Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: certain outlets don't work  (Read 4823 times)

bob755

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
certain outlets don't work
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »

I'm using an XM10E powerline interface driven from a microcontoller.  It turns on and off X10 modules on certain power outlets but not others.  They are all on the same phase and the distances are practically the same.

There aren't any heavy duty appliances connected and the outlets that don't work are mostly in the bedrooms.
I checked through some posts in the troubleshooting section but didn't find anything that could help.

Any ideas where I could start looking?

Thanks

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: certain outlets don't work
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

This definitely sounds like a phase issue to me.  do you have a phase coupler installed?  also look for  things such as cell phone chargers and PC's taht may need to be filtered to eliminate noise

>!  Ken

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

What country are you in? Do you have 3-phase power? What microcontroller based system do you have?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:54:25 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:45 PM »

Any ideas where I could start looking?
kenrads suggestion of phase coupling is a good place to start. How do you know the outlets are on the same phase? (The two columns of breakers in your panel DO NOT represent the two phases, many readers think they do) and which phase is the controller on?

Here is good troubleshooting information:
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

Also if you have a 220V clothes dryer or electric range, turn dryer on heat or heat the oven and try the outlets again. If they work, you likely have a phase coupling problem, otherwise you could have an electrical noise problem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 08:31:49 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »

@kenrad, dave w,

The XM10E is a European 50Hz/230V version of the TW523 (although updated for Cenelec approval). If it is a phase issue, it can get complicated as microcontroller based interfaces designed for 60Hz will not supply 3-phase 50Hz with the right timing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:05:27 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »

@kenrad, dave w,

The XM10E is a European 50Hz/240V version of the TW523 (although updated for CE approval). If it is a phase issue, it can get complicated as microcontroller based interfaces designed for 60Hz will not supply 3-phase 50Hz with the right timing.
Thanks. I did not recognize as European. So would it likely be noise?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:53 PM »

Thanks. I did not recognize as European. So would it likely be noise?
It could be a phase issue. Some areas use multiple phases while others do not. We need more information from the OP.

bob755

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:22:31 AM »

Thanks very much for the quick replies.

I'm in France and the main supply is monophase 50Hz. I'm sure because I rewired the house some years ago.
There is an option in the microcontroller (Arduino) software library for 50 or 60hz operation and it is set correctly fo 50hz.

The downstairs outlets that do work every time however the upstairs ones have never worked so it doesn't seem to be random.

There are however  cpl modules in the house. Could it be an interference issue?

I also tried setting the repetitions to 3 instead of 1 but that hasn't made any difference.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 06:12:47 AM »

For monophase, one repetition is correct. It's likely to be a noise or attenuation issue. If so, it can usually be solved with filters although I am not familiar with the specific filters that may be available in Europe. This web article explains the issue from our perspective in the USA.
One of these links may help.

The interference issue is likely to be worse in Europe than it is in N. America. Not only does Europe have the same noise and signal attenuation sources, Cenelec regulations limit PLC amplitude (<5Vpp - the XM10 output is 2.5Vpp) and there may be hundreds of residences sharing a power distribution transformer.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:04:42 AM by dhouston »

bob755

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

Seems to be an interference issue. The XM10E was connected to a power strip with a laptop pc power supply, router, powerline adapter and desk lamp.
I moved it to another outlet in the same room and it works.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »

It's more likely that something on the powerstrip was attenuating the X10 signal. Such effects tend to be localized and changing outlets can sometimes be a solution.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »

I would suspect any or all of the electronic devices on the power strip and if the power strip has a noise filter in it. The strip itself could be a problem.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

While all, including the powerstrip, are candidates, one or more of those devices plugged in between the XM10E and wall plug are the likely culprits. And, the fact that some of the XM10E output of 2.5Vpp survived to operate some devices would indicate a somewhat moderate attenuation, probably from a single device.

bob755

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

Thanks very much for all your input. Very helpful and much appreciated.

The XM10E will eventually be plugged in to a circuit that also has an ethernet powerline adapter quite close. Do you think it is likely to interfere with the X10 signals?
These  ethernet adapters operate at 1,6 to 30 Mhz.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »

It should not cause X10 problems but the only way to know for sure is to try it. The frequencies are much higher than the 120kHz used by X10.

The problems you saw were likely due to across-the-line filters in one or more of your devices on the powerstrip. Such filters greatly attenuate X10 signals (and may give your ethernet device problems).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.