Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: X-10 Modules not Responding after Smart Meter Install  (Read 109329 times)

JeffreyB

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: X-10 Modules not Responding after Smart Meter Install
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »

Don't have access to the logs right now, but yes it does appear to be only 2-3 HCs.  The times are always around 2:30am, 3:30am and 4:30am.  Wouldn't the PZZ01 knock that down, or is it just too strong?  I'm going to reset my system and exclude those HCs and see what happens.  Still not a fix as I use most of the HCs in my HA system....

Jeff

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »

Don't have access to the logs right now, but yes it does appear to be only 2-3 HCs.  The times are always around 2:30am, 3:30am and 4:30am.  Wouldn't the PZZ01 knock that down, or is it just too strong?  I'm going to reset my system and exclude those HCs and see what happens.  Still not a fix as I use most of the HCs in my HA system....

Jeff

If you can narrow it down to specific UNIT codes, too, you might be able to avoid the problem codes, and still have enough to go around.

The PZZ01 is designed to block incoming X10 signals, but maybe the incoming signals are strong enough that they still make it through. The other possibility (as I mentioned before) is that some other device in your home is actually creating the noise, due to some sort of interaction with the Smart Meter.

You would think that if they are sending signals back to the utility company over the powerline to report information, they could figure out a way to only send the signals in one direction, and prevent them from coming into the house wiring.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »

You would think that if they are sending signals back to the utility company over the powerline to report information, they could figure out a way to only send the signals in one direction, and prevent them from coming into the house wiring.
This is deliberate as they want third-party energy use monitors to be able to access the signals. It wouldn't do much for usage awareness if you had to go out and climb a pole to  see the data. :'
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffreyB

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2011, 04:30:40 PM »

A couple of weeks before they intalled the meters, they installed these repeaters on the outside of all of our ground level transformers.  Apparently these are the devices that receive meter info via PLC (over about 100 ft of power line from house to xformer) and then process it and send the data back to the utility company.

Jeff

More info here:  http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Smart-Grid-Ohio-Facts.pdf
Here's a picture:

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

But the pulses could come from your neighbor's meter, as well.  rofl

Not likely. My next door neighbor's electric service is on a different transformer than my service.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Backward Engineering

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2011, 05:15:57 PM »

I used the term "Shore Power" only because the company that manufactured the powered cord real that I installed calls it a 12 volt powered "Shore Power" real.  I guess that makes my RV amphibious. I just found a dead X10 command Center in my home.  I should mention that about 6 weeks ago we had lightening strike a tree that was only 8 feet from the RV where I had been standing only 2 minutes earlier  The X10 noise problem had started weeks prior to the lightening strike and I was not using the X10 system because of the noise issue.  We have lived in the same house for 39 years and this is the only time we have had lightening strike so close.  The lightening strike took out our SCE pole mounted transformer and I'm not surprised by some failures in my electronics.  It could have been much worse.

Skipper Don

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »

This is deliberate as they want third-party energy use monitors to be able to access the signals. It wouldn't do much for usage awareness if you had to go out and climb a pole to  see the data. :'
Here in Maryland, they tell us that after the install the smart meters, we will be able to log into the power company's website, and see our energy usage statistics. I don't see why that requires sending the data through the power lines INTO my home.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 06:14:51 PM »

But the pulses could come from your neighbor's meter, as well.  rofl

Not likely. My next door neighbor's electric service is on a different transformer than my service.

So you're the only house on your transformer?

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

I used the term "Shore Power" only because the company that manufactured the powered cord real that I installed calls it a 12 volt powered "Shore Power" real.  I guess that makes my RV amphibious. I just found a dead X10 command Center in my home.  I should mention that about 6 weeks ago we had lightening strike a tree that was only 8 feet from the RV where I had been standing only 2 minutes earlier  The X10 noise problem had started weeks prior to the lightening strike and I was not using the X10 system because of the noise issue.  We have lived in the same house for 39 years and this is the only time we have had lightening strike so close.  The lightening strike took out our SCE pole mounted transformer and I'm not surprised by some failures in my electronics.  It could have been much worse.

Skipper Don

I still suspect that the smart meter might be causing the power supply in the RV to be noisier than it was before.
Before you repair the power supply, you might try (if you have an opportunity to do so) to find a place to plug it in that is NOT on a smart meter (a friend's house, perhaps, or using a portable generator, or something like that), and use the XTBM to see if the noise levels are the same.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »

Here in Maryland, they tell us that after the install the smart meters, we will be able to log into the power company's website, and see our energy usage statistics. I don't see why that requires sending the data through the power lines INTO my home.
I think the ultimate goal is to allow Duke to control your HVAC, water heater, etc, for load control during peak periods. I suspect the reference about sending data back to customer is refering to data for appliance control. They will need such control after everyone is forced to drive the Obama Volt.   ::)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »

I have also read about being able to shed loads inside your house remotely.  B:(

Backward Engineering

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:10 PM »

I still suspect that the smart meter might be causing the power supply in the RV to be noisier than it was before.
Before you repair the power supply, you might try (if you have an opportunity to do so) to find a place to plug it in that is NOT on a smart meter (a friend's house, perhaps, or using a portable generator, or something like that), and use the XTBM to see if the noise levels are the same.

Having a background in Power Electronics Engineering, I prefer the analytical approach over the empirical method.  When I speak of Power Electronics Engineering, I'm referring to static power converters in the mufti-megawatt range where power factor correction is normally required.

The power company here, SCE, has offered us a rate reduction if we agree to allow them to control our HVAC.  The problem is, we don't have or need HVAC.  We are close enough to the coast that the weather here is always mild.  They would control the power to the HVAC via power line communications.  So we pay the higher rates because we use less.  Isn't that upside down?

Don

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »

The power company here, SCE, has offered us a rate reduction if we agree to allow them to control our HVAC.  The problem is, we don't have or need HVAC.  We are close enough to the coast that the weather here is always mild.  They would control the power to the HVAC via power line communications.  So we pay the higher rates because we use less.  Isn't that upside down?

You don't have an HVAC system at all? If you do (but don't use it), let them install the control box, just to get the reduced rate.
If you don't, pick up a window unit and a space heater, have them come in, scratch their heads, and then insist on getting the rate reduction.

Backward Engineering

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:28 PM »

No, I don't have HVAC at all.  That's why we live in Southern California, Great Weather.  The local electric company requires the HVAC to be a central unit with the required interface for remote control by the power company.  I could probably get a government rebate for an energy efficient HVAC, but I would consider that a waste of taxpayer money.  It's like the rate payer funded giveaway of electric lawn mowers to people that didn't even have a lawn.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:09 PM »

I have been communicating with another fellow having problems with his X10 system since installation of a smart meter.  It is manufactured by Echelon.  In the documentation there are numerous references to LonWorks.  Searching that turned up some transceivers for communicating over the powerline.  Now here is the interesting factor.  The spec sheet on one of those devices quotes carrier frequencies as 132KHz (primary) and 115KHz (secondary).

Since the X10 bandpass is 120KHz, and X10 devices do not incorporate a very selective input stage, it is entirely possible that the 115KHz, and even the 132KHz, will interfere with X10 communication if it is being transmitted during the X10 transmit window.  I have yet to find details of the actual communication protocol, so I don't know for sure that the smart meter transmitter would be active during that interval.

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:53:09 PM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.