Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Redirected input very slow  (Read 2174 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Redirected input very slow
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »

I have an XPT switch module with 4 on/off pad that I've just installed.  The thing seems to work fine if I send commands directly to the desired module.  The thing is, I thought it would be better to have the XPT send a different house code and have AHP redirect the input to the desired light rather than hard code things by opening all the switch plates and adjusting.  Doing things this way allows me to then have my SS13A work with a couple of those lights and a couple different ones while maintaining the order on the switch that I wanted.

Ok, so it does work...sort of.  I press the button, the AHP activity monitor shows the input, the activity monitor shows that it's running the macro, the light turns on.  The problem is that this takes ~5 seconds from button press to light on.  Some of that is the soft start, but most is that the macro takes time to fire.  Is there a way to improve this performance so it's more or less instant?

When I showed my wife last night, let's just say the WAF was NOT there.

Oh, in case it's not obvious...

Macro Name: Redirect XPT - B2 On
Trigger: B2 On
Action: A2 On

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Redirected input very slow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »

Ben,

We all know the X10 protocol is slow anyway, but it seems that you are asking for a PLC to travel to your AHP, then asking AHP to think a little and then send another PLC to the light.

To me, this 5 second delay is logical and normal.  A direct command should run in about half the time or less.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »

The XPT is maybe 1/2 to 1 second slower than the actual light switch.  I just didn't expect the added delay to be 2+ seconds.  Can I assume that there's no setting available to decrease the delay in the CM15A in AHP?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

Just as assuredly as both suns will rise on Tatooine.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »

Can I assume that there's no setting available to decrease the delay in the CM15A in AHP?
Yes.

Each X10 command takes approximately 700 to 800 milliseconds. Round that up to about a second. I think your ~ 5 seconds is high, perhaps because of the Soft Start feature. In reality you turning on one address and having AHP transpose to another address should take about 2 seconds. The PLC commands are transmitted as 1 digital bit per AC powerline cycle. So it is just the nature of X10 protocol, it can't be speeded up.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.