Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wall Switches  (Read 5393 times)

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Wall Switches
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:18:37 PM »

What do you guys recommend for wall switches?

I bought 7 used PCS X10 switches off a co worker that comes with a 30+ page programming manual that I plan to use for the common areas  ;D

I also have other areas like the toilet areas (toilet and sink are separated by door) which is just one bulb, the laundry room, the garage (just one bulb connected to the switch on a socket rocket for now with other lamps also on socket rockets), one walk-in closet, A single bulb over the sink (if you don't turn on the main flour lights, and bedroom switches (the switches in all bedrooms control top outlet in a receptacle)

What are some affordable but still decent switches I can get for these areas? paddle switches are preferable to match the ones I already have. dimming isn't necessary, although it would be nice in the bedrooms.

A couple of questionable areas I have are the china cabinet contains 4 50-watt bulbs and 4 30-watt bulbs for 320 watts, master bathroom has Hollywood style bulb globes, and the other two bathrooms have 4-bulb fixtures.

Brandt

Re: Wall Switches
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »

preferably switches that can have their status monitored by x10 monitoring software.

Brandt

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 02:14:37 AM »

i've been looking on ebay for switchlincs and toggle lincs....I find it tough to cross reference the different parts I see....smarthome only offers parts catalog for their current models...does anyone know the old part numbers?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:05:56 AM »

You may find some models manuals in their discontinued products web page.
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals.html
http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/SHD-Matrix-ToggleLinc.pdf

You may find some data not 100% sure with the X10Pro cross reference as I think the Smarthome ones may have been on it.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/crossref.html

Also Smarthome chose to use the older X10 %Dim command. That may matter in some cases. Mine when a status request is made send back a %dim level message.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:51:14 PM by Brian H »

Brandt

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »

I picked up a couple ivory x10 pro versions of the ws467, but I don't like the ramp rate, and it turns out I don't care for dimming in these certain areas either..but I don't see a non-dimming version of this switch?

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

I picked up a couple ivory x10 pro versions of the ws467, but I don't like the ramp rate, and it turns out I don't care for dimming in these certain areas either..but I don't see a non-dimming version of this switch?

For non-dimming applications you can use the X10Pro XPS3.
  http://www.x10pro.com/pro/pdf/xps3.pdf
It has a Decora-style paddle, requires a neutral wire, and operates with a relay so the "click" may be objectionable.

You might take a look at Smarthome's ToggleLinc series.  The switch looks more like a regular On/Off mechanical switch, it is 2-way,  and for Dimmer models, the ramp rate is adjustable.   For relay models, Smarthome acoustically isolates the relay a little better so the "click" is softer.  These  also requires a neutral wire.  (Any relay or 2-way wall switch will require a neutral wire in the switch box.)

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brandt

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

I'd love to have the switchlincs allover the house if I could, but I'm not that rich. I would also hate to drop that much cash on togglelincs for both this areas which are just single 60 watt bulb fixtures. One is in the laundry room, and one is over the kitchen sink (along with a 6 bulb flourescent fixture).

I think that sometimes the preset get set locally on the switch by uninformed house members. Then they complain that the light doesnt come on very bright anymore with the motion sensor.

I'm wondering if on my heyu script I should also reset the xpreset back to 63 when an motion sensor on command is detected.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »

<snip>
I think that sometimes the preset get set locally on the switch by uninformed house members. Then they complain that the light doesnt come on very bright anymore with the motion sensor.

I'm wondering if on my heyu script I should also reset the xpreset back to 63 when an motion sensor on command is detected.

You'll probably need to do that, and it has the advantage that the light brightens instantly instead of the slow ramp.  You can use "xon" which is a shorthand for "xpreset 63".
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Brandt

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:42:52 AM »

<snip>

You'll probably need to do that, and it has the advantage that the light brightens instantly instead of the slow ramp.  You can use "xon" which is a shorthand for "xpreset 63".

excellent, i'll try this tonight.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.