Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clarification regarding multiple tranceivers on one house code?  (Read 1034 times)

N-Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Clarification regarding multiple tranceivers on one house code?
« on: November 02, 2023, 08:19:52 AM »

I have been running two RR501's on one house code for some time.
And with modern switching power supplies I'm having difficulty keeping the system working.

I was looking at relocating the RR501's but when I looked at the current spec sheets for them, it says not to use more than one on a single house code.

Add as many Handheld Remotes and X10 Wireless Modules, as you want within one House Code (A-P) to each
Base Transceiver. Be careful to have only one RF Base Transceiver Module or X10 Security Console (which also converts RF Signals into X10 Signals for the electrical
power line) per House Code.
If more than one Base Transceiver Module is used on the same House Code, X10 Signal Collisions may result

When I first bought these, the RR501 was supposedly the one you had to use if you put more than one on a single code. Specifically because it had collision detection and correction.

I just looked at the TM751 and I see this in the specs:

NOTE: Attempts to use more than one TM751 Transceiver on the same wiring may occasionally cause signal collisions which may "lock up" your transceiver. Though, most home systems run easily off a single transceiver. In the event of a lock up, simply unplug your transceiver and plug it back in. If you feel you need more than one transceiver, the RR501 Transciever is the TM751's bigger brother. It is built with a filter system to filter out signals from other RR501 transceivers so lockouts and hangups aren't a problem.

Am I missing some nuance in the wording?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Clarification regarding multiple tranceivers on one house code?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 10:36:12 AM »

You should be ok using RR501 on the same circuit because it is polite when transmitting on PLC.  That said, if you had two RR501 in the same outlet on the same circuit and on the same HC, you would have every RF signal received and transmitted multiple times (one for each RR501).  If you are simply controlling a light on/off, having a duplicate signal will not be an issue.  There are cases where this could be a problem, but for the most part your setup should be acceptable.  And you learned that in practice presumably.

If you had multiple TM751 in the same situation, you would have a problem.  The RF signal would be received by both and they would both immediately try to send that out on PLC.  RR501 will wait until the line is clear but TM751 will not and the two signals will collide and corrupt each other.  Don't do this!

N-Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Clarification regarding multiple tranceivers on one house code?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 01:06:59 PM »

You should be ok using RR501 on the same circuit because it is polite when transmitting on PLC.  That said, if you had two RR501 in the same outlet on the same circuit and on the same HC, you would have every RF signal received and transmitted multiple times (one for each RR501).  If you are simply controlling a light on/off, having a duplicate signal will not be an issue.  There are cases where this could be a problem, but for the most part your setup should be acceptable.  And you learned that in practice presumably.

If you had multiple TM751 in the same situation, you would have a problem.  The RF signal would be received by both and they would both immediately try to send that out on PLC.  RR501 will wait until the line is clear but TM751 will not and the two signals will collide and corrupt each other.  Don't do this!

Thanks!

Mine is an odd situation for X10. This is a farm (hobby) and the electrical feed is odd. Mains transformer is on a pole at the road. The feed line from the transformer goes to a pole in the barnyard and from there three separate lines go to the house, garage and barn. Before all the noisy electronics showed up years ago, I could control lights in the garage and barn as well as the house with the one RR501 in the house.

Not any more. I have a second RR501 in the garage. Signals don't seem to get to the garage from the one in the house. (Or vice-versa) The barn is out of the question now. I'm having trouble getting the signals across the phases even with an XPCR Coupler/Repeater in the power panel.

I ordered (just arrived 20 minutes ago) an X10 PLC01 power line command repeater from Amazon. Looking at it I see it has an LED indicator that flashes when it repeats a signal. This may prove helpful seeing where I do and don't have signal.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.