Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: UM506 to control 12VDC Hobby Motor  (Read 14194 times)

seedyburner

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
UM506 to control 12VDC Hobby Motor
« on: August 31, 2006, 03:18:03 AM »

I'm still in the thinking phase of this. I did a search and didn't see anything. I want to put blackout shades in my TV room and have them automated. I've looked at some prepackaged systems and they seem very expensive. I figured I could do the same thing using the UM506 and a 12VDC hobby motor. So far it seems like a 12VDC motor should have plenty of power to run power the shades. The question I'm having trouble with is 'Am I going to need a motor controller?' I know that I would need to use the momentary setting on the UM506 but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make sure that the motor runs just long enough to make sure the shades are closed or open. Does anyone have any suggestions?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: UM506 to control 12VDC Hobby Motor
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 09:11:01 AM »

...I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make sure that the motor runs just long enough to make sure the shades are closed or open. Does anyone have any suggestions?
That and directional control are 2 of the reasons that "some prepackaged systems seem very expensive". :)
That said if you should figure out a cheaper means to do it by all means let us know. The main obstacle that I see is the auto shutoff of the motor at the open and closed positions.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

TakeTheActive

• Helpful Post Rating: 126
  • Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »

I'm still in the thinking phase of this. I did a search and didn't see anything. I want to put blackout shades in my TV room and have them automated...

...I figured I could do the same thing using the UM506 and a 12VDC hobby motor...

...I know that I would need to use the momentary setting on the UM506 but I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to make sure that the motor runs just long enough to make sure the shades are closed or open. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We were discussing a similar topic last week: Drapery Controls with Univeral Module  (Read 250 times)

See if it gives you any ideas.

I haven't thought this COMPLETELY through yet (haven't had *ANY* coffee yet!!), but how about:

• 1 UM506 #1 on CONTINUOUS to 12 Hobby Motor (how you're going to REVERSE DIRECTION is still not figured out)

UPDATE #1: Interrupt the 12VDC going into the 12V Motor and insert a DPDT Latching Relay powered by a Wallwart, wiring the Relay in an 'X' pattern to reverse the 2 Common wires to one of the output contact pairs and pass them straight through to the other; Plug the WallWart into an APPLIANCE MODULE; Add command AM466 ON AM466 OFF to Macro; Each time the drapes stop, the LATCHING RELAY reverses the DIRECTION of the 12V Motor.
  • 2 POWERFLASHes (will look up Part # later - after coffee!) on 2 Limit Switches (FULL OPEN #1 & FULL CLOSED #2) to trigger MACRO to turn UM506 #1 OFF (since a POWERFLASH is *USUALLY* used to turn something on - I have to check if leaving the Limit Switch activited will flood the power line with commands or if it has a "momentary" option. Or if the Limit Switches should be N.O. or N.C.)

OPERATION: Send command to turn UM506 #1 ON; 12V Motor turns ON; Drapes move towards OPPOSITE Limit Switch; Drapes reach OPPOSITE Limit Switch, actuation triggers POWERFLASH, POWERFLASH triggers MACRO, MACRO turns UM506 #1 OFF.  ::)

It's still (too) early (for my brain), but I thought I'd at least get this idea on the table. I'm sure Brian H and Charles Sullivan will chime in and either blow my idea out of the water or expand on it.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 11:04:45 AM by TakeTheActive »
Low Post Count != Low Knowledge - High Post Count != High Knowledge ;)

ADVICE TO X-10 NEWBIES FROM AN X-10 OLD-TIMER

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »

;D Simple solution.

Visit http://www.worthdist.com/aam/aam80.htm

AAM80 Add-A-Motor Drapery Control Motor $62.15

This is what is said about it:
Now there is an economical way to control your draperies and vertical blinds. This system features time schedule and remote control operation, traverse, and even rotates vertical blinds. Stop positions are independently adjustable -- all the way open -- all the way closed -- and all in between. The X10 Motor has a loop-end system for cord or ballchain; no need to cut or replace drapery cords. Use the X10 Motor with any AC switch, ordinary lamp timer switch, wireless remote control or various X10 controllers. AC-DC adapter with 9-ft. cord is included.

Installation takes about 15 minutes! The motor attaches to the loop end of your window covering cord or chain without modification. It can traverse drapery or vertical blinds up to 18' wide.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:19:34 PM »

AAM80 Add-A-Motor Drapery Control Motor $62.15...
Sure seems easier and perhaps cheaper than trying to reinvent the wheel.
How do you use X10 to control the settings on it however?
Can you manually override it?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 12:21:10 PM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »

seedyburner

You might also check out this thread
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=8413.0
I have been toying with the idea of using a power screwdriver for motorized screen action, which would essentially be same as blackout shades in operation. A power screwdriver with an adjustable clutch might eliminate the hassles of engineering in limit switches.
Definately go with TakeTheActives advice of a reversing relay. Otherwise X10 falsing could cause BOTH forward and reverse power being applied to the motor, which would short out your power supply.

The $62 solution from Worthington is right price range but I can't figure how to adapt it to a screen.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:28:51 PM »

AAM80 Add-A-Motor Drapery Control Motor $62.15

Quote from: This is what is said about it:
Now there is an economical way to control your draperies and vertical blinds. This system features time schedule and remote control operation, traverse, and even rotates vertical blinds. Stop positions are independently adjustable -- all the way open -- all the way closed -- and all in between. The X10 Motor has a loop-end system for cord or ballchain; no need to cut or replace drapery cords. Use the X10 Motor with any AC switch, ordinary lamp timer switch, wireless remote control or various X10 controllers. AC-DC adapter with 9-ft. cord is included.

Installation takes about 15 minutes! The motor attaches to the loop end of your window covering cord or chain without modification. It can traverse drapery or vertical blinds up to 18' wide.

Otis69, where did you copy the above quote from? I can't seem to find it at the LINK you supplied.  ???

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:08 PM »

Otis69, where did you copy the above quote from? I can't seem to find it at the LINK you supplied.  ???
Look at the bottom of the page. It's there.

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:58:36 PM »

Look at the bottom of the page. It's there.

Not for me!  :o

My screen begins with:

Motorize Drapery

• Open-close up to 15 feet wide
  • Center-open up to 30 feet
  • Fabric weights up to 60 pounds
  • Motorize Vertical Blinds

and ends with:

Benefits:

• Versatile: Operate and window covering that has a loop-end cord or bead-chain (new or existing).
  • Practical: Combine various types of controllers for multiple benefits.  Example: Remote, plus a timer offers convenience, security and energy savings.
  • Operate hard to reach window coverings.
  • Aid the elderly and disabled.
  • Light-feed plants.  Prevent fading.
  • Affordable automation anywhere: home, office, rental property, vacation home.

Strange...  ???

seedyburner

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »

On the UM506, when it is set to momentary you push the 'on' to activate it. Does the 'off' command switch the polarity or does it do nothing?

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 02:17:38 PM »

I went to several places for information and pricing.

I found the best description at:
http://www.homecontrols.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/91/sesent/00/Add-A-Motor-Drapery-Control-Motor

AH! Un seƱor mucho mejor!  :)

There's an X-10 Specifications section in the:

IH7020 - ADD A MOTOR Manual

TakeTheActive

• Old !@#$% Tinkerer!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »

On the UM506, when it is set to momentary you push the 'on' to activate it. Does the 'off' command switch the polarity or does it do nothing?

The UM506 is already OFF, so... ;)

The polarity is determined by the DPDT relay, controlled by the AM466.

seedyburner

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 07:00:01 PM »

That motor is still 100 bux. I think it can be done for much less. I was thinking about a motor controller or a microcontroller. Does anyone know anything about these. I plan to go to the hobby shop tomorrow and ask some questions.

http://www.robotobjects.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=67
http://www.robotobjects.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=390
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:11:16 PM by seedyburner »

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »

Earlier today, I posted with the price $62.15 which is well below 100 bucks.
Also the link of where to get it.   http://www.worthdist.com/aam/aam80.htm

seedyburner, I went to the links you posted and several thoughts raced through my mind, none of which I will not post.
All that I can say is, if the Add-A-Motor isn't for you. Then, I wish you the very best of luck with your project.   :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:43:49 PM by Otis69 »
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 12:49:26 PM »

Otis69

I think the Add-A-Motor would be very hard to adapt to "black-out" shades, which I assume are similar to standard window shades -  meaning a single cord is used to pull them down. The Add-A-Motor wants a loop through cord, like standard window drapes or verticals.  Maybe one could mount a pulley on the shade roller and use a cord loop around the pulley. However this method does not provide a "stop" to tighten one side of the loop as it is being pulled. That action is what stops the Add-A-Motor and changes the internal direction switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.