🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

Automation with Alexa

<< < (82/83) > >>

HA Dave:
Been setting up my new (Alexa compatible) Home Automation hardware. God I wish X10 would jump on board with a skill for their wifi device.   

Arthur C. Clarke famously claimed: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. (In other words, the only difference between technology and magic, is that the one is something that we understand today; the other something that we do not yet understand, but eventually will.)

So whereas there in no actual magic... Amazon is making this stuff behave very closely to what I'd expect magic to be like.

I am now running two of the cheapest Alexa compatible brands of wifi cameras (which means the camera integrate with the Alexa [phone] app and cloud based server-software. I think.... it would be much better/easier/more functional to stick with Ring brand hardware... if dollars isn't an issue.

Of course... the "NEW tech" seems to be more geared towards monthly fee's for cloud services than out-right purchase price. I really doubt if I am alone in not enjoying this concept. But... even without "cloud fee's" I can get a real force/effect multiplier by adding a couple wifi cameras with short cloud video and memory card video to my wired HD-DVR cameras. AND... I can ask Alexa to "show me "the back yard" or "garage" and Alexa displays the video on the little screen that's part of the Amazon-Alexa device.

Pretty cool... but there is a logon lag... it takes a few seconds (NOT magic). 

But the Ring motion sensing... so far... seems (if not flawless) at the very least exceptional. And I have voice/location announcements back (gone since I took BVC off-line). And Ring can trigger little routines/programs/macros/robots/events (whatever you want to call them). It should take too much of a if-this-than-that to maybe get a camera-pixel-motion-sensor combo event/robot/macro/program/whatever setup.

brobin:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on December 27, 2019, 11:27:01 PM ---Been setting up my new (Alexa compatible) Home Automation hardware. God I wish X10 would jump on board with a skill for their wifi device.   

--- End quote ---

While X10 seems asleep at the wheel when it comes to Alexa/GH devices, I've mentioned the Smartenit Harmony product that has a properly implemented and supported Alexa Skill (as well the equivalent for GH) plus apps and a web portal.  The basic unit, the P2, supports X10 & Insteon using a 2412 or 2413 S or U PLM as well as ZigBee devices.  The P2 connects to your network via Ethernet and only costs $50 (plus $25 for the 2412U PLM if needed).  That's at least $35 less than the WM100 and it does more. 

The Pi Alexa hub worked great but I also wanted an app and liked that there's an 'official' skill that stays current.  I didn't jump on the HG train as my trusty Stargate does everything I want and after 20 years I can program it in my sleep. 

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on December 27, 2019, 11:27:01 PM ---Been setting up my new (Alexa compatible) Home Automation hardware. God I wish X10 would jump on board with a skill for their wifi device.   
--- End quote ---
Saddly the only thing Authinx has that controls x10 over the internet is the WM100. And although the developer did state they would create skill for it that hasn't happened.  :(  Authinx saddly can't  make a skill with out that developer.
Not all skills are easy to setup nor work 100% of the time so given the state of the WM100  WiFi app I'd suspect its skill would be the same. There are several ways to get Alexa control of ones X10 devices without a deadicated x10 skill there are at least 8 skills capable of doing x10.

On another note my wife has been after me to get a fit bit for a couple of years now. Yesterday I broke down and ordered one with Alexa abilities as several stores had boxing day sales making them attractive. I've not worn a watch since retiring 10 years ago so this will be like a step back but two forward  rofl

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: brobin on December 28, 2019, 01:15:41 AM ---.... I've mentioned the Smartenit Harmony product that has a properly implemented and supported Alexa Skill (as well the equivalent for GH) plus apps and a web portal.  The basic unit, the P2, supports X10 & Insteon using a 2412 or 2413 S or U PLM as well as ZigBee devices.  The P2 connects to your network via Ethernet and only costs $50 (plus $25 for the 2412U PLM if needed).

--- End quote ---

Yes... you have mentioned that (and I am glad you have). You should mention it often. And I should mention that I use a Homeseer (Pi) device connected to a CM15A (for an X10 interface) more often than I do as well.

I really don't mind... mixing and matching the various protocols and flavors of Home Automation products. But... I really sorta wish X10 was still a one-stop-shop as well.

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on December 28, 2019, 08:54:15 AM ---...Saddly the only thing Authinx has that controls x10 over the internet is the WM100. .......
.....There are several ways to get Alexa control of ones X10 devices without a deadicated x10 skill there are at least 8 skills capable of doing x10.

On another note my wife has been after me to get a fit bit for a couple of years now. Yesterday I broke down and ordered one with Alexa abilities as several stores had boxing day sales making them attractive. I've not worn a watch since retiring 10 years ago so this will be like a step back but two forward  rofl

--- End quote ---

It's important to keep trying new things. I like the idea of a fit bit! I've been looking at the Alexa earbuds... and the Jabra earbuds (that are also Alexa capable). But a fit bit might be a better idea.

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on December 28, 2019, 12:59:31 PM ---
It's important to keep trying new things. I like the idea of a fit bit! I've been looking at the Alexa earbuds... and the Jabra earbuds (that are also Alexa capable). But a fit bit might be a better idea.

--- End quote ---
I'd love to be able to try new things as often as I did when working but then I'd have a few more boxes of obsolete devices. rofl
I tend to stand back and watch things develop a bit now, preferring multiuse items as more and more devices are becoming smarter. That was the reasoning behind getting the flex over another Dot. One of my Pi ZeroW boards is running from the USB port on it now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version