Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 neutral wire issue  (Read 10688 times)

seanikai

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPS3 neutral wire issue
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:17:12 PM »

I wanted to change my fan fixture from a soft start ws467 wall switch to an xps3 rocker style switch so I could sctually use my ceiling fan again (I put the other one in the first week I was messing with x10 and didnt understand why it wouldnt work) anyways, I've found the neutral, but its soldered together in a big knot and wouldnt fit into the xps3's neutral screw in place in the back, I know I need to run a smaller guage of wire to it but what kind should I get? and should I twist the wires and then wrap with electrical tape or do they make those plastic twist caps for larger wires?

any help would be appreciated, thanks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: XPS3 neutral wire issue
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:48:28 PM »

...I've found the neutral, but its soldered together in a big knot...
I've never seen home wiring soldered. That right there kinda scares me.

...do they make those plastic twist caps for larger wires?...
Yes they make wire nuts in a assortment of sizes. Stop by your local hardware store, give them an idea of how many and what gauge wires you need to twist together and they'll give you an idea what you need. While you're there go ahead and buy an assortment, you'll eventually need it.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071011183046AAMrM7h

This eBay deal has some good pictures of the common wire nut sizes.  <-- This link is dead but eBay continues to have many sales on wire nuts. Just search for "wire nuts" at ebay.com.

If you're new to home wiring a cheap "how to book" on wiring, would be a good investment also.

Oh one must have is a neon voltage tester. They're cheap and can prevent any shocking surprises. This is particularly good idea if you're not sure if your home is wired to code. (I'm still trying to visualize someone actually soldering the wires.)

True story: In an older home, I shut off the breaker and confirmed that there was no power on the switch I needed to change and then got shocked from another switch in the multigang box.
Moral of the story: Always be sure power is off to anything you might touch.

Test every wire even if you're "sure" the power is off.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:04:08 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

seanikai

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »

I dunno, I was holding the multimeter and the flashlight (the room I was installing the switch in doesnt get much sunlight) - my brother said it was soldered, I will pull the assembly out and get a picture, it just looked like it was the main hub (not sure if thats the term) for all the neutral wires in my room, it looked like there were 3 or 4 of them all tied into a knot looking thing that he said looked like it had solder on the end, this x10 stuff is the only thing I've ever tried to wire into a house so I'm pretty clueless on what should look like what

anyways thanks man, everyone on this forum is so great to help with stuff, I will post that pic as soon as I have the time

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:07:08 PM »

...my brother said it was soldered...
Sounds like it's worth a second look. If you use wire nuts properly, the wires will be very well bonded together.

...this x10 stuff is the only thing I've ever tried to wire into a house so I'm pretty clueless on what should look like what...
Then a neon voltage tester and a book on wiring will definitely help. You'll feel a lot more comfortable after seeing a few pictures in a "how to book".

Also check out the eBay link I added to my last post for lots of wire nut pictures.
Yellow and red wire nuts are the most used in home wiring.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:18:17 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

The reason the WS467 didn't work with the fan. Is it steals the power it needs to work through the light bulb.
The fan didn't supply the current needed and it is not resistive. So any dimmer type could run into problems.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

...I've found the neutral, but its soldered together in a big knot...
I've never seen home wiring soldered. That right there kinda scares me.

Steven R:

In the olden days, here in Ohio, (before wirenut technology) it was common practice to solder the connections together with a soldering GUN (still got dad's old weller two stage with the headlamps) and cover it with friction tape.  (man, I hate taking those old friction tape connections apart)

To any of you Ohio guys familiar with the old Gary Burbank show on 700 WLW,

Grandpa told me this in a bar one night!!!

Yes, I know that I'm still just a pup, but I'm familiar with the old ways of the force.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »

....In the olden days, here in Ohio, (before wirenut technology)...
Gee and I thought I was old. You mean there was a time before wire nuts?  ;D

...still got dad's old weller two stage with the headlamps...
Thanks for triggering the memory. My dad had one of those too. Hmm... Wonder what ever happened to it?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:47:04 AM by steven r »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 06:14:56 AM »

Gee I still have a Weller somewhere also.  :'

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »

"Well err" maybe we should start a group.
(Ok I realize it's a painfully bad pun but when you're addicted to "punny" jokes you try to find as many people to torture share them with as possible.)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »

Me too - in the lower drawer of my workbench.  It's the dual-heat version with its case is epoxied together because I dropped it back when I was a kid.  The trigger switch is getting sticky, but I still use it when I need to solder something bigger than a PCB.  Replacement tips are just a hunk of 12 gauge copper wire.  Compare that with the dang $6 soldering iron tips.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Bill59

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »

I got one too. You got to jiggle it a little, and then it hums and vibrates in your hand. That's when you know it's getting hot. The headlight is burned out!

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »

You got some old wire there man.  You might not want to cut that bunch of wires to put a wire not on them they might be brittle and break or something else real bad..  Was there black tape on them what was insulating them in the box.;   

You might want to get out a Weller and  just get a tinned lead to stick to it.   the xps shouldnot draw to much.  a short tap inside the box is leagal as long as it is as big a wire as the one going to the switch.    then tape it back up like it was and stick that wad in the back of the box the tap will allways be there ..  for switches of the future  and if you don't need it later, just put a small wire nut on it and stuff it behind the switch also.
M M ElectricMan

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.