Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM11A with USB Adapter  (Read 5310 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
CM11A with USB Adapter
« on: February 22, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »

Has anyone tried using the CM11A with a serial to usb adapter? I'm looking in to moving my HA computer to maybe something like a NUK but since these newer mini pc's do not have a serial port, I was wondering if I could use a serial to usb adapter. Or should I just use the CM15A?

I didn't really want to use the CM15A for 2 reasons. First, I use home control software and would have to use a special driver and settings so nothing would update the driver. Second, I use a WGL W800USB for the wireless signal and didn't want the CM15A to conflict. Things are just simpler using the CM11A.

I was also thinking about getting a Insteon 2413U but wasn't sure if the new one's still worked with X10. I know the older one did but not sure about the new version.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM11A with USB Adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:43:52 AM »

The only issue you might run into is the ring signal from the CM11A. I don't recall what DB9 pin it used but it was used to wake the PC in advance of sending it any powerline activity received by the CM11A. Logging of PLC activity, triggering some macros, etc. occurs at the PC level. Different USB-Serial adapters handle handshake lines differently so without knowing which adapter, which NUK and which DB9 pin I can't offer any definitive advice.

If your NUK sleeps, it may need the ring signal, but how it handles it may differ from what was common in the days of the CM11A. And, if needed, how or if the ring signal traverses your USB-Serial adapter may be a problem.

As best I recall, Wake-On-Ring, when available, was set in the BIOS. I have a couple of Lenovo Q190 PCs which are a bit bigger than a NUK and which do sleep - I have to move the mouse or hit a key to wake them. Both run Windows 10 and I'm not sure how to access any BIOS settings that may be available were I to try interfacing a CM11A.

FYI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-ring

This is the best source for USB-Serial adapters. They have excellent prices, excellent service and complete info on which signals are handled...
http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/category=USB+to+Single+Serial+Adapters/exact_match=exact

DUH!: http://www.db9-pinout.com/
It's been too long for my ancient gray cells. I had forgotten that the RI (ring indicator) was standard on DB9 connectors and always used pin 9.

I think one of Jeff Volp's units emulates a CM11A. So, he may be more current on this issue.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:36:05 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:34:35 PM »

The CM11A protocol paper. Indicates that RI is used and when a power line signal is being received. RI is used to indicate a power line command is being received. There is a command to disable it but that also disables some functions and was for troubleshooting use.

Smarthome has indicated all Insteon devices are going to drop X10 support. I believe the 2413S/U still do process X10. My hardware 2.1 2413S recently purchased still does.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 05:23:41 PM »

Thanks guys. I finally heard back from HCA support and I can use the CM15A with the W800. I just need to tell HCA to ignore the wireless signals from the CM15A. I think I will go that route since I still have a CM15A.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »

You need to make sure the CM15A is configured internally to NOT transcode any RF signals to PLC.  If it was set to do that with AHP, then it will continue to do so without AHP.  I had this problem initially when I switched to a different automation software and it was very confusing.  Granted, I was using it as a backup and transceiving was performed with a second CM15A.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »

You need to make sure the CM15A is configured internally to NOT transcode any RF signals to PLC.  If it was set to do that with AHP, then it will continue to do so without AHP.  I had this problem initially when I switched to a different automation software and it was very confusing.  Granted, I was using it as a backup and transceiving was performed with a second CM15A.

This is a new CM15A that was never used. So is the wireless to plc turned off by default? I don't remember.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »

Tools.
Hardware Configuration.
Choices are None, Auto and Specific. Specific lets you choose the House Codes to transceive.
Set to Auto by default. If memory serves me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »

Set to Auto by default. If memory serves me.

Well your memory is still in tact!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »

That's unfortunate for those who don't want to use AHP.  That means they have to install AHP just to set up the transceiver house codes (assuming their other HA software can't do it).  But, I suppose that's not X10's problem since they are providing AHP free of charge now.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:29 AM »

I can't say if this would work with the later CM15A with the surface mounted parts and all the RF on the main board.

On the RF Receiver Daughter Board model. There is a enable pin on the RF receiver chip. It can turn off the RF receiver.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »

I have another email in to HCA support. Since they use a special driver, not the original for the cm15a, I'm asking if their driver will disable the wireless in the unit or just in their program.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »

I can't say if this would work with the later CM15A with the surface mounted parts and all the RF on the main board.

On the RF Receiver Daughter Board model. There is a enable pin on the RF receiver chip. It can turn off the RF receiver.

They use the same chip so it may be possible to disable it that way but just telling the MCU to not transceive anything, if possible, is best.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »

If the radio chip were desoldered/lead clipped, would the rest of the CM15A still function?  Seems like it would simply never see any incoming RF and assume it didn't have any.  Or, clip the antenna?  The range is bad to start with so removing the antenna should make it basically zero.

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »

HCA support can't say with certainty if setting their software to ignore the wireless signal from the CM15a actually disables the wireless in the unit. I mentioned by default the cm15a will transcode all wireless housecodes and transmit them to plc automatically unless this behavior is changed with AHP. They said they have several cm15a units in their lab for testing and it has never been a problem. Maybe they just never noticed or cared so I will try testing it myself this weekend if I have time.

I have a brand new unit that has never been used. I will connect it to my HCA server using the HCA version of the driver and set HCA to ignore the wireless from it. I will then disable my W800 so the only wireless I have is the cm15a. I will then see if it still transmits the received wireless to plc.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:37 PM »

I tried my test CM15A with AHP.
Set the Hardware to Transceived House Codes NONE.
I then used a HR12A Palm Pad to send some X10RF commands on each House Code. None where sent back on the power lines. The Activity Monitor still showed the X10 RF commands where received.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.