Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TM751 Not working with AHP  (Read 8658 times)

bill_pfaff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
TM751 Not working with AHP
« on: December 14, 2006, 08:19:02 PM »

I apologize for some not too bright questions here but I'll plead "New kid" and ask anyway.

I just got a TM751 with the X10 Platinum Remote. 

I immediately unpacked it and, following all the instructions, I got everything to work just fine (with the remote that is).

I then wanted to make the TM751 work with my CM15A.  I opened the software on my computer, plugged in the USB cable, and loaded a TM751 icon to my "Room" in the AHP software. The house code was already assigned as "A" in the software so I figured I was all set to go.  I flicked the switch and vala......  nothing happened.

Anyone have any ideas????  BTW.  The unit code is "1" in the software settings for the TM751 as is the unit code for ALL the other modules in the house.

I'm really getting frustrated here as I was hoping that the TM571 would be the answers to my problem of getting ALL the modules in the house to work correctly ALL the time.

I was controlling the modules with a wired controller unit and was having some problems such that some of the modules would work all the time and some of the modules wouldn't.  Funny thing was, the modules that wouldn't work would not not work all the time.  Every time the system would turn on the lights, some of the modules wouldn't work, and the next time the lights turned on some of the modules that didn't work the time before would work.       

I bought the CM15A hoping that that would solve my nonworking module problem but the same thing happened.  I then figured I would put a few TM751's in the system to boost the signal to the modules I was having trouble with and so solving my problems; however, that doesn't seem to be working either which is going to really depress me unless someone can help me.

Thanks in advance
Bill

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: TM751 Not working with AHP
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 08:40:18 PM »

I then figured I would put a few TM751's in the system to boost the signal to the modules I was having trouble with...

Not a good plan. You can use multiple TM751's in a system, but you have to be careful to avoid power line collisions. Multiple TM751's will NOT boost the signal to the modules.

What you need to do is get a phase coupler and search out your power line noise / signal sucker problems.

Read TTA's X10 Troubleshooting Tips Thread ...particularly Map / Measure / Correct. ;)

bill_pfaff

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 09:50:52 PM »

So it looks like my feeble attempt at this X10 thing is just that, a feeble attempt.

From what I'm reading I can see I have a lot of work to do.  I just found this forum and it looks like there is a lot of good stuff here.  I just need to get organized and get into it.

Thanks for the feedback and the tip. 

Just one last question though.  Shouldn't I be able to turn on the TM751 through the AHP/CM15A?  Even if I do have noise and phasing issues I would think the AHP should work the module because it's communications protocol is RF, not across the wire.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 10:07:50 PM »

Just one last question though.  Shouldn't I be able to turn on the TM751 through the AHP/CM15A?  Even if I do have noise and phasing issues I would think the AHP should work the module because it's communications protocol is RF, not across the wire.

You are correct here... that should work regardless of the other issues.

Did you download your setup to the CM15A?
Can you turn the Transceiver's built in module On & OFF with your Remote?

Also, look at the distance and what the RF signal has to travel trough to get from CM15A to the TM751. Keep in mind that some walls, ceilings & floors have metal duct work hidden in them that can prevent an RF signal from getting to it's destination.

vhoang

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
    • Automation Tips & Mini DLLs
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »

I don't believe the TM751 tranceiver will respond to PLC.   If you got the remote to work, try moving the tranceiver right next to the CM15A to see if it can pick up the RF and eliminate the distance factor when testing.

Cleaning up and understanding you home's PLC medium will be your best path if you want to do more X10.

Read the helpful guides already available on the forums and feel free to ask away. 

Lots of knowledgeable/friendly and active forum folks around.

Welcome aboard!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 04:20:13 PM »

If you are trying to turn the local relay in the TM751 on and off. It only will respond to RF signals from a remote. It has no powerline X10 signal receiver so line signals are not seen; from any controller. That is also why it sometimes steps on other X10 powerline signals. It can't detect X10 Powerline signals and just sends a received RF signal back on the powerline.
Since the CM15A also has an RF transmitter AHP maybe able to control it by RF like a remote.
Hopefully someone who has tried it may give more data.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 05:20:43 PM »

True, the TM751 relay responds only to RF and not PLC.  However the CM15A does transmit RF when the TM751 device is selected and the TM751 should respond when the On/Off button on the icon is clicked.   I thought perhaps it might make a difference whether or not the CM15A was set to transceive on that housecode, but tried it both ways and the TM751 responded either way.

Note: I remember that the CM15A did NOT transmit RF for the TM751 with the first few releases of ActiveHome Pro, but that's been fixed for well over a year now.

Note added in edit: I am running AHP 3.206 under Win XP SP2.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 03:00:44 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »

I've been using a TM751 with AHP since the Iwitness plug-in came out, make sure that it is configured in AHP as a RF transceiver!
Depending on which OS your running that may be all you need to do!
But as Puck and my self discovered if using windows 2000 you need to tell AHP to send RF to this device for it to work! ::)
also you may have to go into yout hardware configuration and make sure that the house code which the TM751 is on is set to not transceive you may have to click the specific button for this to take! ;) :D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 02:57:11 PM »

I've been using a TM751 with AHP since the Iwitness plug-in came out, make sure that it is configured in AHP as a RF transceiver!
Depending on which OS your running that may be all you need to do!
But as Puck and my self discovered if using windows 2000 you need to tell AHP to send RF to this device for it to work! ::)
also you may have to go into yout hardware configuration and make sure that the house code which the TM751 is on is set to not transceive you may have to click the specific button for this to take! ;) :D

That's interesting!  I see no option in AHP under Win XP SP2 for sending or not sending RF for the TM751.  Where does that appear in AHP under Win 2000?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »

I think you need the smart macro plug-in to do this others could correct me if I'm wrong! ::) ;)
You can send RF the options are under the commands  pull down called RF commands right under advanced functions
drag it into your macros and you can set the address! ;) :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 05:09:03 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »

Tuicemen:
OK, I understand that may be true for a macro, but bill pfaff's problem is that the physical TM751 doesn't respond when he clicks the switch on the TM751 icon.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »

In xp sp 2 which I'm running I don't need to do this as I have the TM751 set as a "Transcievr Module (RF)"
Puck on the other hand (running 2000)  has to create a macro triggered by the TM751 that sends RF to that module in order for it to work. Perhaps he can chime in with a better explanation! ;) :D ;D
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 07:51:47 PM »

What Tuicemen and I found out was that addresses outside of Unit Code 1 had to be specified as RF commands in Win2K as opposed to direct addressing in Win XP, if you tell AHP that the House Code is a TM751 Transceiver.

(confusing, but I hope that helps make sense)

David Mark

• Helpful Post Rating: -3
    • Ohio Media Group
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 08:46:34 PM »

I can't understand why the OS would enter into it.  Defining one of these transceiver modules should not affect the way macros send commands (ie PLC or RF.)  From AHP's perspective, this is basically an appliance module that requires RF, so clicking its icon in the interface should send 1 ON or 1 OFF via RF (you can verify this in the activity log if it hasn't reached 999 yet.)  Within each macro you can choose to send RF explicity (and it does not require the SmartMacros plugin as I don't have that one), but that should have nothing to do with the installed transceiver modules.

Now what is the difference with Win 2K/XP?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 11:20:02 PM »

I can't understand why the OS would enter into it.  Defining one of these transceiver modules should not affect the way macros send commands (ie PLC or RF.)  From AHP's perspective, this is basically an appliance module that requires RF, so clicking its icon in the interface should send 1 ON or 1 OFF via RF (you can verify this in the activity log if it hasn't reached 999 yet.)  Within each macro you can choose to send RF explicity (and it does not require the SmartMacros plugin as I don't have that one), but that should have nothing to do with the installed transceiver modules.

Now what is the difference with Win 2K/XP?

Nothing.

TM751's are less robust than RR501 transievers.   A 751 will recieve RF signals hit or miss, a 501 will recieve every time. I've used both and both 751's are in the X10 storage box I keep.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.