Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: XPS3 Three Way Switch and Transmitter Issue  (Read 3156 times)

p1rata

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XPS3 Three Way Switch and Transmitter Issue
« on: February 01, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »

I have installed two XPS3-IW switches.  One controls my porch light and the other is a three-way setup for the entry-way light.  The switches work correctly, but when I try to use the remote something strange happens.  I have a PAT02 transmitter and PHR04 keychain remote.  When I press the on button on the remote, the porch lights turn on but the entry light flashes three times quickly then turns off.  Any guesses as to why this is happening?  I have tried multiple channels and get the same results.  I have not tried exchanging the switches to see if the problem is with the switch.

I would appreciate any insight.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: XPS3 Three Way Switch and Transmitter Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »

Are both XPS3 switches on the same or different X10 Addresses?
In the three way setup. You have an XPS3 for one of them and the XPSS Companion switch for the other one? Connected to the Control Input of the XPS3?

p1rata

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »

Both switches are on the same address.  On the entry-way light I have a companion three-way (XPSS Companion) connected to the control input.  The switches work properly when pressed.  The problem only occurs when I use the remote.  It may be worth noting that the entry way three-way isn't working 100%.  My light is in the middle of the circuit and I don't have a neutral wire at the end of the circuit.  I placed the control switch at the beginning of the circuit to have access to the neutral wire and the companion at the end.  So - the companion switch can only turn the light off, which isn't a problem for me since that is about the only thing I need it to do.  I can't imagine that that is why the switch isn't functioning properly when using the remote, but I thought I would mention it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »

I don't think the wiring is a problem but will see if I can find anything out.
As it is strange and sounds like when the light is Off. The companion acts like it has no power.

Are the lights incandescent or an alternate bulb? Like a LED or CFL?

One thing you may want to try as a test.
Disconnect the Control Input wire on the XPS3 and insulate it so it doesn't touch anything. Then see if anything has changed with the remote controlling the XPS3.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:54:00 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »

Out of curiosity, what unit codes are the switches on?
Do you have any motion sensors in your setup at all? If so, what codes are being used for those? Some of the motion sensors had dusk/dawn sensors built in - which could cause strange behavior when lights near them go on and off.
This may be a long shot - but if you are using AHP, check for any macros tied to those addresses. Even deleted ones can cause problems if they are still in the Recycle Bin in AHP.

p1rata

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »

The bulbs are incandescent.  The codes are set to B 15.  I do have a motion sensor for some other lights, which are on B 16.  I'm not using AHP, just the keychain remote.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »

The bulbs are incandescent.  The codes are set to B 15.  I do have a motion sensor for some other lights, which are on B 16.  I'm not using AHP, just the keychain remote.
After re-reading this thread a few times, I want to make sure I understand your setup correctly:
A. Porch light on B15 (single XPS3 switch)
B. Entry light on B15 (XPS3 with companion XPSS 3-way setup)
C. Motion sensor on B16 for other lights.
D. When turning the switches on or off manually (at the XPS3 switch), both function correctly.
E. The XPSS can only turn the lights off - it is unable to turn the lights on.
F. When using the keychain remote to turn on the lights, the porch one works fine, but at the same time the entry one (on the same B-15 code) flashes three times, then turns off.

Assuming this is all correct, I've got a few more questions (I know it is a lot, but I really want to try and understand the problem so I can try to help):
1. If the lights are both on, does the remote work to properly turn them both off at the same time?
2. If you pull the "bulb change disconnect" switch from the porch light switch (so it won't turn on at all), does the entry light behave the same way?
3. Did you try disconnecting the "control wire" from the XPS3 (as Brian had suggested)? If so, did that make a difference?
4. When you "tried other channels," did you change the house code, unit code, or both?
5. When you "tried other channels," did you only change the one switch that is acting up, or did you do both switches? Did you change any other switches at the same time, too?
6. Is the motion sensor located near either the porch light or the entry light (the lights themselves, not the switches)?
7. Do you have any other devices on address B15?

--Noam

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.