Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What do I need to monitor several doors?  (Read 5158 times)

forthill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What do I need to monitor several doors?
« on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »

I have a need to monitor several doors in my house (front, back, patio, basement) but only to be able to know about a door opening while I'm in the house.
My kids have a habit of sneaking out at night (after we're asleep) and I'd like to have a monitoring station in my bedroom that would chime to let me know a door has been opened.
I do not need an external bell/siren - just internal notification.

I searched the X10 site but nothing really fits the bill.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
W

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: What do I need to monitor several doors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:53:30 PM »

I searched the X10 site but nothing really fits the bill.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

I read this post earlier today..... and I have had time to give this some thought. X10 has several products that could do this.... and do a FINE job. However... why not accomplish two things (or more) at one time (and the same price).

I would recommend you tell the family (the kids) that your going to PROTECT them, and install the X10 DS7000 Security System. Setup the console in your bedroom. The lights on the console will alert you when turned on (at bedtime) if your sensors have been (somehow) disabled.

If the idea is to "catch" the juvenile offender... duct tape a patch of cloth over the units built-in siren and use the lamp module to flash a light in your bedroom. And of course... the phone will ring also.

The great part about the DS7000, is you really will add an extra level of security, and protection to your home.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »

My kids have a habit of sneaking out at night (after we're asleep) and I'd like to have a monitoring station in my bedroom that would chime to let me know a door has been opened.

My sister switched to using the window.   ;D

And, let me add, she was totally shocked when 25 years later, her daughter did the same thing.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »

X10 has a deal on the Protector Plus (DS7000) that includes 10 window and door sensors.

P.S.  Could it be I know your sister?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 02:05:03 AM »

I have a need to monitor several doors in my house (front, back, patio, basement) but only to be able to know about a door opening while I'm in the house.

Thanks,
W
Weird!  I don't remember posting this...
It *must* have been me, with the kids sneaking out and all!
Oh, wait - I don't have a basement!  And I need to cover some windows, too.

I settled on a batch of DS10A sensors, a W800RF32A receiver, and a PC.
Add a couple of security remotes and, in my case, a power horn/siren.
I want 'em to wet their pants!

Dave

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 07:09:49 PM »

The DS7000 has 2 options while not armed! The first option keeps the unit silent when not armed! The second will chime when a door or window is opened ! So it is probably the  best as Dave suggests mount it in your bed room. The unit will also chime in about an hour if the door or window is left open! ;) :D ;D
A quick look at the unit will tell you which door or window is open! ;)
I use the second option at my cottage as I have been known to leave a door open and  forget to close it at night!  ::) ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

Thanks,
W

Well a couple ways you could go you could use the Protector Plus and place window/door sensors on the doors you want to monitor and then place it in the run 2 mode every time a door is opened you will hear a chime from the console one nice thing is that you could turn this off or on plus the Protector Plus is a decent alarm system which also offers you a gate way to home automation. Another approach is using a few motion detectors with this approach you will also need a transceiver and a chime. Hope this is of some help.

Tom j
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:56:29 PM by tom j »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.