Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clear Interface command  (Read 5413 times)

summeratlast

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Clear Interface command
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »

Hi,

I expected that the Clear Interface command in AHP would turn all outlets to OFF (A1 through P16). I wrote a small macro that comprises a choice between two possible sequences. After having used the Clear Interface command, I saved the macro into the interface module . Guess what, the wrong sequence was chosen (meaning that the dummy module that I was testing was not OFF after the Clear Interface command). Could someone tell me more about this command.

Thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Clear Interface command
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »

I expected that the Clear Interface command in AHP would turn all outlets to OFF (A1 through P16). ...................... Could someone tell me more about this command.

I was under the impression that Clear Interface [memory] would simply delete any stored data (date, time, location, commands, macros)
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 08:39:53 AM »

You are correct.   You use it to clear the interface when you change .AHP files, like the differences between a file for Winter and a file for Summer.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:22:56 PM »

You are correct.   You use it to clear the interface when you change .AHP files, like the differences between a file for Winter and a file for Summer.
In theory this isn't necessary as loading one will overwrite the current one but many do take the extra step of clearing the CM15A as an extra precaution. Some will even pull their batteries out to assure default condition. There are differing experiences as how this effects flag conditions, however.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

summeratlast

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »

Even after using the Clear Interface command, the state of the contacts (ON or OFF) of the various house codes used as flags appears to be unknown at the time a macro is entered into the interface. So I guess one has to initialize each dummy module to the desired state before entering the macro into the interface. Still, it puzzles me that the Clear Interface command does not set (either ON or OFF) all of the internal registers that represent the 256 house codes. I guess I'll have to live with it.

dash

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 03:09:13 AM »

I've noticed that memory usage in the interface before and after using the 'clear interface' command stays at the same percentage.

Still not sure from the earlier comments what 'clear interface' actually does...
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:34 AM »

I've noticed that memory usage in the interface before and after using the 'clear interface' command stays at the same percentage.

That would force me to assume that your volume of saved macros isn't.... large. I think the space required for date and time is actually reserved... and normal ahx files [macros] don't require much space. Hence... it takes some real macros to effect the percentage. However... some users have reportedly filled the memory.

I just checked my Home Automation Computer [so as] to be accurate... and I currently have 87.36% of [the interface] resources available.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »

...some users have reportedly filled the memory...
I'm not sure how but I wouldn't doubt it.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dash

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

Just what does happen when...

1   you clear the interface using the menu command Tools/Cear Interface Memory - I'm still not clear despite having browsed this forum

2   you unplug interface and remove battery for 30mins

I've been making a number of changes to my macros last couple of weeks and have taken the precaution of unplugging the interface and removing the battery for 30mins before restoring power and downloading the new settings.

However, after doing this I notice that memory usage (in Tools/Hardware Configuration) shows more space being taken by macros each time, despite macros being made simpler and items removed.

It's almost as if macros are not being cleared at all, and each download is taking a bit more memory.

Currently: macros 5.51, timed events 1.35, dusk/dawn 13.52 (the latter 2 stay constant all the time). Macros showed 5.40 before last power down and new download despite an ELSE being removed and fewer timed events in remaining macros...

How long should it take for memory to clear after removing batteries and power?

What are the default memory readings for an empty interface module?

Any other way of ensuring a complete reset of interface memory?

Thanks

Dave

Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »

1   you clear the interface using the menu command Tools/Cear Interface Memory - I'm still not clear despite having browsed this forum

Writes a fixed data byte (either 0x00 or 0xFF) in all user program EEPROM memory.

Clears all RAM.

dash

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 04:12:22 PM »

Clears all RAM.

If that's the case why, when I restore power and immediately look at memory usage, is around 20% already used (approx 5.4% macros, 1.35% timed events and 13.5% dusk/dawn. Shouldn't these have been wiped?

Confused....

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 08:47:46 PM »

Clears all RAM.

If that's the case why, when I restore power and immediately look at memory usage, is around 20% already used (approx 5.4% macros, 1.35% timed events and 13.5% dusk/dawn. Shouldn't these have been wiped?

Confused....

As I recall, the memory usage is computed only when a schedule of timers and macros is downloaded.  There is a minimum memory overhead which is what you may be seeing after clearing the memory, e.g., the dawn/dusk tables and some jump instructions for timer and macro memory regions.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.