Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LAN NETWORKING USING X10 PROTOCOL?  (Read 5234 times)

cupid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LAN NETWORKING USING X10 PROTOCOL?
« on: August 20, 2006, 03:19:20 AM »

Anybody have knowledge about how to transfer digital data using USB through X10 220/50Hz protocol. If yes then can he send me Schematic and relevant material?

cupid

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: LAN NETWORKING USING X10 PROTOCOL?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 03:27:16 AM »

Are you have any idea of LAN networking using X10 protocol, just between two systems.
I have been an X10 fan now for about 20 years and have enjoyed  the convenience very much.  Granted, I have had problems but have acquired enough troubleshooting experience to deal with whatever issue pops up - and most of the issues have been my fault, not the X10 equipment.  I live in a modest house on the Big Island of Hawai'i and would characterize my X10 system as relatively complex - a true X10-wired home.  This includes a security system with four cameras including the professional pan/tilt XC21A, contact and moition detection alarms and over 35 modules, all controlled by Active Home Pro on my laptop.  Oh, I've had the usual interference issues, inoperative modules, phase problem, etc. all of which I carefully worked through and solved by myself.  I even use Vanguard and Active Home Remote My House on the internet which can be slow at times but generally works great.  I think the biggest problem I have had is the door/window sensors in the security system which occasionally malfunction.  They are cheap enough to just replace - the postage being more to return the defective units.   Overall, the price for individual units and those that are on sale frequently is extremely reasonable.  The most expense item I have in my system is the Pro Pan/Tilt Camera for which I paid $499 and is now being offered at $299.  It was worth $499 in my opinion.  I have demonstrated my system to many neighbors and visitors most of whom now have X10 equipment themselves.  My recommendation, whenever you have a problem, is to carefully and logically go over the entire system asking yourself what changes on additions you have made in your house since the last time the system was working fine.  Yes, 2.4 ghz telephones play havoc with the security system, and that's why I switched to 5.8 ghz telephones.  I suddenly noticed about five light fixtures that stopped responding to X10 commands and narrowed it down to the battery charger in a new Black and Decker portable drill I had just purchased.  Well, a filter solved the problem with that (I use about 6 other filters in the house to eliminate problems).  So, am I happy with X10.  Yes, I am very happy with it.  It's cheap, fun to use, and very convenient.  Folks, just be patient and take a logical look at your system whenever you have problems.  Nothing's perfect in life you know!  Aloha!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »

X10 on a LAN. Easy.  Install Active Home Pro and the CM15A interface on the server, and set everything up (modules, timers, macros, etc.) and make sure AHP does what you want it to to.

Then share it.  Workstations will be able to run AHP from their PC's.  On the server, permisions should allow only operation, not changes.

Of course, the next question is "Why do you want to do it?".
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »

Dan:
User cupid is interested in sending  data over the power lines using the X10 protocol, not controlling X10 modules over the LAN.  But since the X10 protocol only transmits 1 bit per cycle, I suspect that approach won't be feasible.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »

The X10 protocol transmits 1 bit of data per AC cycle, i.e., somewhere around 0.000006 Megabyte/second at 50 Hz.  Will you be satisfied with that data rate?

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »

I think you are right.

Since X10 transmits 1 bit per cycle, sending via a LAN is not feasable.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:33:12 AM »

If you want to send DATA, X10 is extremely impratical.
By DATA, do you mean files and the like ? If you do then X10 in not the way to go.
You are then taking about a network. To avoid having to run cat 5 cable, you can use PowerLine ethernet adapters (about $30 USD each).
You will need one for each computer. You can then transmit data from one computer to another. Using these, the data is sent over your existing house wires, eliminating the need to run any additional cabeling.
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

gil shultz

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »

Good Evening,

Not to sound smart but s10 is sold as a low speed control system, not a network data system.  Granted it can be done at extremely slow speeds. 

If you want to transfer digital data via the power line there are units out there that do the job.  One of the more robust uses CAN (Controlled Area Network) but the data rate is slower then most of the others.

My suggestion is to use the proper tool for the job.  A teaspoon could be used to dig a foundation for a house but it will take a long time.

Enjoy

Gil Shultz

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.