starts.

But... will the AH-pro be better and control many more sockets with diff codes?

Is there a fix to these bad sockets instead of tossing them for new ones?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Will AH-pro do what I want?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »

Yes AHP/CM15A will control ALL codes.
No, a computer does not have to be dedicated to, in most cases.
The Super Sockets seem to have a weak part in the latching relay design. Search this forum, as someone (Brian H ?) had fixed their broken units and described how to do it.

Are the units out of warranty? X10 is pretty liberal in their return ploicy, especially if it is a known problem (and I suspect the super socket problem is known).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

randym431

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 03:16:59 AM »

So the super socets are defective?
I did a search and found no fix, just others with super socket failures like me.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:52:38 AM »

Was this the discussion you for which you were looking?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

randym431

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »

Yes I seen that, but nothing about a fix (other than replacing the socket with a new one).

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 11:06:26 AM »

Did you see the picture at the link of about the 3rd message? While it doesn't give a fix, it is a good picture of the insides showing the most common piece that breaks. It at least gave me an idea of what is going on with some of the defective ones. Someone else had success lubing theirs.

Good luck! You may have to shell out for a new one.  :(
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

randym431

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »

Well I hate to say it but generally these and most x10 devices are junk. There reliability is shotty at most. And when you're talking security, you need 100% reliability. In theory, x10 devices sound great, in reality, they fall way way short.

I am surprised someone or company does not make quality products to replace all these x10 products. Its not like there is not a huge need for these devices.

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 01:34:11 AM »

Well I hate to say it but generally these and most x10 devices are junk. There reliability is shotty at most. And when you're talking security, you need 100% reliability. In theory, x10 devices sound great, in reality, they fall way way short.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.  I would prefix your statements with "IMHO" though... ;) [*YOU* decided to buy the YUGO! And now *YOU'RE* complaining?!?  :o ::) ;D ]

I've been running X-10 devices since the days of BSR and SEARS, and some of those modules are STILL running. BSR reliability wasn't so good - most of the modules (Appliance, Lamp, Wall Switch - Paddle and Push Button :o ) have died. One RS Mini-Controller overheated. One RS Appliance Module (controlling an electric heater) started to melt (something caused the outlet of the AM to oxidize / corrode / develop a green powder film, which increased it's resistance, which produced heat). Both the BSR and the SEARS 16-Unit Controllers are still working, along with the fluorescent display timer and the black / woodgrain red LED timer (some *OLD* stuff! ;) )

...I am surprised someone or company does not make quality products to replace all these x10 products. Its not like there is not a huge need for these devices.

Where have you been? Better quality X10 products have existed for YEARS! But, they cost more money (quality control, AGC, etc... doesn't come for free).  :-[

Spend a little time browsing through the online catalogs of:

Look at (in approximate cost order, IIRC):

• X10 Pro
  • Leviton DHC
  • ACT

for starters.

BUY a few modules ($$$) and then report back. :)

[And apologize to X10 for bad-mouthing them on their own forum.  :-[ ]
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.