Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Phase coupler didn't help  (Read 5840 times)

flameout

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
My Phase coupler didn't help
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »

I purchased the SignaLinc Plug-in Phase Coupler (4816B2) hoping this would solve my X10 problems, but it didn't help at all. Still have outlets that won't respond. Could the phase coupler be bad or could it be something else. I have it plugged into a 220v dryer outlet in my basement (close to breaker box) I also have a 220v outlet in my kitchen (I don't use either one)

My home is only about 1000 SF (Single story Ranch) So I wasn't expecting all of these problems. For the most part, it seems like 75% of X10 modules I want to control are on the same phase, but the phase that isn't working is the one my computer is on, so I can't leave my CM15A plugged into my computer and leave AHP running (to take advantage of myHouse, etc)

I've read http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Phase_Coupling but not sure what to buy/try next

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: My Phase coupler didn't help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:43 AM »

Computers use switching power supplies that need internal line filters to prevent excessive conducted radiation.  The cheapest way to prevent this radiation is to place a large capacitor directly across the AC input, which effectively shunts the internal switching signal to ground.  Unfortunately, that inexpensive fix also does the same to any X10 signal on that circuit.

To prevent this problem, you will need a plug-in X10 line filter such as the XPPF to isolate the computer power supply from the line.  They are available on eBay for less than 10 bucks.
X-10 automation since the BSR days

flameout

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »

You were right. Once I unplugged my computer, all of my outlets now work all modules from my remote. I actually had to unplug the computer from it's power supply. Just turning it off didn't help

So if I get something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/X10-PLUG-IN-LINE-NOISE-FILTER-XPPF_W0QQitemZ160080056355QQihZ006QQcategoryZ40976QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 that should take care of the problem? Can I get something like this at Home Depot or some local store? Would I then have to plug my UPS (which my computer is plugged into) into the XPPF?

Thank for the help :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:25 PM »

That is exactly what you need.  I doubt whether you will find it locally.  Most eBay sellers will get it to you within a week.

Your computer's line filter is there whether it is on or off, so only unplugging it would have made a difference.  Since you use an UPS, I would isolate the UPS from the wall with the filter.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

flameout

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »

Thanks, I'll get one today (eBay)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.