Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM15A fails communication test  (Read 10769 times)

HankNTesta

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A fails communication test
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »

I have a CM15A that has been executing the programming correctly for several months. Yesterday I tried to change the programming and I can no longer communicate with it over the USB connection. OpSys is XP Pro with all the latest updates...AHP Vers 1.4.2 software.

The computer recognizes the presence or absence of the USB connection...but no comm. Have tried COM 1, COM 2...even changed computer to COM 3 & COM 4. Tried different USB ports on the computer. Can see the presence or absence of the connection (2 ma.) through the Device Manager. Have tried the CM15A with two different computers, always with the same result. Don't want to buy another CM15A just to find out it's a computer problem...though I doubt it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: CM15A fails communication test
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

Common problem. Many posts on this forum about it.
Unplug CM15A from outlet, unplug USB cable, remove the batteries, ignore for 10 minutes.
Now start over.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong (ask my wife, I'm wrong 99% of the time) but, isn't the version posted above (1.4.2) for the old Active Home?

It was my understanding that the CM15A only worked with Active Home Pro which is now up to version 3.236 (yes, Dan, feel free to chime in on that being a buggy version).

To the OP,

Are you sure that you don't have a CM11A with a USB converter or the CM11 just plugged into a serial port?
If you have the CM15A, you might want to try a different software.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:48:55 AM »

Knightrider; You are correct.

The 1.4.2 is the old Active Home software for the Serial Port CM11A.
If it is the older CM11A and Active Home. There are known problems with Windows XP; that some users have experienced.

It does sound like the user has a USB to Serial Port Adapter in the mix.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong (ask my wife, I'm wrong 99% of the time) but, isn't the version posted above (1.4.2) for the old Active Home?

Are you sure that you don't have a CM11A with a USB converter or the CM11 just plugged into a serial port?
If you have the CM15A, you might want to try a different software.

Excellent catch Knight! Sorry, I didn't even notice that. BTW isn't your wife and my wife sisters?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:37:12 PM by dave w »

HankNTesta

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »

I apologize for the redundant post. I know that is poor etiquette, but a quick search didn't turn up an answer to my problem. If you don't put in the exact string the search engine is looking for...you don't get the answer...even if the question has been asked a thousand times.

Dave W...Thanks for the reply. I did remove the CM15A from the wall socket, removed the batteries, disconnected the module from the computer and left it disconnected from everything over night.

Software is ActiveHome version 1.42 released March 11...fresh from the X-10 web site. I mistakenly added a second period and wrote 1.4.2 in my original post. Senior moment.

I even changed the USB cable...the only element not changed or checked up to this point. Same results however...zip...zero...nada. Comm test fails on COM 2 OR COM 1.

Any more suggestions before I send the unit back for repair?

Thanks,
Hank

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »

You have the incorrect software. Active Home is only for the older CM11A.
You need Active Home Pro for the CM15A.

We are talking about the USB Interfaced CM15A and not the serial interface CM11a aren't we?

This thread has some data on where the AHP software is. Also you may also  need the registration number emailed to you when you bought the unit. To activate it.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17738.0
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 01:17:47 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »

Gents,
Look at the OP first sentence again. I think HankNTesta has simply confused the version numbers. IF the CM15A "has been executing the programming correctly for several months." and the device has a USB connection, them he must have AHP and CM15A.

Could driver be corrupted?

HankNTesta, is X10nets running?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 02:12:14 PM »

Yes he said he had a CM15A and AHP.
In the next sentence he said he was trying to use Active Home 1.42 which we know is incorrect.  So he needs to reinstall AHP or fix it if it is corrupt.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »

In the next sentence he said he was trying to use Active Home 1.42 which we know is incorrect.  So he needs to reinstall AHP or fix it if it is corrupt.
Brian,
I don't think that is what HankNTesta is saying. I read his first paragraph as saying to the effect: "I'm using CM15A and AHP and everthing WAS fine. Yesterday I changed a macro and tried to upload to the CM15A ("change the programming") but AHP won't talk to CM15A anymore".

I'm putting words in HankNTesta's mouth, but I think that is what he is saying. Next bit of confusion is the version number...the initial release of AHP was  3.142, so I think HankNTesta has kept us confused by repeating his mis quote of software versions. I think he always meant 3.142(?).

I am wonder if he simply doesn't have a COMM issue with Device Manager.

HankNTesta

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »

Okay...you guys may be on to something here. Let me explain in more detail.

Bought the whole package...CM15A and software (don't know version) some time ago. Loaded the software and the module has been programmed and working for several months...running on its own...no connection to the computer. In the mean time, the computer was down...XP pro reloaded from scratch.

Two days ago I needed to reprogram the CM15A so I went to the X-10 web site and downloaded and installed a fresh (latest) copy of "ActiveHome version 1.42 released March 11" and installed it.

If this is NOT the correct version of software for the CM15A...why is it on the X-10 web site? Their description just says "ActiveHome Windows 3.x, 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000 & XP" Nothing say it is NOT for the CM15A...likewise nothing says it is...but I don't see any other AH software listed. What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

raster69273

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »

"Go to http://software.x10.com/pub/applications/activehome/, get AHP 3.204.   Then using the update link in 3.204, upgrade to 3.228. Your .ahp files should work under 3.204 and 3.228."

This is a Quote from Dan Lawrence. Thanks Dan!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:30:37 PM by raster69273 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »

You are confusing the old Active Home Software; that is in the downloads section of X10 Support Page and the Active Home Professional that your CM15A uses. The old Active Home is still available for those that have the CM11A or the OEM RCA one X10 was selling not to long ago.
I see that others have provided you with the proper download link for AHP which is what you need for the CM15A.

HankNTesta

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »

The software I was trying to use was indeed the problem. ActiveHome 1.42 does not work with the CM15A. Too bad the web site didn't let me know that!

Thanks to all that helped troubleshoot my problem. Without you, the system would be reduced to dust under a 5 pound sledge hammer.

Thanks to raster69273 for steering me to the "REAL" software. Someone called it "flaky" which is far too kind a word!

My next hurdle is trying to figure out why this garbageware crashes whenever I go to the "Hardware Interface Configuration" window. Any thoughts on THAT matter?

From my series of posts, you would not know that I've been working with computers since the early 80's and X-10 hardware since the late 80's. My trusty Mac and CP290 controller gave me many years of reliable service even with the simplistic software...which doesn't seem to have improved all that much in nearly 30 years.

Thanks again for all your help!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »

I gotta stop reading between the lines.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.