Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GFCI question  (Read 4816 times)

hpservertech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
GFCI question
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »

Part of my project is going to include installing a few flood lights (x10), wall switches and powerflash module out to my shed.  Will give a little backround to help answer my question.

She is going to be fed from main panel to a 60amp sub panel.  There will be 2 15amp breakers and 1 20 amp gfci breaker.  The 20 amp gfci breaker is being put in for a pool pump that is going to be installed at a later date.  I plan on putting in an x10 pro outlet for the pool pump off the gfci breaker so that I can turn the pump on/off when I want.

Will I run into any issues with this setup, specifically the gfci side.  I have read that some gfci's absorb the x10 signal.  Has anyone installed any gfci breakers without issues?  If so what brand?  The current plan is to use Square D QO series since that is also what's installed in my main panel.

Any suggestions or comments?  Any issues I should be aware of or things I should change.

Oh, and if I should put these types of questions in a different area, please let me know.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: GFCI question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »

I have read that some gfci's absorb the x10 signal.  Has anyone installed any gfci breakers without issues?  If so what brand?  The current plan is to use Square D QO series since that is also what's installed in my main panel.

As you said "some" GFI's will not pass X10 signals. The good news is I have Square D panel with 20A GFI breaker feeding outside outlets...no problems, all the modules on that circuit work fine. I don't know what series breaker I have (the panel is 1970ish) but would imagine internally they would be similar. AFIs are a different matter and do kill X10, (that isn't meant to be an all encompassing statement...maybe some do not interfere with X10)  so avoid an arc fault /ground fault combination breaker.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hpservertech

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »

Thanks Dave!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »

Our landscape lights are also fed through a 20A Square D GFI breaker with no problem (even running barefoot without XTB boost).  And the Square D Arc Fault that feeds my office/lab similarly passes X10 signals just fine.  I use the RF transceiver at the opposite end of the house when testing weak signal reception in my lab.  Both the Square D GFI and Arc Fault were bought several years ago.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »

Thanks Jeff. interestingly it was a Square D AGFI that stopped my X10. But if I understand how the AFI works, I can't think of why it would block X10. I took the breaker back for  exchange for simple GFI, they are too expensive to tear-up "to see what's inside".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

hpservertech

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 03:19:18 PM »

Thanks guys.  Hope that these type of questions aren't too noobie-ish.  Have another question that I'll create a new post about.  Have my parts list finalized now.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.